Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IS it human nature to like your era of pop culture the best?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

writer_guide

writer_guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Is it human nature to prefer your favorite films  popstar etc, from when you were growing  better then any era before your time or  after?

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

I don't know about pop-stars, but one can enjoy films regardless of when they were made.  I tend to prefer more modern stuff (after about 2015), and modern actors, but also enjoy films from back in the 1960s and 50s, before I was born.  e.g. Hitchcock films are excellent -- great acting, well-crafted scripts, stark and iconic cinematography, brilliant editing.  I also like Spaghetti Westerns, which are  big step up from previous westerns.  I would call them mythopoeic.  Take Once Upon a Time in the West, for example.  It's like the bar scenes were the playing out of prophesy.  When the cafe doors swing open, the dust glints in the sun, and the foreboding music plays, it's like the beginning of the completion of a legend:

Timeless, and repeated again and again throughout human history.

10 year march

10 year march

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

I think it is human nature and it plays a role on my own self, it is nostalgia.

One could make the argument that if we don't die of old age that nostalgia will disappear due to classical conditioning.

Blue Kumul

Blue Kumul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It's a quirk of last 70 years or so that people are attached to commercial entertainment so much.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,508 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Last 70 years you say? 

You must be forgetting how classical and romantic music (people were and still are obsessed with Wagner and Stravinsky for a reason), various great novels and poems & plays (many of which were treated similarly to how we treat big TV shows and movies now), and virtuosos of their time like Paganini. This current culture really started in the early 1800s; it just got supercharged after WWII thanks to a cross-section of new technology, primarily television and automobiles.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users