Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

An interactive map of the US's historical racial and ethnic diversity by county for every US census year between 1960 and 2060

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

I don't see a problem with eugenics so long as it is done voluntarily and non-coercively. For those of you who are going to criticize me for this, do you also oppose the abortion of Down's Syndrome fetuses? What about having people select sperm/egg donors based on desirable traits of these donors? If you support these things, just how exactly is what I'm proposing here meaningfully different from these things? 

I've long agreed with those points. 

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

It's no so much that he cares too much about IQ it's that he doesn't realize that IQ isn't deterministic as regards the economy, quality of life, and overall success. It's one component among many equals. Furthermore, any presumed difference between national IQ's is based upon very limited collections of data and the utility of said data is further diminished by the fact that for low income countries a majority of that difference is easily explained by inadequate nutrition levels. Not to mention that there is a much larger difference between individuals than there is between groups. Futurist at best has a highly deterministic and simplistic world view that is plain wrong and at worst his view is a nefarious veil for ulterior motives. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

It's no so much that he cares too much about IQ it's that he doesn't realize that IQ isn't deterministic as regards the economy, quality of life, and overall success. It's one component among many equals. Furthermore, any presumed difference between national IQ's is based upon very limited collections of data and the utility of said data is further diminished by the fact that for low income countries a majority of that difference is easily explained by inadequate nutrition levels. Not to mention that there is a much larger difference between individuals than there is between groups. Futurist at best has a highly deterministic and simplistic world view that is plain wrong and at worst his view is a nefarious veil for ulterior motives. 

Yes, it would certainly be nice if we had more detailed and more reliable IQ data for the developing world; I'm certainly not disputing that. I'm also not disputing your other points here--as in, that environmental differences could significantly hold back some Third World countries and that the IQ difference within groups is much greater than the IQ difference between groups is. Still, the average IQ difference between groups is noticeable enough to make itself visible--for instance, in regards to comparing the economic situation of US blacks, US Hispanics, US whites, and US Asians.

There's also a correlation between IQ and some other things, such as life expectancy:

https://www.scientif...al population).

This correlation appears to mostly be due to higher-IQ people on average having better genes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4795559/

However, this correlation is NOT perfect since otherwise US Hispanics would not be living longer than US whites on average in spite of US Hispanics' lower average IQ.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

I don't see a problem with eugenics so long as it is done voluntarily and non-coercively. For those of you who are going to criticize me for this, do you also oppose the abortion of Down's Syndrome fetuses? What about having people select sperm/egg donors based on desirable traits of these donors? If you support these things, just how exactly is what I'm proposing here meaningfully different from these things? 

I've long agreed with those points. 

Good to hear! :)

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Yes, it would certainly be nice if we had more detailed and more reliable IQ data for the developing world; I'm certainly not disputing that. I'm also not disputing your other points here--as in, that environmental differences could significantly hold back some Third World countries and that the IQ difference within groups is much greater than the IQ difference between groups is. Still, the average IQ difference between groups is noticeable enough to make itself visible--for instance, in regards to comparing the economic situation of US blacks, US Hispanics, US whites, and US Asians.

There's also a correlation between IQ and some other things, such as life expectancy:

https://www.scientif...al population).

This correlation appears to mostly be due to higher-IQ people on average having better genes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4795559/

However, this correlation is NOT perfect since otherwise US Hispanics would not be living longer than US whites on average in spite of US Hispanics' lower average IQ.

Another interesting fact: While AFAIK US blacks live less than US whites live on average, US blacks actually don't appear to be underrepresented among verified US supercentenarians:

https://scholarworks...ontology_theses

So, in spite of the fact that US blacks punch below their weight in regards to top academic performance, they are actually able to punch their weight or perhaps even punch above their weight in regards to longevity--which again suggests that the IQ to longevity correlation is certainly NOT perfect.

Yep, it's quite interesting--blacks are significantly underrepresented among top US academic performers but not among verified US supercentenarians:

https://i0.wp.com/ww...00,9999px&ssl=1

(Among those students who score 650 or above on the Math SAT, only 2% are black even though blacks are over 10% of the total US population.)

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

How does one post an image here?

Computron

Computron

• Members
  • PipPip