Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The future of Prisons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Computron

Computron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I always wondered how future societies will handle those who break the law. In star trek there was a alien species that used simulations in the brain to make it feel like many years passed.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
Prisons are a concept of our current civilizations. There have been civilizations without crime or prisons and there will be future civilizations without them. As long as there has been money there have been criminals, and property is robbery and all that.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Maybe in the future criminals are going to have the option of undergoing gene therapies in order to make them less criminally inclined in exchange for less severe prison sentences?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,437 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Maybe in the future criminals are going to have the option of undergoing gene therapies in order to make them less criminally inclined in exchange for less severe prison sentences?

We'll probably have to do the same for the victims so they won't drown in their rage for vengeance or justice. 

Honestly, this is opening a huge can of worms.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

That might be a fair point. That said, though, it is quite literally worth pointing out that people are hostage to their genes. In other words, people lack genuine free will; they might have an illusion of free will, but how they act is in large part determined based on their genes, which determine things such as their thought processes.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

That might be a fair point. That said, though, it is quite literally worth pointing out that people are hostage to their genes. In other words, people lack genuine free will; they might have an illusion of free will, but how they act is in large part determined based on their genes, which determine things such as their thought processes.

That reminded me the old joke:

The court hearing. The defendant makes a passionate and convincing speech, the judge nods thoughtfully. Sentence: hanging.

"But Your Honor, you can't! Haven't I just proved that free will is just an illusion? I was destined to kill that man..."

"Destined? Yes, so do I..."

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

If I die it shall be in vain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Terrible joke. Didn't laugh. 1/10

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

What about make laws and crime obsolete and decriminalize everything? Would anarchy be good?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

That reminded me the old joke:

The court hearing. The defendant makes a passionate and convincing speech, the judge nods thoughtfully. Sentence: hanging.

"But Your Honor, you can't! Haven't I just proved that free will is just an illusion? I was destined to kill that man..."

"Destined? Yes, so do I..."

TBF, though, that quote is from a time when we still lacked the ability to successfully edit people's genes. Once this will change, well, all bets will be off. In such a scenario, people could get an actual choice: Hanging or a couple of years in prison combined with gene therapy to eliminate the genes that make one criminally-inclined. :)

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

What about make laws and crime obsolete and decriminalize everything? Would anarchy be good?

Decriminalize everything, including rape and murder? Sounds absolutely horrible! :(

Computron

Computron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Decriminalize everything, including rape and murder? Sounds absolutely horrible! :(

Well ideally prisons would be rehabilitative and correctional in. Only severe crimes will be punished with isolation from society. There will be no punishment for non violent crimes just forced rehab. Maybe some criminals will get put on a list of some sort and have restrictions, with the punishment for breaking the restrictions being exile or isolation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users