Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Born too early regret thread

Regret Anime girls Kawaii Future Virtual reality Space travel Obliteration of work UBI

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere
I was born too early to experience a post capitalist society where i can be a neet forever and explore full immersion virtual reality by living in anine weeb wonder super land. I will never see mars either or have my mind enhanced by technology to understand the most esoteric and high iq memes, philosophies and science.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts
  • LocationLondon

I was born too early to experience a post capitalist society where i can be a neet forever and explore full immersion virtual reality by living in anine weeb wonder super land. I will never see mars either or have my mind enhanced by technology to understand the most esoteric and high iq memes, philosophies and science.

Depends how old you are?

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Heck, with all we know the world is about to see this virus mutate into the big one which ends up killing 3 billion people over the next couple of years...Ending any and all of the dreams that you stated above for at least the next 300 years as we end up in a new dark age.

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Go playing before AlphaGo or chess before strong chess programs , were a human achievement , no machine background.

With future AGI and ASI every human achievement is going to be the same.

Now is the chance to achieve what no AI can , a human achievement.

RoboRage

RoboRage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I'm 31; will I make it.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
I'm going to be stuck pulling people out of hedonistic death spirals for centuries aren't I?

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
Yes you'll probably make it. Won't have that youthful body you have now back for over a century though. Make the best of that time and learn humility and patience with me.

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

What and why "stuck pulling people out of hedonistic death spirals" ?

people go for pleasure and (orthogonal) for meaning , and in centuries hedonistic system could be re-engenered like David Pearce once mentioned.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
You underestimate the times you live in. You are part of the generation that gets to determine humanity's fate. A generation not seen since the lost and greatest generations, it's soon to be a rebirth of great revolution. This pandemic is but a taste of whats to come, as the dragging remnants of the last century have come into conflict with our hyper-modernized world.

It isn't about "making it" so much as actually *making* that future while ensuring we don't all die or become matrixed.
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/Gnyr3sbdKkU

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

What and why "stuck pulling people out of hedonistic death spirals" ?

people go for pleasure and (orthogonal) for meaning , and in centuries hedonistic system could be re-engenered like David Pearce once mentioned.

I'm not familiar with Pearce's thoughts there. From a quick look (https://www.hedweb.com/) he's talking about abolishing suffering, which is distinct from the sentiment above. My thoughts here mirror some of Greg Egan's. It's been too long since I read his books but I think it was in Diaspora where a group of people designed a polis (networks of computers where most people reside) entirely around pleasure. It lasted a few centuries. In the end everyone sort of fizzled out and got bored. Sastang's status update really captures this, "I was born too early, if i was born 60 years in future i ciuld rot in FIVR with anime girls." It's the future's equivalent of a heroine addiction. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with a 'paradise' of pleasure now and again or even for a few years. But there's more to life and pleasure alone doesn't bring meaning. Pearce's work on the abolition suffering is distinct here--I think--because it's not pleasure for pleasure's sake but pleasure for the sake of a greater pursuit of meaning and ability to function as one pleases. 

https://www.gregegan...A/DIASPORA.html

Big Yes Outlook 

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
^Exactly. It surprises me how many people who get depressed because of escapism really desire more of it instead of begin to detest it. It's the realization that what people want isn't actually what they'll get, and what they want is an idealised fantasy of what they imagine it to be like. Things like getting a girlfriend, or becoming the leader of a country. The exact reality of experiencing those things won't come anywhere close to what one imagines achieving it to be. It's escaping reality for what it is. I've broken from the shackles of escapism, there is only experience, decision and options that appear to us directly in our lives, and the chaos of nature will determine where they'll eventually lead. Surge through me my stoic fathers!

Also, allowing our lives to be directed and indulged in fantasy and escapism only hands our individuality and control over to others with more dubious interests.
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/Gnyr3sbdKkU

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

I was born just in time to browse dank memes and that's good enough for me.

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNew York

^ lol I like it. 

I was born at the beginning of the VR revolution. (1990) Literally around the 1990's when it was cheesy as hell and little more than sci-fi fantasy. By the end of this decade, assuming I survive it, I may well have a respectable VR platform that utilizes a majority of the senses. Maybe not "deep-dive" but close enough to make me happy. 

The same is true for (A.I.) because by the end of this decade we may finally be able to simulate consciousness. Combine that with the VR above, and endless worlds become possible. Even if catastrophic climate change ravages the planet & an even worse pandemic scours the globe, as long as these two technologies advance further we can make it.

Not sure how old @OP is, but I'm assuming not too old as you want that anime vr life. You'll get your waifu(s) in due time. 

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

In 10 years there may (probably) be (if humans work really hard):

• 100% self-driving vehicles in which you can sleep or they can do farm work
  • vertical farming as a real alternative
  • 3D printed meat available in supermarkets
  • drone delivery
  • small colonies on Mars and Moon
  • telescopes giving the ability to see distant planets
  • supersonic passenger airplanes which are safe and quiet
  • quick orbital flights for the wealthy
  • graphene batteries with multiple times better capacity
  • very cheap solar power and relatively cheap energy storage
  • electric cars cheaper than those running on oil
  • anti-fat pills (everyone can easily be slim)
  • Neuralink devices that connect your brain to the Internet and make you 10x smarter (or cure conditions)
  • 100% cure for cancer ready for anyone in developed countries (it was already found early this year)
  • much higher chance of survival from any illness and of serious disability alleviation
  • bionics that rival biological parts like arms or legs, artificial eyes which actually work (not human level yet)
  • human-level or slightly higher level artificial general intelligence
  • slick augmented reality glasses showing anything you want and making you hear anything you want
  • AI that creates high-quality music, art by itself
  • VR worlds you can explore by yourself or with other people, VR meetups instead of group messaging
  • single card neuromorphic chips equivalent to 20 petaflops
  • neuromorphic supercomputer equivalent to 1 zettaflops
  • mobile neuromorphic processors equivalent to even 1 petaflops (AR glasses will trade performance with low power usage)
  • foldable colourful very high res and high refresh rate e-readers
  • possibly even working commercial fusion reactors (in China for example)
  • flying quadrocopter races
  • exoskeletons giving you super strength
  • bullet-proof flexible body armor
  • 6-hours 4-days workweek in developed countries
  • guaranteed basic income for everyone in some countries

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Actually, it's better and more productive to work smart instead of hard.

See an example https://twitter.com/...924208747487232

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere
I was born too late to exist in a time before industrialization and mass european Colonization where everyone was more or less living the same way: peasant or ruler. I was born too early to experience a post capitalist earth in which we can all just rot forever and it being acceptable and normal.

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere
150 years ago I would have been born into a wealthy aristocratic family in a well known country and probably not have any problems I do today. I'd die at 45 for having every other problem I have go away.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

I wish I'd been born 100 years later than I actually was. 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I wish I'd be born 1,000 years in the future so that the chances of dying is next to nil. Maybe I shouldn't use the word "born" but instead use "produced" since humans probably will be created by artificial means by then.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

waitingforthe2030s

waitingforthe2030s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOrion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy.

I think I was born at just the right time.

I'm a radical demo-publiacrat.

This is Scatman's world, and we're living in it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Regret, Anime girls, Kawaii, Future, Virtual reality, Space travel, Obliteration of work, UBI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users