Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space battles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,200 posts
  • LocationLondon

Enjoy some space battles. :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/z3MYVbc

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

I still need to watch Farscape 

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

The post of pedantry:

I'm sure you'll agree that real space battles will be very different from videogames. No any tightly packed swarms of starships, no any yellow or blue rays... instead, they will be very brief and not at all spectacular: you detect the enemy at a great distance and shoot, and that's all... or your enemy detected you first, and that's all.

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

The post of pedantry:

I'm sure you'll agree that real space battles will be very different from videogames. No any tightly packed swarms of starships, no any yellow or blue rays... instead, they will be very brief and not at all spectacular: you detect the enemy at a great distance and shoot, and that's all... or your enemy detected you first, and that's all.

and that reminds me of a passage from Nemo Ramjet's "All Tomorrows":

Most thinkers (and fantasists) of previous times had imagined interplanetary war as a glorious, fast paced spectacle of massive spaceships, one-man fighters and last- minute heroics. No fantasy could have been further from the truth. War between planets was a slow, nerve-wracking series of precisely timed decisions that spelled destruction on biblical scales.

Most of the time the combatants never saw each other. Most of the time the combatants were not there at all. War became a duel between complicated, autonomous machines programmed to maximize damage to the other side while trying to last a little longer.

Such a conflict caused horrendous destruction on both sides. Phobos, one of Mars’ moons, was shattered, and rained down as meteorite hail. Earth received a polar impact that killed of one third of its population.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/GMYezR1cwFA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users