Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Our Political Downward Spiral

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

I was just thinking that iPan probably has a lot to say on this topic.  He's on my forum, and if I were to tell him that Purpose is here, he'd probably show up.  

zombiefood, also.  

iPan is an "anarchist", kind of like a less polite (prone to rage), older (maybe around 43 or 45), sometimes-homeless, sometimes-mentally-ill version of Erowind; zombiefood is an older "Democrat" (I think he's probably 70+, maybe 75+), and can be as impolite as iPan.

iPan and funkervogt don't get along very well, unfortunately.  (I'll not bother to say more...)  Nor probably zombiefood and funkervogt.  (Again, the less said, the better...)

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • 1,967 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome to the forum purpose, I think this is an excellent thread. Answering the question of how Republicans came to view politics as an existential crisis requiring revolution against satan-worshipping Democrats will be the defining struggle this decade. Humanity is at a crossroads here; if democracy falls in the US, it will soon topple everywhere else.

To be clear, I don't think this is only on Republicans and conservatives. They happen to be the force actively undermining democracy in the US right now, but in many other places it's the populist left doing this. What we're seeing is the collapse of values that have been held sacred in the West since the Enlightenment; reason, individual liberty, progress, constitutional government, believing evidence over feelings. These ideals are what allowed the West to prosper for centuries, and they are why we live in democracies right now rather than tyrannical regimes. But none of these matter anymore. It's only what you feel, and what your political tribe says, that matters. Oh you have a feeling Liberals are pedophiles? It doesn't matter that you have no evidence, because it's what you feel. Your feelings are hurt because a conservative says borders should be respected? Well, better get the Twitter mob out to destroy that person's life and make him an outcast. In fact, the conservatives didn't start this war on reality; the left did. Postmodernists have longed waged a war against values of the Enlightenment, saying there is no objective reality, or truth, and that morality is only relative. Well, I hope they are enjoying the Frankenstein they unleashed upon society because they're gonna be the first ones the fascists come far when they get to power.

Our education systems failed us; they did not teach people to think critically when listening to politicians, and they did not prepare us for the age of social media. Now any asshat can spew shit straight of his ass on youtube, and millions, even hundreds of millions of people, will see it; and they will fall prey to it because they don't have the reasoning capacity to see through a lie, or because they want to believe it. I also believe disaffection plays a role in turning an otherwise rational person into a conspiracy theorist. People who feel lost are easy targets for conspiracy theorists and cults. People who may have lost their jobs, or a family member. People who failed at their respective career path. People who are scared shitless by the current pandemic, and are trying to find an explanation for how things could have gone so wrong. People without a purpose, or who feel like they have no control over their lives, want an explanation for why things are the way they are. A conspiracy theory, or a cult, is like a comforting friend; it's there to give you the answers to your questions, to tell you that everything has a purpose, and in the end all wrongs will be righted if the enemy is destroyed. Your life hasn't gone wrong because of your own actions, or because of chance; it's because there's some complex plot that has been working against you this whole time. These people want to believe that lizard Democrats are running the world; they have a need for such an explanation. How do you pull someone out of quicksand, when they think the hand you're offering them is going to drag them even deeper?

I don't know the answer to this. I don't think there is one. Our realities have been split at core by social media; we are all fed our own tailored information streams, designed by algorithms to hook us in even further. I'm sure plenty of people know how this works, but if you don't, do yourself a favour and watch the Social Dilemma. If postmodernism shot and killed the Enlightenment, then social media is the nail in the coffin. 

purpose

purpose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

@starspawn0 where is your forum these days?

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Good to see you, purpose. :)

I had no idea that iPan was that age. I assumed he was 20s, maybe 30s. zombiefood is an older guy, yeah. I recall him saying that at least some of high school years were spent in the 60s.

purpose

purpose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
don't know the answer to this. I don't think there is one. Our realities have been split at core by social media; we are all fed our own tailored information streams, designed by algorithms to hook us in even further.

Ya I don't have an answer to this problem either.  One only needs to watch Trump's twitter feed replies to see how screwed we are.  What scares me most is not the ignorance displayed in these responses (they are horrible but not the worst part).  The worst by far are those posts which if you read very carefully you can observe people who are actively posting things they don't really believe  (on both sides), they say it with purposeful intent to manipulate peoples feels into acting even more irrationally. 

Sadly when you have the president of the Untied States abusing social media to manipulate the population how can we really that this would spawn countless others to do the same?  10 years ago I never would have imagined that simple social communication technology would lead to such utter social-political rot. 

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,263 posts

My forum is /r/thisisthewayitwillbe  

iPan's handle is /u/PanDariusKairos

Zombiefood's is /u/zombiefood1

Several years ago,  iPan said he had a son who was almost 20 years old.  He probably is 23 or 24 by now.  

I think the son was the result one of iPan's long, long list (probably nearing 100 women by now) of sexual encounters.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

I think this thread is relevant considering the decline of living conditions, wages, and political representation etc...

This is a fantastic class analysis (kind of) of our political and socio-economic future in the US.  The Real Class War - American Affairs

The author lays out how the actual working class have all but lost their political power.  The class of "middle elites" or the top 10% minus the top .01% are now the only class with enough political power to refresh the archaic, decaying political system and fix the wealth gap.  However, with the decline in pay and importance of middle-high income professions such as finance, business, engineering, and academia wealth is pooling at the top and the middle elites are also under threat.

Ultimately, the question that will determine the future of American politics is whether the rest of the elite will consent to their contin­ued proletarianization only to further enrich this pathetic oli­garchy. If they do, future historians of American collapse will find something truly exceptional: capitalism without competence and feu­dalism with­out nobility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users