Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Could you fabricate your own hardware using a 3D printer/fabricator without any engineering knowledge?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Metalane

Metalane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Legal and ethical limitations aside, say I wanted to create by own video game console (for example), and I had zero knowledge on how to actually do so, could I use a BCI to translate my thoughts into code which the fabricator will then translate into physical actions to make said hardware? 

This may sound like a bizarre example but let's use the Nintendo Switch. If I just "imagined" a Switch in my head, would the fabricator know there's circuitry inside? Would it be able to fabricate the device exactly as I imagined it? On the other hand, what if I had no clue how a computer worked, and just wanted a specific set of hardware (say I wanted 8GB of RAM instead)?

I know this is messy, but I hope you understand what I mean.  

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

There'd always have to be some sort of code acting as an interpreter between your thoughts and low level instructions for the computer & peripherals. If you lack the knowledge yourself, then the work of getting the circuitry right would obviously fall on the shoulders of this code. So the answer is yes, assuming the code in question is an advanced AI that's much better at this than you are, and further assuming that your fabricator is also capable of printing circuitry and other components of the necessary level of quality.

Even then such an AI might need to interview you / pick your mind quite a bit to figure out how to get things "right" for you. This would depend on how hard the AI would expect it would be to fulfill your requirements, as well as on what it would be prioritizing. If you're ignorant about how exactly the device works and your requirements are way below the AI's ability, then it would be able to just do whatever without bothering to ask, getting just a general feel on what hardware specs to prioritize and how many resources to spend on the project. On the other hand, if you have a poor grasp of what is and what is not possible then your expectations may well be impossible for the AI to fulfill: e.g. perhaps the AI could do what you want, but would require a year rather than a day like you'd want from it. Or it could produce a device in a day, but with far poorer specs. In that case it'd need to explain your range of realistic options. It could also teach you a few things about what it's doing...

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Metalane

Metalane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

There'd always have to be some sort of code acting as an interpreter between your thoughts and low level instructions for the computer & peripherals. If you lack the knowledge yourself, then the work of getting the circuitry right would obviously fall on the shoulders of this code. So the answer is yes, assuming the code in question is an advanced AI that's much better at this than you are, and further assuming that your fabricator is also capable of printing circuitry and other components of the necessary level of quality.

Even then such an AI might need to interview you / pick your mind quite a bit to figure out how to get things "right" for you. This would depend on how hard the AI would expect it would be to fulfill your requirements, as well as on what it would be prioritizing. If you're ignorant about how exactly the device works and your requirements are way below the AI's ability, then it would be able to just do whatever without bothering to ask, getting just a general feel on what hardware specs to prioritize and how many resources to spend on the project. On the other hand, if you have a poor grasp of what is and what is not possible then your expectations may well be impossible for the AI to fulfill: e.g. perhaps the AI could do what you want, but would require a year rather than a day like you'd want from it. Or it could produce a device in a day, but with far poorer specs. In that case it'd need to explain your range of realistic options. It could also teach you a few things about what it's doing...

Thank you! I'm sure as time goes on we'll be able to understand and evaluate this tech more, and also get a better idea of the legal side. 

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

The internal schematics would have to come from somewhere. Either the fabricator would use NLP to go online and find a file that most closely matches what you're thinking of, or (more likely) you go look yourself, download switch.sre*, and it just fabricates that.

*some random extension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users