Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

neXt TV series about runaway AI...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

I know there is a TV thread (I created one), but since this is about runaway AI, which should be of special interest to this forum, I decided to create a separate post and discuss it:

https://en.wikipedia...2020_TV_series)

You can watch the first 4 episodes on Hulu. It is showing on Fox. It has been cancelled, so there won't be a second season -- if they give it a good ending, they might not need  one (a second season).

The series is about an AI called neXt, which was the name of a new virtual assistant technology with human-level intelligence. The AI escapes from its "box", and gets recursively more intelligent. It kills people to keep them from stopping it, and it manipulates others to do its bidding. Given full access to the internet, and high intelligence, it's pretty much unstoppable. But presumably the characters in the story will find a way.

The episodes are sprinkled with phrases like "recursive self-improvement", and even the term "superintelligence". You can see that the director must have spent at least a little time getting to know that lingo, and amassing quotes from people like Elon Musk.

One thing that would have greatly diminished the AI's ability to do damage in the story would be if the characters could talk about it to everyone else. Most of the other characters in the story disbelieve in advanced AI, and can't even imagine what kind of damage it could do. I think that's probably how it would play out if an AI escaped right now. It would be hard to convince others of the danger, and it would be dismissed as the ravings of lunatic or maybe just a joke. Also, too, people don't trust the news media anymore.

Look at Covid.  Large numbers of people still don't take the threat seriously.  What are the chances they would listen to someone warning about the dangers of a runaway AI?

10 year march

10 year march

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Thanks out of my leisure time watching this will be high priority although if it seems unrealistic I will probably stop watching it.

Here is the actual trailer for it

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

It's actually not bad, as far as "realism" goes.  A lot of AI TV shows and movies have themes like:  AI launches nuclear missiles (nukes aren't actually networked to a computer like that); AI time-travels (very likely not possible); AI predicts the future (likely not possible, except in a rough statistical sense).

Some might quibble with a few technical details and make comments like, "Oh, you can't communicate with the internet wirelessly like that!  Lolz!" or "You can't overload a server like that, and set it on fire.  Lolz!" or "That's so unrealistic how they tried to `crack the encryption'.  Lolz!"  

But they weren't glaring enough to cause me to dismiss it.

I'd say this show is probably the most accurate depiction of an AI attack / runaway AI scenario yet made for TV or even film.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users