Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is their anything left that fictional science can squeeze out??

Star Wars fictional science tech

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

BeauJayce

BeauJayce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I’ve been wondering about science and scientific progression in the Star Wars universe. Even though people have pointed out that Star Wars is science fantasy and doesn’t care about science- that really isn’t true. Scientists are mentioned all the time in Star Wars. The society runs on science just like ours does. The stories were are shown are those of a religious order so science obviously takes a backseat but even the Jedi use technology. Lightsabers aren’t made out of wood!

I just wonder what could be the next thing in science that scientists in Star Wars can pursue. They had FTL for millennia. You would logically think that whatever sci fi stuff you isn’t exist is fair game like teleportation and time travel BUT both those two things are something all people (sentient beings) have wanted since the beginning of time so the fact that they don’t exist must mean they tried and those things are impossible.

Star Wars does have nanotech. It’s mentioned in several mediums so you would think that the logical next step would be pico and femtotechnology but the whole midichlorian thing makes me think it’s impossible. I also don’t really believe you can go smaller in the real world either.

Matter replication and simulated reality seem to be good bets and I bet both exist BUT I bet the former exists and they won’t let it hit market because it would destabilize the economy and lead to a post-scarcity society like Star Trek. The latter also probably exists but probably isn’t healthy; may only exist for rich people on rich planets or just isn’t spoken about.

That being said: What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationNew York

Since it seems like this focuses on Star Wars exclusively, I'll try to address it OP. The issue is the premise, that of "The Force" and everything with the Star Wars "galaxy" being dictated by said "force." Now, Lucas "attempted" to add a scientific explanation for this phenomenon via midichlorians, and those having a higher blood percentage having greater potential to access the force, become Jedi/Sith and what have you.

Outside of this there is indeed "normal" technological progression as we've seen during the transition from The Republic into the Galactic Empire, witnessed most during the Clone Wars. War necessitated the drive for innovation, as in real life, knocking the Star Wars galaxy out of its medieval stasis, as new starships were allowed to be researched with ever increasingly greater size(s) like the ones we see in the original trilogy, and later sequel trilogy. The Executor class star destroyer (Vader's ESB flagship) wouldn't have been possible without the prior tested Imperator/Venator class star destroyers laying the ground work. And of course, you have the Death Star, and the DS MK2 of the original trilogy. This advancement is why some people have argued the Empire being a necessary change, but I digress.

The animated/3D shows tend to go deeper into the lore regarding this progression, as well as mundane tech like Bacta medical tech, Clone/Storm Trooper Armor, battle tanks, FTL, etc. Worth mentioning Darth Vader himself could be one of the most well known movie examples regarding transhumanism, though given the medium's focus as Space Fantasy it's quite a negative one, same for General Grievous. 

Droids within the SW verse are treated as inferior, and even those who could be classified as AGI like R2-D2 will never have anything beyond normal-above average human capabilities. So I don't see an ASI being developed anytime within Star Wars, and one to my knowledge never was within Legends which goes at least a hundred or more years later. When we do look into the future of Star Wars, it's exactly "surprise surprise" the same as before: bigger, better, faster starships and superweapons. If anything, superweapons are probably where Star Wars advances the most.

In short: Star Wars is not Star Trek. SW focuses on tech advancement to serve a narrative. It's a far future that's meant to feel familiar and has space wizards, and it's still possible to die of childbirth and anti-aging tech has certainly not been researched. It's ridiculous in hindsight considering the advanced cloning tech available, but... narratives. Perfectly cloned living tissue and Vader's advanced life support should have at least extended human life expectancy more than what's shown. So, I'd start here if we're seriously talking about scientist advancing SW living standards. 

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Wars, fictional science tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users