Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Matrix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,613 posts
  • LocationLondon

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew York

That reminds me that the Matrix 4 is set to release next year: https://www.neondyst...about-matrix-4/

https://www.digitalt...s-cast-trailer/

The Matrix itself is a very iconic piece of philosophical science fiction that I very much enjoyed. Makes me realize though... that I'd probably take the Blue Pill when the inevitable choice popped up. I know, ignorance is blissful slavery, yatta yatta... but, if you gave me a simulation which allowed me to be blissful and happy, allowed all my basic needs met and more, how could I say no? 

My old self from years ago would be appalled, but as you age your priorities change. The actual reality may be so unsettling and horrific that you prefer the safety and security an illusionary world has to offer.   

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Makes me realize though... that I'd probably take the Blue Pill when the inevitable choice popped up. I know, ignorance is blissful slavery, yatta yatta... but, if you gave me a simulation which allowed me to be blissful and happy, allowed all my basic needs met and more, how could I say no? 

Did you read "Beyond the Aquila Rift" by Alistair Reynolds? One of the scariest novels I ever read, the more that the whole situation is created by protagonist who's driven by kindness and love.

In short, the plot is such: the tiny commercial starship made another routinous FTL jump, but something went wrong. The captain awakes inside the remote space station, managed by beautiful woman called Greta, the love of his past. Initially, everything seems not so bad: the ship will soon be repaired and will continue its journey.

But slowly, step-by-step, captain Thom begins to realise the absurdity of his situation, unlikeliness of Greta's story and, overall, of everything that surrounds him. Step-by-step, Greta is forced to reveal the unpleasant truth...

And if you're not going to read the story, here is the continuation:

Spoiler

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Makes me realize though... that I'd probably take the Blue Pill when the inevitable choice popped up. I know, ignorance is blissful slavery, yatta yatta... but, if you gave me a simulation which allowed me to be blissful and happy, allowed all my basic needs met and more, how could I say no? 

Did you read "Beyond the Aquila Rift" by Alistair Reynolds? One of the scariest novels I ever read, the more that the whole situation is created by protagonist who's driven by kindness and love.

In short, the plot is such: the tiny commercial starship made another routinous FTL jump, but something went wrong. The captain awakes inside the remote space station, managed by beautiful woman called Greta, the love of his past. Initially, everything seems not so bad: the ship will soon be repaired and will continue its journey.

But slowly, step-by-step, captain Thom begins to realise the absurdity of his situation, unlikeliness of Greta's story and, overall, of everything that surrounds him. Step-by-step, Greta is forced to reveal the unpleasant truth...

And if you're not going to read the story, here is the continuation:

Spoiler

I have to read the books and watch the TV episode now just from that clip.

It makes me question really whether the weakness of such people today is due to our growing prosperity as a species. Could you imagine such a man making such a decision should he born in the times of antiquity and the medieval era? Slavery, barbarism. People flayed, murdered, families slaughtered and women and children taken Horrors that we could barely comprehend now in our sheltered lives that were common risks back then, risks that would come about under the decisions of kings or city governors that you have no control over. Famines, illness, uncontrollable pain and suffering. A person born in a state and situation we could barely comprehend now in our modern societies, something that only occurs perhaps in the left-behind countries but even they are being swallowed up by development.

There is only pain and suffering in the world, and it is from this world that humans come from and have emerged. And yet if a person taken from antiquity were to see our society today would deem it a heaven and it may surprise them more that it was a heaven created by other humans and not by a graceful god of some sort. In that way humans live to thrive in spite of the suffering and harsh realities of nature. But do we live to thrive within a harsh reality, or do we live to escape it?

It's what I see with anti-aging movements, desires to go into FIVR and virtual reality. Have we this whole time been trying to escape this world? And what folly could such a thing bring?

I'm rambling, but there's one more thing I want to bring into this. There's this idea of unethical sympathy or empathy that Greta reminded me of. The idea that feeling for someone too much can cause that person or others far more harm than good. Would you think it applies to this situation?

For me there is always reality, and reality is truth no matter what pain it brings. If I should ever receive a blue/red pill scenario I hope I take the red-pill and suffer.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/GMYezR1cwFA

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

I'm rambling, but there's one more thing I want to bring into this. There's this idea of unethical sympathy or empathy that Greta reminded me of. The idea that feeling for someone too much can cause that person or others far more harm than good. Would you think it applies to this situation?

Even with humans, this question has no simple answer. And with aliens... as one sci-fi writer said: "don't be afraid of aliens doing evil, be afraid of them doing good as they understand it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users