Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The endgame of the Coronavirus Epidemic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere

What will be the final death count and total number infected?

There has to be at least one person from the future here.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

I am this person. Here are three country examples:

1) China. Epidemic started in December 2019 and already suppressed, almost no new cases:

Spoiler

2) South Korea. Epidemic will soon be suppressed, the number of active cases is not growing, within next month(s) the graph will look like China's:

Spoiler

3) Italy. Everything is only beginning. But again, sooner or later, their quarantine measures will bring the desired results:

Spoiler

In short, I think this epidemic will reach its peak within 2-3 next months, and then will be slowly suppressed. The official death toll will be far below 1 million people (excluding countries with knowingly unreliable statistics like North Korea or Ukraine). It will have a huge short-term impact on the world economy, but almost no impact on world demography.

PS and yes, I know this "almost no impact" will sound a devilish cynicism for those who will lose their loved ones. But there is a sad and wise saying: "death of a man is tragedy, death of millions is statistics."

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts

I predict it will burn out and be declared over by the end of the year. Definitely fewer than a million deaths, probably fewer than 100k. As pointed out above, China already has it under control.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

I predict it will burn out and be declared over by the end of the year. Definitely fewer than a million deaths, probably fewer than 100k. As pointed out above, China already has it under control.

What's to stop the pandemic from flaring up again in China? All it would take is for them to lower their guard and resume normal life, and for a small number of infected foreigners to enter the country. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,200 posts
  • LocationLondon

A vaccine could take 12-18 months. This won't be "over" until then, and could easily flare up again in subsequent years. Many experts are predicting millions of deaths.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Expert infectious disease panel estimates that 40% to 70% of Americans will be infected:

https://www.linkedin...an-shlain-m-d-/

I personally doubt it will be that high.  Robin Hanson, the libertarian economist, has been trying to get people to bet on the number killed.  I can't remember the number he settled on, but seem to recall it was > 10 million by 2022.

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere

Do you believe in the Chinese numbers? China says they have less than 100 flu deaths annually while America reports several tens of thousands of people dying every year from the flu with 1/4th the population of China and a more advanced health care system. 

https://www.caixingl...-101382286.html

Set and Meet Goals

Set and Meet Goals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
It will become a new shitty disease people get and die from it won't be as bad as something like cancer however it will be bad.

Maybe a 0.3% fatality rate (triple that of flu) after immunitys are built up and vaccines are given

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

As others are saying even it's initially contained it could flair up again. Countries might get sick of quarantines as it will be harder to implement them due to the economic cost. Until there's a vaccine I'd expect containment to cyclically succeed and fail. Outbreaks --> containment measures --> suppression --> low case numbers/apparent lack of cases --> apathy --> outbreaks...

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

As others are saying even it's initially contained it could flair up again. Countries might get sick of quarantines as it will be harder to implement them due to the economic cost. Until there's a vaccine I'd expect containment to cyclically succeed and fail. Outbreaks --> containment measures --> suppression --> low case numbers/apparent lack of cases --> apathy --> outbreaks...

And they're also saying it's going to be seasonal just like the flu, impossible to eradicate unless we create the universal anti-viral. 

I think investment in public health will take a larger share of government budgets in the years to come.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,705 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

impossible to eradicate unless we create the universal anti-viral. 

Universal anti-viral.... hmmm....

nanobot-1-825989.jpg

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Computron

Computron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I am this person. Here are three country examples:

1) China. Epidemic started in December 2019 and already suppressed, almost no new cases:

Spoiler

2) South Korea. Epidemic will soon be suppressed, the number of active cases is not growing, within next month(s) the graph will look like China's:

Spoiler

3) Italy. Everything is only beginning. But again, sooner or later, their quarantine measures will bring the desired results:

Spoiler

In short, I think this epidemic will reach its peak within 2-3 next months, and then will be slowly suppressed. The official death toll will be far below 1 million people (excluding countries with knowingly unreliable statistics like North Korea or Ukraine). It will have a huge short-term impact on the world economy, but almost no impact on world demography.

PS and yes, I know this "almost no impact" will sound a devilish cynicism for those who will lose their loved ones. But there is a sad and wise saying: "death of a man is tragedy, death of millions is statistics."

https://www.worldome...fo/coronavirus/

Slowly being suppressed, comrade?

Less than 1 million jakob?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Slowly being suppressed, comrade?

Well, everyone can be wrong. Even the ones as smart and educated as myself.

Seriously speaking, this post was written in march, when everything was only beginning.

First, I greatly underestimated the cynicism of ruling elites which, as it turned out, have openly preferred the extra losses of of human lives over the extra losses of money. And second, back in march many people feared covid will kill as much as 5-10% of world population. Here I was rather right saying about "almost no impact on world demography."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,200 posts
  • LocationLondon

I predict it will burn out and be declared over by the end of the year. Definitely fewer than a million deaths, probably fewer than 100k.

c5f.gif

Computron

Computron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users