Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Russia cancels future warships due to lack of money

russia navy ships

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
That should come as no surprise. The Kremlin struggled to fund shipbuilding even before the novel-coronavirus pandemic sent oil prices plummeting to zero in late April 2020.

Russia’s defense ministry has suspended the development of the Project 23560 nuclear-powered cruiser and the Project 22350M frigate, Interfax reported.

The two projects represented the navy’s main efforts to modernize its “blue-water” fleet of battlecruisers and destroyers. Suspending the two projects further accelerates the Russian navy’s decades-long evolution into a mostly “green-water” coastal force.

The problem, as always, is money. Russia spends around $70 billion annually on its armed forces, just a tenth what the United States spends on its own military. At that level of spending, Moscow cannot afford to maintain the same blue-water navy that Washington does.

https://nationalinte...warships-146776

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationCanada

Interesting. I wonder if China's plans for a massive navy are going to take a similar hit. To be fair though, I expect all the major powers are going to see a negative impact on their plans for military development.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

I doubt any slowdown in China's ship construction will be as extreme as Russia's. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: russia, navy, ships

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users