Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello, new user here!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Edward

Edward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello, new user here!

I'm very interested in what the future may hold, both socially and technologically

I've recently read Max Tegmark's "Life 3.0" and am currently reading Nick Bostrom's "Superintelligence"

I'm very interested in Simulation Theory, and actually believe we are all living in a computer simulation

I don't believe there will ever be flying cars though

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Welcome, Edward! :)

I haven't read Bostrom's book, but I read Life 3.0 and thought it was brilliant – the opening chapter in particular, and its depiction of the events leading up to a Singularity-type event.

Like you, I'm also interested in Simulation Theory and would put the odds at maybe 60-40 in favour of us being in some kind of simulation. All I can say is, it's one hell of a coincidence that we're living through such a pivotal moment in history, and I wonder if maybe it's some sort of "ancestor" recreation.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I strongly recommend you guys read a mind-blowing book authored by Donald D. Hoffman, entitled "The case against reality: how evolution hid the truth from our eyes."

He argues that evolution favors those who don't seek the truth about objective reality. He called behaviors that help us survive long enough to pass on genes to offspring as "fitness payoffs" and how we evolved to become efficient "fitness payoff" achievers at the expense of being able to perceive reality for what it really is. He's saying that the classical perception of spacetime doesn't even begin to describe objective reality, but a mere user interface that's in front of us behind which where true reality lies. We are completely focused on that user interface in navigating reality rather than the circuits and the code that create the user interface itself.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Welcome!

Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts