Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Theoretically, would their be substantial time dilation over galactic distances?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I’m watching Star Wars and I’m trying to come up with a theory that time moves differently in very different places over a VAST distance. One planet in one part of the galaxy can experience time slower due to gravitationally time dilation but instead of several hours, this could be extended on a galactic scale to be several days or months. Is their any other scientific evidence I can research that can support this? I know Star Wars really doesn’t have a basis in science but I love Science and I love Star Wars over Star Trek so I’m sticking with this.

Also if this theory holds water- what could I call this phenomenon?

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sure, let's say Planet A in Galaxy A orbits a black hole. Planet B in Galaxy B orbits a star similar to our sun. Time on Planet A could pass much, much more slowly than Planet B, due to the massive gravity of the black hole. This is what happens in Interstellar, when they are trapped on the water world where one hour equals decades back on Earth, due to its proximity to a black hole. Conceivably, if Planet A was close enough to the black hole, or the black hole was more massive, the time dilation would be even greater.

I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of, or time dilation simply due to distance? I'm no expert in physics, but I would venture to say it wouldn't make a difference. Gravity can have an effect on time, but I haven't heard of distance by itself being related to time dilation, unless we're talking about covering distances at relativistic speeds. In that case, then it's possible to have time dilation occuring. If Galaxy A is moving much faster than Galaxy B, then conceivably, time would pass slower in Galaxy A. It wouldn't be a massive difference; even though the Milky Way is moving at 2.1 million km/hr through the universe, that's still only a tiny fraction of the speed of light. Coupled with the fact that other galaxies probably move at similar speeds (just guessing here), the effect would not be big at all. 

The math is really complicated though. When you talk about time dilation and relativistic speeds, you have to define what you are moving relative to. For example, the Earth is moving at different velocities relative to a point in intergalactic space, than it is to the center of the Milky Way, than it is to the Sun. Depending which point you consider the Earth to be moving relative to, time dilation between the two will differ, increasing as the difference in velocities increases.

Like I said, I'm no physicist, so if anyone knows any better please don't tear me apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users