Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Diseases & Outbreaks News and Discussions

disease plagues bacteria virus medicine superbugs antibiotic resistance epidemic pandemic virology

• Please log in to reply
4282 replies to this topic

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

This is like a real life apocalyptic pandemic waiting to happen O_O.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

This is like a real life apocalyptic pandemic waiting to happen O_O.

Not waiting to happen, it's happening. Goodbye progress. Goodbye technology. Hello caveman life.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

What a sickening thing to say. The reason Europe can do is because their people value education, unlike Africa that sit in their own crap.

People like you always blame Europe for the problems of our world, but in reality everyone relies on Europe and the industrial Asian societies. Don't be wishing destruction on people be they European or African.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

Yeah, it's all over, even through less then 120 people have died from this thing. The common cold and the flu kill 1,000+ times this every single year.

No, this isn't the end of the world....I'd worry more about the bird flu mutating.

There was in fact bee 6 deadier ebola outbreaks in history going back to 1970's. None of them turned out to kill like the common cold.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
^If you dont't mind me asking, how the hell did you interpret what I said as wishing destruction on people? 90% who get Ebola die, or a figure similar to that. Those people who have it in Europe were in their community for weeks, so God only knows how many people have it now. Those people spread it more, then it's everywhere. It just takes a few flights to spread it all over the world. Then bam, apocalyptic pandemic. When have I blamed Europe for the problems of the world? I don't blame us. I might blame some European individuals, but never countries or a whole goddamn continent. I don't think your comprehension skills are quite up to scratch. Maybe next time you ought to think before you type. :) After all, it's better for people to think you are an idiot than for them to know it.

What a sickening thing to say. The reason Europe can do is because their people value education, unlike Africa that sit in their own crap. People like you always blame Europe for the problems of our world, but in reality everyone relies on Europe and the industrial Asian societies. Don't be wishing destruction on people be they European or African.

P.S. I didn't say anything about Europe's education compared to Africa "sitting in their crap", to paraphrase what you said. Not everyone in Europe is well-educated. Not everyone in Africa sits in their own crap, in abject poverty and with no education. There are many stupid Europeans, just as there are many well-educated Africans. For example, where I live, there are a ton of chavs, and all of the best doctors and surgeons are Africans. Please enjoy your day <3
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Yeah, it's all over, even through less then 120 people have died from this thing. The common cold and the flu kill 1,000+ times this every single year.   No, this isn't the end of the world....I'd worry more about the bird flu mutating.   There was in fact bee 6 deadier ebola outbreaks in history going back to 1970's. None of them turned out to kill like the common cold.

Did they manage to contain it those times? If so, then that's why. If you'd be so kind as to read the title, you will see "Broken through all containment efforts".

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,999 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Hate to say it, guys but I can only see this being hyped to death especially by the religious right who'll find any excuse to spout nonsense. I can't see the death toll from this being astronomical or even worrisome. "Ebola is God's punishment of the homosexual menace!"

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
But they hype everything to death. I give up. I realised how stupid I'm sounding right now. Sorry guys. Sorry Matthew :)

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

What.

What?

WHAT?!

[font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"]Well, that's me never leaving the house again. [/font]

Yep, that. Exaggerated or not it's hermit time.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

What.

What?

WHAT?!

[font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"]Well, that's me never leaving the house again. [/font]

Yep, that. Exaggerated or not it's hermit time.
I've been stocking up on tinned beans, just to be on the safe side.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationCanada

There has been no confirmation from the Italian government of these cases so I remain skeptical...

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

I'd be more worried about the typical flu that kills a hundred thousand a year.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

I'd be more worried about the typical flu that kills a hundred thousand a year.

I would too, if it weren't for the fact that on an individual level the flu weren't an order of magnitude less deadly than Ebola.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationCanada

Ebola outbreak out of control

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

That's encouraging... NOT...

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
Should I still be as worried as I was earlier in the year?

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationUK

My friend has just come back from Sierra Leone where he works. The village he lives in has had a few cases of Ebola and he's going back for two more months (bonus pay), I'm trying to urge him not to go. He says a lot of the cases are being unreported.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

How soon are we talking here? If I remember correctly the incubation period for Ebola is about a week.

asdf3011

asdf3011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I hope it does not become any thing to big.  I do not want it to become too big. We still have some much to live for.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

I hope it does not become any thing to big.  I do not want it to become too big. We still have some much to live for.

Well it's the largest Ebola outbreak so far, 528 Cases (364 confirmed) and 337 deaths for a 64% mortality rate, the closes one was the first outbreak in 74' with 318 cases and 280 deaths for an 88% mortality rate. 

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

Wake me when Kenya is getting cases and the number of dead passes 10,000. I'll agree at that time it is out of control.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disease, plagues, bacteria, virus, medicine, superbugs, antibiotic resistance, epidemic, pandemic, virology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users