Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The future of genetically engineered ornamental gardens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Several new varieties of ornamental flowers have been produced through genetic engineering.  For example, the "True Blue Chrysanthemum":

https://www.scientif...ic-engineering/

and the blue rose:

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Blue_rose

and the mauve rose:

https://en.wikipedia...se_APPLAUSE.jpg

Now that genetic engineering of new plant species is becoming cheaper, perhaps we will see whole gardens or small ornamental forests created with very exotic-looking plants.  Some may look like plants from forgotten eons, when dinosaurs ruled; others may look like something from an alien world -- trees with purple leaves and tangerine barks; flowers with every color of the rainbow; some plants glow neon green, others frosty blue, in the night, like from the film Avatar.  

Perhaps this will become an art form, with artists showing off their creations to guests.  For a fee, you can live for a few days inside the creation in a guest house.  Walk out into an alien landscape by day; marvel at the shining arrangement by night.  

The best experiences will be had in gardens that tell a story, that are not merely a random collection of amusements.  Thought will go into justifying why one tree looks tall and brooding, while another glows crimson beginning in the wee hours of evening.  Each should be like a theme in a symphony, that varies season by season, before repeating the story again in the following year.   

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Interesting. 

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've always had this exact idea; some day when I'm a billionaire, create a public garden with genetically modified plants. I always imagined it would be filled with biolumiscent plants, like in Avatar. Maybe I could get some venture capitalists on board to fund this garden.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
Plants are only the start. One day we'll construct living islands of coral and soft beautiful furniture out of fungi.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

What do you think of the creation of artifitial gardens and even entire parks and forest featuring bioluminescent plants and trees that would be colorful having all sorts of colors possible? It would be a dazzling view. 

By the way, what are the differences between Genetic Engineering and Synthetic Biology?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users