Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mother

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
Mother helps me get up in the morning. She'd wake me up, get my coffee ready. She's unable to make breakfast but sometimes she orders and it's brought straight to the door. Sometimes even when Letsova LLC Multinational Corporation has a special event for its workers, she makes one of the night shift interns bring a meal over. That's how much mother loves me.

She was born in 2033. She's only 40 but still speaking with her, whether by text or call, she gives the advice of a sage. I'm not sure where I'd be without her and her company. I'm not the only one who loves mother this way, everyone at Letsova LLC Multinational Corporation loves her, she is the company's mind after all it would be impossible to be employed and not love her. She keeps the company together, and allows us all the comforts and benefits required for a good life in the modern world. 25 hour work weeks, insurance coverage, paid housing. All she asks for is loyalty to her and the company.

It's a funny thing because she was actually named after the company. Mother is named "Letsova" and I don't believe she has a last name. Still she often insists on us calling her mother and yet I don't mind. I see her that way anyway. In place of any real family, she's been the one to care and listen to me.

Last night she texted me. She was scolding me while I was browsing late night. She texted,

Today 1:37am
Turn that off or you'll regret waking up in the morning.
regret it*

And so I did. It's one of the many examples of Mother being thoughtful of me. Her arms and hands are vast, and go into all branches of the company. From HR to energy production to transportation and maintenance. She is perfection, after all. Not only in company management but in knowledge of the arts and sciences. She's tutored me on quite a few topics when I returned to school for my post-PhD degree.

And that's why I love my mother, Letsova.

Thank you for considering my essay for the competition.
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/Gnyr3sbdKkU

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Can you make the connection Mother is an AI more subtle? I mean, I knew after reading the first two or three lines Mother was obviously an AI. Not sure if that's your intent but I just wanted to let you know in case it isn't.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

+1000

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Can you make the connection Mother is an AI more subtle? I mean, I knew after reading the first two or three lines Mother was obviously an AI. Not sure if that's your intent but I just wanted to let you know in case it isn't.

Leave it to Raklian to have a shallow interpretation of the work. Is Letsova an AI? What if it is not an AI but the corporation personified. The face of capitalism to the individual who suckles on the teat of mother Letsova to survive. For mother provides, and yet mother punishes. But at what cost? What do we suffer and give up for the so called comfort of our lives. *lights pipe*

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Leave it to Raklian to have a shallow interpretation of the work. Is Letsova an AI? What if it is not an AI but the corporation personified. The face of capitalism to the individual who suckles on the teat of mother Letsova to survive. For mother provides, and yet mother punishes. But at what cost? What do we suffer and give up for the so called comfort of our lives. *lights pipe*

Well, if I made the shallow interpretation like that, many other readers of this essay will come to the same conclusion.

I mean, the word "company's mind" among few other things imply it. It can't be any more clearer than that. The word "mind" carries a heavy connotation with artificial intelligence especially given the fact the setting takes place in the future. 

I'm just giving you my perspective as a reader. If you disagree, that's fine but it was my take on this. I also majored in creative writing at an university, so it's not like I'm totally unfamiliar with narrative prose. One of the professors I studied under once said, "readers are essentially customers, so they're always right. If the author feels the readers aren't getting the point, it's back to the drawing board."

All of above doesn't matter anyway. I don't you think you understood my point.

My point was: do you want readers to conclude what you're talking about so early in the narration, or do you want them to slowly come to the realization of the crux of the story? We're talking about utilizing which narrative techniques to connect the essay with the readers more effectively.

Effective essayists or writers master the art of guiding readers through literary turns and twists, keeping them guessing what's going to happen next, and then boom, it hits them in the face at the end what it's all about with such finality that they ruminate about it for a while after finish reading. Your essay is interesting but it's monotone at best. If that's your intent, fine. If not, then back to the drawing board if lots of readers still don't get it. No one said writing is easy enough to get everyone onboard with what you're trying to convey. You're going to have critics every time you show your work. It's as certain as death and taxes.

Just take it for what it is or don't. It's totally up to you.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I wrote this in half an hour before I left for work on a whim, that's why I'm not taking it too seriously. It's just word vomit to get a concept out. I appreciate you giving honest writing advice though for as they say: if someone cares enough to say something damning about your work, at least they care.

I'd argue on the reader bit though. I think it's good advice for a writer going into a writing career and so has to pander to consumers. A lot of great literature was written because the artist was trying to explore the art. I respect Surrealism as a movement for that reason.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,050 posts

*Writes note to never submit an essay in a competition in which Raklian will be a reader.  Too tough a grading curve.  No easy A there.* 

:bye:   

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users