Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How isolated is everyone right now?

covid-19 covid19 coronavirus isolation quarantine

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Coronavirus isolation (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How isolated are you at the present time?

1. 1. Not at all. Living normal. (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. 2. Being more cautious. But still going out. (5 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. 3. Going out as needed, still seeing friends and family. (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. 4. Very limited, only going out when unavoidable. (15 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

5. 5. Full lockdown. No one in or out. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,602 posts
  • LocationLondon

4zTe2ba.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,602 posts
  • LocationLondon

I chose option 4: Very limited, only going out when unavoidable.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I'm actually going out way, way more since I got a job and I now regularly interact with dozens of people daily in close quarters. But I didn't see the option for increased social interaction so...

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah I'm on option 4.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 21,699 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

For me, #4 already is #1, so I'm conflicted. Might as well choose death!

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,602 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm actually going out way, way more since I got a job and I now regularly interact with dozens of people daily in close quarters. But I didn't see the option for increased social interaction so...

Don't you feel the slightest bit... irresponsible?

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationUK

Well he did say it's because he got a job and not because he's just going out and partying or whatever.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Lol I actually finally feel responsible

If I were to get sick I obviously would take time off.

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

To be fair, I am number 4 due to sickness. The heart pressure finally went away, for the most part, but I still have issues with my lungs a little bit. Not sure if that was the current virus or something else, but I'm taking all precautions I can. Work and groceries are the only other things I would do if I was better. 

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

I only go out to places where there are other people for my job. Avoiding all other crowded places at least until April 1. No restaurants, no shopping, no haircut (even though I need one). 

Living off the food I already have in the house. 

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

I should be a 3.5 

I'm still hanging out with my girlfriend but we're avoiding all people. We are going out to the forest though. 

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Although if I wanted to be snarky I could ask you:
"Don't you feel the slight bit... Priveleged? Insulated? Elitist?"
After all most people hardly have the luxury of postponing work because they want to be proactive about their health. When you're living paycheck to paycheck then by definition you can't afford to miss getting paid and hence working. But of course your first instinct is to bring up irresponsibility. As if not being able to afford to take time off or work from home was irresponsible. As if it was appropriate to castigate the poor for their poverty.

But of course you're just worried about the common good. So my first instinct was not to be snarky.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Both my wife and myself are teleworking from home. Both of our kids' schools are closed indefinitely, so all of us are camped at home for the foreseeable future. We only go out (actually just myself) for essential chores like grocery shopping, etc., but when I come back home, I wash my hands like a madman. 

What are you without the sum of your parts?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I too am out more than before. I work stocking and register for a store where we sell food, medicines, cleaning supplies and the needs of everybody else. I honestly don't want to keep getting exposed to all the sick people but the demand for workers and the needs of the customers means somebody has to do it.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNoosphere

I go to work and i come home. I sanitize my door knob and wash my hands when i come home. 

My job has barely any human interaction and never in close proximity.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Haven't left the house except to exercise and clear out my dorm room since March 7th.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationCanada

Option 3, my work (research lab) doesn't allow me to work from home. Hoping my employer realizes we need to shut down soon. Other than that I've completely isolated myself from seeing friends, and going out just to socialize.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,602 posts
  • LocationLondon

Although if I wanted to be snarky I could ask you:
"Don't you feel the slight bit... Priveleged? Insulated? Elitist?"
After all most people hardly have the luxury of postponing work because they want to be proactive about their health. When you're living paycheck to paycheck then by definition you can't afford to miss getting paid and hence working. But of course your first instinct is to bring up irresponsibility. As if not being able to afford to take time off or work from home was irresponsible. As if it was appropriate to castigate the poor for their poverty.

But of course you're just worried about the common good. So my first instinct was not to be snarky.

Sorry, I misread your earlier post. No need to feel irresponsible.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationUK

I chose option 4, but still very much going outside - in fact more so than before as the weather is improving. Although I live in the countryside and am just going for long walks, runs and bike rides far away from anyone else. I would encourage other people to do the same.

I'm doing all my PhD work at home and being out of the lab means I have to radically change my research, so am now doing a chapter that will be entirely bioinformatics-based - as I can remotely access the universities supercomputer. I am worried that the fieldwork I have been planning for ages might not go ahead in the summer. 

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
/\ what's your PHD program in Zaphod?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: covid-19, covid19, coronavirus, isolation, quarantine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users