Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why was TheComrade banned from here?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Why was TheComrade banned from here? I haven't actually been on this forum in forever and was thus wondering about this.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

For that matter, why did ScienceRocks also get banned from here?

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

a time

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

I'm sorry ... what?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationLondon

TheComrade got angry at criticism of Russia, and requested himself to be banned. Then later returned as PhoenixRu.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationLondon

a time

Futurist has just returned after a long absence.

I want members to feel welcome here, and looking at your post history, it seems you're trying to discourage him from posting.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
Welp I supposed I had to run aground with administration at least once in my history here. Wouldn't have been complete without it. Apologies, I got irritated with almost all the new topics being only a sentence or two long.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Welp I supposed I had to run aground with administration at least once in my history here. Wouldn't have been complete without it. Apologies, I got irritated with almost all the new topics being only a sentence or two long.

I only created three or four new topics yesterday, no?

a time

Futurist has just returned after a long absence.

I want members to feel welcome here, and looking at your post history, it seems you're trying to discourage him from posting.

Thank you very much, Will! :)

TheComrade got angry at criticism of Russia, and requested himself to be banned. Then later returned as PhoenixRu.

Gotcha! :)

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

BTW, why did BasilBerylium get banned from here?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,287 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Why was TheComrade banned from here? I haven't actually been on this forum in forever and was thus wondering about this.

TheComrade (read: PhoenixRu) was frustrated at how the forum was anti-Russia, with extremely few to no positive stories on Russia with most of these stories driven by Western media (which obviously has an anti-Russian bias). So he decided to leave, but eventually returned, again as PhoenixRu (fitting name in that case). "TheComrade" was just a last ditch effort to not have to delete all of his posts and threads since many of them were host to some classic moments on the forum (most notably the Ukraine Conflict— losing him there would've basically reduced that entire thread by half, made it incomprehensible at times, and lost loads of great posts).

For that matter, why did ScienceRocks also get banned from here?

I mean, the details of that is that he became a white nationalist, openly expressing support for white supremacist artists, neo-Nazis, and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. 

BTW, why did BasilBerylium get banned from here?

Requested to leave. That's literally the extent of it. To my shock, he's they've never returned as far as I know, one of the few times that's happened.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

I wonder what exactly caused ScienceRocks to become a white nationalist.

As for BasilBerylium, I thought that they were female; am I wrong?

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationNew York

I mean, the details of that is that he became a white nationalist, openly expressing support for white supremacist artists, neo-Nazis, and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. 

How did Matthew (his original username if I remember) go from being a generally alright guy and Trump hater to basically everything he was originally against? I used to really enjoy some of his post a good while ago... I remember back when I was lurking he started getting pissy around the time of the Kavanaugh hearings. 

Very distressing seeing someone fall like that, but that's been the story of this country for the last few years now. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,287 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

The Kavanaugh hearings have to have been it because it coincided exactly with them. My hypothesis has always been that he got angry that Democrats seemed to be trying to go after Kavanaugh with fairly weaksauce #MeToo allegations that were increasingly less convincing, and because the centrist media pinned all of its hopes specifically on that, it seemed like the Dems were throwing away a decent Supreme Court over what some woman said may have happened decades ago because #MeToo feminism was taking no prisoners right up until it looked like it was about to backfire and just ensure a conservative majority on the Supreme Court for decades. At some point, he must've been interested in seeing liberal, progressive, and social justice warriors rage at Kavanaugh and want to shut down discourse only to see it backfire, and that inevitably led him down the alt-right rabbithole. Probably started at some video about how feminists were trying to sabotage Kavanaugh based on hearsay evidence and eventually ended up with something like Black Pigeon Speaks and his videos about how women destroy civilizations, why racial differences mean some are inferior, and the Great Displacement. I'm also guessing him becoming a father had something to do about it; he freaked out about the kind of world he was bringing his daughter into (which isn't unfounded; I'm not sure I'd be happy to be a parent if my children had to grow up on a world like this, but then again, I'd be more— not less— willing if we actually did develop AGI soon.)

Similar to but less intense than As We Rise, comparatively. I can't even begin to know what happened there.

These two also helped prove something I had assumed for a while— that the more extreme right wing you get, the more hostile to AGI and transhumanism you become. Both were receptive to it IIRC prior to their sudden shifts to the alt-right and neo-fascism in 2018, but as soon as they became obsessed with anti-White conspiracies, anti-family sentiments, death of tradition, and so on, suddenly artificial intelligence was the death of humanity and an undesirable invention. I mean, I didn't need them for that per se. I already had quite a bit of browsing of Stormfront, Iron March, The Beer Barrel, "uncensored" Reddit forums, and other far-right to neo-fascist forums telling me this. This was just my first time seeing actual futurists begin to express the sentiment in real time.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Something like the #MeToo movement, together with (probably) the logic of the "skeptic movement" and Gamergate movement.

There's a trajectory that a lot of young men seem to fall into that goes something like this:  they start out proclaiming to be a supporter of "science" and "evidence" and "reason".  They read lots of pop science pieces by people like Dawkins and Pinker, and post every science-related thing they can get their hands on.  Then they get a little too obsessed with things like "demographics" and "genetic differences" and "IQ", and start following Gamergate writers.  They get angrier and angrier.  They accuse people of being "politically correct".  And before long, start calling themselves a "classical liberal" -- that they're upholding the original virtues and values of liberalism.  Pretty soon, they're writing openly racist and sexist stuff.  

There are different points where they could have been set aright; but they seem to have a hard time escaping from the pull -- almost like gravity.

Ultimately, I think part of what drives people down this path is their obsession with race and gender.  e.g. they want to know if you are German or Polish or Jewish or black.  That's vitally important to them -- the most important thing in the world!  To them, that means the difference between whether they can treat you like family, or treat you like a distant "other" that they can nonetheless communicate with, even if not empathetically.   (And they've heard and bought into that talk about "against empathy", that "empathy is overrated" -- both of which misunderatand what empathy really is.)

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Is there anywhere that I can take a look at some of Matthew's offensive posts? I just want to personally see how bad they were.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 11,665 posts

I didn't know the full background of Science Rocks leaving until reading it in this thread.  I do remember that he was upset about the Kavanaugh hearings.  It all points to how hard it is to hold a coalition together of very diverse people.  It is way too easy for people to get into a zero sum game mentality. Thus, to be offended at one development or another. It is so easy to lose track of the idea that justice for all best serves the needs of all.  Especially when all of history has pointed to how dominant elites have denied justice to the lower class for their own narrow interests. 

Personally, I think the Kavanaugh thing was due more to Kavanaugh's behavior and lies than it was too any unfair treatment by the Democrats. Still, that is just my opinion and I can easily see how somebody might come to a different conclusion.  As others have indicated, that was a great loss to see Science Rocks go down that rabbit hole.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Beautifully put, Joe! FWIW, in regards to the idea of genetic racial/ethnic differences on average traits, bzflater/Armchair Anarchist also previously talked about this topic on here--back in 2014, I believe--but she was talking about this topic in the context of transhumanism--as in, she apparently believed that transhumanism could eventually close these gaps.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

I wish that I could have talked to Matthew before his banning--maybe try to reason with him? It was worth a shot, right?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationLondon

Is there anywhere that I can take a look at some of Matthew's offensive posts? I just want to personally see how bad they were.

His profile is still up. But we tend to delete the really offensive stuff, and only a limited selection of his posts are available in the profile.

https://www.futureti...7-sciencerocks/

I wish that I could have talked to Matthew before his banning--maybe try to reason with him? It was worth a shot, right?

It wouldn't have made any difference. We tried everything. He was given multiple chances.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Just noticed this thread. No, essentially I wasn't "banned", it was my own decision to leave. Then (few months later) I returned, but mainly out of habit. Yet the very reason that made me leave in 2018, only deepened and strengthened since then.

People with different views can discuss them. When these differences are growing, people can start an ugly and unconstructive flamewar or troll each other. After a certain point, however, this all reaches a point when two sides simply lose interest to each other views and personalities. And add here the amazing intellectual dishonesty and moral relativism proudly demonstrated by some core members... in short, compared to old good days, now I'm rather a reader than a writer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users