Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Project: "Little Miss Savage"

Little Miss Savage Yuli Ban fiction

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,919 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Latest thing I've been focusing on for the past year or so. 

Spoiler

3NQV4PQ.jpg

I don't know if I've mentioned this story before (as in before 2020) but I've been toying with it since around 2016.

Little Miss Savage is ostensibly a slice-of-life story about nothing in particular, but that's really just a copout.

If you've ever seen Dragon Ball Z, you're probably well aware of the Saiyajins (or Saiyans, if you prefer as I do). If you haven't, you're still probably well-enough aware of Star Trek's Klingons, Warhammer's various races like Orks and Khorne's Warriors of Chaos, or any number of other ultraviolent warrior races. 

What's more, you're obviously more than well aware enough of superhumans in fiction considering the MCU and DCU. Little Miss Savage first started life when I had a chance thought several years ago: What if a Saiyan appeared on Earth and killed a bunch of people?" In this instance, instead of asking "Who would we send to fight them? Would we train Jackie Chan?" I instead asked "So how would the criminal justice system handle a superhuman? Like, what if the police tried arresting them and they just said 'No' and walked off and went to the beach and did nothing else?" Human society would never be able to handle a superhuman. If a Saiyan really came here, forget having to gather a bunch of superpowered kung fu monks to beat them back. Realistically, just existing at all would be enough to upend all human society and mores. A few years later, a Reddit thread brought this back to mind in full force: 

The most unbelievable part of any superhero movie is that the world economy is still intact by the end of it

Civilization period, never mind "economy."

A civilization with superheroes/villains is alternately chaotic and tyrannical, and people would lose interest in making plans or playing by rules when they see it all repeatedly evaporate every time someone with a power gets an itch.

This is what people don't understand about ancient societies ruled by God-Kings and cunning warlords - they were not orderly. At all. People had no control, so they didn't plan and didn't follow rules - didn't even know they had the option.

All these franchise movies where people go about their business like everything is normal and then just make a passing reference to entire cities being annihilated by incomprehensible menaces are just embarrassing. The world would revert to the 10th century in 5 years tops, at a quarter of its former population.

Yup. Most people would revert to desperate superstition and cultism because they have nothing else to rely on - a situation the villains would encourage, and build cults around themselves. The few willing and able to probe the physical nature of the "powers" would be massacred, or enslaved by the powers they study to develop weapons against their enemies.

Superman doesn't have time to be a laboratory security guard and ethical watchdog to ensure they're not just being forced to build weapons against himself.

Instant reversion to the Dark Ages.

I didn't want to immediately dive into this. Most of the series is slice of life, but the intent is to eventually play with this concept.

The creatures I've created are called "Yabans" who are blatant expies of the Saiyans to the point of literally being borderline copyright infringing, hence my joke of them being "Legally-Not-Saiyans." It was originally taken from the Japanese word for "Savage/Barbarian" (yabanjin) and was once "Yabansaru" or "Yabansarujin" (i.e. "Barbarian Monkey People"). However I decided I didn't want to be a weeaboo and went with a different word, one that also meant "savage" or "barbarian" or "outsider". I liked "Yaban" but I wanted something preferably not Japanese. My first choice was Turkish.

The Turkish word for "Savage" is "Yaban".

Technically it's the "foreigner/uncivilized" meaning of savage, not "barbaric wildman" but still. At some point, you just have to accept when the universe is telling you something.

"Barbarian" fits Yabans perfectly, as they're supposed to be war-crazed. So war-crazed that it gets its own designation, a specific kind of neurological quirk called "nexcidium" which typically means "impulsive aggression" though it can also be translated to "impulsive action." 

The gist of Little Miss Savage is that one of these types— a fairly young, equivalently-teenaged and ridiculously battle-scarred female Yaban named Sol Yulaan— winds up on Earth by accident when her owner sells her to an eccentric man after the latter beats the former in a game. 

You'd think a story like this would have nothing to do with my usual topics of discussion.

You'd actually be surprised.

There are really three big ideas at play here, each reinforcing why Sol Yulaan is the lead character, why Yabans have to be at least Saiyanlike/Orklike, and why it has to be our Earth/our universe.

1) Earth's inability to restrain superhuman forces. This is why Yulaan is so powerful as well as why she's the only one here. The idea is to bring in others now and again, but it's really only characters aligned with her. Human civilization is a fleeting thing, and the strongest men who ever lived only had social power. Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Joseph Stalin, Julius Caesar— all just men who convinced others they were something more through societal threads. There's a reason why I went with ripping off Saiyans rather than making them Space Vikings or making it so that Yulaan is just secularly strong and needs loads of sci-fi gadgetry to do anything more. The fact she can erase Earth with her own mystical strength, a flick of the wrist at most, is one of the biggest things that drives a bunch of stories and questions raised. There is nothing humans can do about her, no matter what she does. If she revealed herself, people would inevitably begin worshipping her as a god and disregarding established countries and institutions. Even if she remained concealed, she is really free to do as she pleases.

2) The ur-fascistic nature of warrior societies. This is something that tends to be ignored or glossed over (I recall Gears of Wars ran with this angle, and the Halo extended universe greatly hints that Earth is a fascist planet, and let's not forget Fight Club being all about ur-fascistic machismo driving aggression). A society that revolves around warfare, hero cults, and death worship are inevitably going to share tendencies with fascist regimes. Yulaan isn't just driven by a warrior culture but Yabanic bloodlust as well. All of which she has to keep under control.

3) The gender clash. *Little Miss Savage* wouldn't work without a female protagonist, and indeed, the Proud Warrior Race Guy trope runs into some issues when you get a Proud Warrior Race Girl and put her on Earth— especially when you have something like what Yulaan is. As I'll explain in greater detail later, Yabans have three sexes; the two traditional ones we have and a third hermaphroditic sex that's responsible for most breeding/reproduction because the males and females have virtually no sex or romantic drive outside pure, barely-there instincts. If this ever takes off, people are going to lewd them anyway, so why not have fun with sexless monkeys in canon? This, too, brings many cultural clashes because humans are incredibly sexual and romantic and consider females to be naturally romantic (heck, one major symbol we use to denote femininity is the same we use for romance). It's the best excuse to write a story about a "Man with Boobs" type SFC.

I should start publishing this next month, one month from now on the 16th. I promise this time. Not like the disastrous attempt with the last story from last year.
This is my infodump thread.

L1VWtYY.jpg

Or here?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

Now there are some things that I get into that I don't much bring up on the forums itself, such as gender politics. I believe I mentioned before in the Chat thread that Yabans have different physiology and even a third hermaphroditic sex, and this was to  create the ultimate "Strong Female Characters™". If you're unaware of what a Strong Female Character™ or SFC™ is, it refers to a relatively recent set of character archetypes. 

Sherlock Holmes gets to be brilliant, solitary, abrasive, Bohemian, whimsical, brave, sad, manipulative, neurotic, vain, untidy, fastidious, artistic, courteous, rude, a polymath genius. Female characters get to be Strong.

People have recognized that female characters in fiction tend to get the short end of the stick. Historically, there existed only a tiny handful of female archetypes:

• Wise mother
  • Innocent youth/damsel
  • Nagging wife
  • Seductress whore
  • Old hag
  • Evil witch

Whereas there are dozens upon dozens of archetypes for male characters. What's more, half of the female archetypes are often cast as "weak" characters because they are passive. The other half who aren't passive were entirely negative— the Whore, Nag, and the Witch.  An effort to rectify this was to simply take a male archetype and put a female character into it, and that can work. However, you do have to be careful for some because there are clear societal expectations, prejudices, behavioral quirks, and biological realities that can undermine some of them if you do a straight 1::1 swap without thinking about it. 

But a lot of the times, we don't even get that. Rather, people reduce male characterization down to "Strong." As in physically over-capable. Therefore the best way to make a female character a good character is to make them also Strong. Hence aggressive, macho, badass lady warriors. On its own that's not even a problem, at least not to me— as I've mentioned before, I'm of the mind there are four basic gender expressions forced down to two, and "masculine female" is one of them, and if society didn't try forcing all girls to be passive moody damsels regardless of their actual orientation, this would be more obvious.

The issue people noticed is that most of these SFCs™ are completely flat characters only championed because they're "Strong" in a masculine way. To boot, they don't even look strong. You do have the Men with Boobs trope of the robust Butch character, but that's how you'd make such a character believable anyway
Most SFCs™ still have killer sex appeal: trim arms, firm breasts, lots of curves, little evidence of combat, and lots of tight clothing, complete with a weight of maybe 100 pounds, maybe even 120 pounds if particularly daring. If they ever pump their guns, you'd see that they have not an iota of musculature on them. This is so they can prove they're effortlessly better than all the boys.

Joss Whendon is notorious for this. Most of his female characters are total waifs who can nevertheless judo toss 300 pound henchmen.
Again, in a world of magic or ultra-high technology, this isn't particularly unbelievable. In many cases, however, the only explanation given is "military/martial arts training" and "I was raised with five brothers."

My plan for bollois is to do nothing different at all. Just run with that concept. Though I also wanted to see how exactly it would really work. Yulaan herself starts out child-sized and maxes out at around 5'1" or 5'2" as an adult (she's supposed to be a "runt"). She looks like she's only 100 pounds at most, though to be fair bollois aren't as trim and devoid of musculature as women are. And while the story has its origins in Eastern fantasy and thus uses qi for supernatural abilities, it'd feel like a copout to just rely on that. So how do I get away with extreme and secular physical strength so that it's not as crazy to see Yulaan punch someone so hard that their body rips in half? 

It's actually real simple: just make her dense. Like, incredibly dense. Yabans are 10x-20x denser than humans, with radically different "stuff" making up their biology. Yulaan weighs well more than a half a ton even as a child and has to use qi to reduce her working weight just to function in human society. 

Anyone who has even a fleeting interest in martial artistry (of any kind, not just Eastern ones) will know that weight matters, not necessarily size. It's not that size matters most, just that size and weight are strongly correlated. This is why there are separate weight categories and why it's illegal to pit two people of different classes against each other— even a 20 pound difference can have profound effects on the outcome of a fight. Imagine a 1,400 pound difference.

Then you have the differences of neurology and psychology, a wholly different culture, and hailing from a different universe with different rules. Some of the most fun I get noting and worldbuilding and coming up with ideas for this story/series is just pitting a bolloi against human gender norms & prejudices, both traditional and progressive, and seeing what happens. It's fun to play with an unironic Strong Female Character™ who is also an interdimensional alien, meaning I can also bullshit a bunch of reasons for why she is this way.

Adding qi (or ki, or prana, or as the Yabans themselves call it: "vril") turns them into Thermonuclear Klingons.

There is nothing humans can do about her, no matter what she does.

The same thing could be lobbied at any of the usual capeshit movies from Marvel or DC. Superhumans regularly destroy cities and kill thousands, but the most in terms of side effects that's ever raised is "insurance companies and property rates and occasionally citizens getting fed up." There's probably going to be an MCU or  DCU movie in the near future about common citizens revolting against superheroes for casually causing such havoc, and the fact average people can't compare to superhumans, mutants, or aliens will be a missed point.

If a superhuman with the ability to destroy even just a city appeared on Earth right now, and even nuclear weapons could not affect them, human civilization would be fucked— and not for any dastardly plot involving them either

Human civilization is built around the unstated fact that all humans are equivalent creatures. It doesn't matter the delusions of the traditionalists that some men are better than others— no king is going to survive getting hit by a speeding car. The strongest man who ever lived would not survive a beating from three other people ganging up on him if he was unprepared. The most powerful man who ever lived only had social power; a single gunshot, knife shivving, or poison dart would kill him all the same as the lowliest peasant. No man can fly without technology. No man can punch down a building. No man can run faster than a cheetah. We're all fairly limited apes. 

If a superhuman really appeared, all of that goes to shit. We have no contingencies to deal with someone genuinely qualitatively superior to ourselves. If you could destroy a country just by shooting a Hadōken at it and wipe out a whole army with your bare fists, the last thing any Earthly power would do is oppose you. Indeed, most people would reject their governments and idols and give reverence to you, and right there you start seeing the breakdown of society. If you can outthink us a billion times over, how do we counter you? How do we plan against you? We can't, and it's foolish to even try to come up with scenarios where we could. We're like ants trying to fathom a human. If a human kills a ant , do the ant put that human into ant jail? No, they just have to deal with it. No legal framework can possibly exist to handle Yulaan, and to make things maximally hard, there's no one we can call either. Yulaan's the only one. No Goku, no Superman, no Thor, no one. It's just us and our contemporary world with this otherworldly being, and we just have to hope her values are aligned with ours to survive.

Gee. What does that sound like?

Yep. Somehow I even managed to turn a bizarro slice-of-life wuxia-tinged story about my Xenoverse waifu a Saiyan ripoff into a mild allegory of the Singularity

Thankfully for Earth, Yulaan isn't some spoiled bratty teenager but instead some esoteric shadowy barbarian with a high level of self-control. To start with, at least...

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

I know I mentioned something before about what if humans encountered aliens that are genuinely violent in a way humans aren't or can't be. I came up with a term called "nexcidium" that is supposed to denote a spontaneous impulsive violence. This is proof they were an engineered race, too— there's no feasible way to become a nexcidious species without being engineered, programmed, drug-addled, or demon-possessed because nexcidium is extraordinarily too violent to evolve in nature. Unless you're talking about nexcidium as "impulsive action", in which case sexual urges like what humans have could be considered a variant of it. That's the best way to think of yabans' violence— it is to them what sex is to us. This comes at the cost of their own sexual lust; almost all yabans would be considered asexual/ace or the most vanilla/least active heterosexual imaginable because they have virtually no sexual or romantic proclivities. It's why I had to create a third asexually-reproducing hermaphroditic sex for them; the males (nagois) and females (bollois) just don't fuck enough to explain their numbers being anywhere north of "zero." Making things even harder is the fact bollois are estrous females, like dogs or cats, meaning they are only even available to reproduce once every so often compared to women (who are ostensibly always available); you'd think that might get things moving, but even a heat doesn't rile them much; they're wired for violence.

Males = nagois (lit. "Warrior people")

Females = bollois (lit. "Industrial people")

Gamales = yenois (lit. "Breeder people")

I came up with it after stealing the Saiyans' psychological desire for battle and conflict and claims that they preferred war rather than peace with other species.  This wasn't extreme enough, so I decided to go to Warhammer 40k and its fascistic obsession with violence, especially with the Orks and Khorne's Warriors of Chaos. 
Orks literally cannot be anything but violence incarnate and the Warriors of Chaos believe in eternal insane warfare (though with a sense of honor).

Of course it's not easy to tell stories about something that's demonically violent (at least the stories I plan to tell) so I had to split yabans in twain psychologically. Higher-order yabans being more Saiyan/Khorne-like; lower-order/feral yabans being Orks/zombies who are driven purely by ultraviolent impulse and nothing else. Like Broly in his legendary form.

All this thinking made me even more fascinated by the history of violence, however, and being forced to consider such alien-like brands of violence made me reflect on human violence.

Humans literally can't be violent via nexcidium, save for extreme circumstances that border almost on the paranormal (that fuzzy area between extreme rarity and unscientific happenings). It's easy to confuse nexcidium with "extreme violence" — indeed, one microplot involves someone trying to convince Yulaan that humans are nexcidious creatures because of violence from the Nazis, ISIS, American wars, narcowars, horrific torture, hurtcore, crucifixions, etc. And Yulaan's response is "If the Germans under the Nazis were nexcidious, why did Goebbels have a job?" If humans are nexcidious, we wouldn't need to be convinced to engage in war or justify violence; it'd come naturally and without contemplation. The Germans would have been riled to war and genocide without any need for a dictator, propaganda, or a casus belli.

This goes back to my original fascination with how alien Saiyans unintentionally were (even though most of their "alienness" was just typical kung fu warrior codes that just happened to be ingrained into their biology). We consider humans to be extraordinarily violent creatures, so imagine if there was a categorization system of violence from 0 to 5 that placed humans closer to the middle (~2 to 3). Imagine how much more violent and degenerate a category 4 or 5 species would have to be to outclass humans
The way I came up with it goes that a category 5 level of aggression isn't even possible to evolve naturally because there is no possible way a species that violent would survive beyond a few generations.
Humans historically have been a category 3 Conqueror race with Proud Warrior Societies dedicated to expansion and glorification of warfare. Ever since the advent of nuclear weaponry, we've been shocked towards a Category 2 status where we now view war as the scourge of our species but still maintain imperialistic ambitions within reason (large-scale war being too destructive to wage) and a move towards a more Prime Directive-driven idea of exploration/colonization. After a few more generations, presuming we survive, we may shift over to a Category 1 that outright avoids all war and sees even a single unnecessary combat death as a moral defeat greater than any material victory.

A Category 4 would be a crazed species that actively seeks to start wars for the thrill of fighting in them and the glory of war itself, like what we commonly view Vikings as being (though they themselves actually weren't so). And a Category 5, as mentioned, would be those driven by impulsive destruction; they have no concept of imperialism because they only lay waste to what they can reach— nothing material matters. And I figured you could only reach this level through genetic engineering, artificial programming, or demonic possession (unless you're a sentient fungus like Warhammer Orks) though a similar state can be reached through extremely profound altered mental states (such as through drugs or violent psychosis)
The dream is that, if humans ever came across alien life, we'd deal with a Category 0, 1, or non-illiberal 2
An illiberal 2 would wipe us out from a distance and a 3 would enslave us at absolute best and probably just nuke us from a distance anyway. A 4 would be desperate to see how deadly and warlike humans really are so god only knows what they'd do. And heaven forfend the day we encounter nexcidious aliens.

But (or should I say BUTT) as mentioned, one could consider human sexual urges to be an alternative to nexcidium. Yabans are legendarily sexless, hence why they have a third hermaphroditic sex dedicated to asexually reproducing— the males and females very rarely get it on (and even if they did, the females are estrous and are only available rarely) all so their violent potential is maximized. It can be thought that they are as violent as we are sexual. Thus it can be hard for humans to understand the yaban drive for violence just as it's hard for them to understand just how overwhelming sexual we are, but we can meet at a middle ground. Humans have sexual urges that pervade our very thought and behavior. Only a liar or anhedonic asexual would ever say they don't cop a look at someone else's ass, for example. And it's not really conscious. Once you see some cleavage or a cute face or a hot body, you're just instinctively drawn to further checking out even if you pull yourself away or have modesty or even if you're already in a relationship. It's purely impulsive and natural and few would find fault in it so long as you aren't a creep about it for that reason. If you can shift your understanding of this from sexual lust to battle lust and imagine this sort of perving centered around thoughts of combat or destruction, you can begin to understand violent nexcidium.

Building back into the gender politics part of it, let's not forget that we tend to assume that females = romance and sexuality. Heck, one symbol we use to denote femalekind is the Valentine heart, which is also synonymous with love, romance, and sexuality. If this series ever takes off in its own little niche part of the internet, it's obvious people are going to lewd bollois anyway, so why not have fun playing with an aro-ace-normative people, where femalekind falls on the "behaviorally masculine" part of the spectrum to boot. This is me just playing around.

So...

Category 0: Pacifists/Reclusives

Category 1: Peacekeepers/Explorers.

Category 2: Imperialists/Policers.

Category 3: Proud Warriors/Conquerors.

Category 4: Extreme Warriors/Destroyers.

Category 5: Nexcidious Warriors/Demons.

Each can be scary. For example: a category 0 might be peaceful, but they may use extreme measures to assimilate everyone through ostensibly nonviolent means.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

Here are some quasi-photorealistic images generated of Sol Yulaan, the main character

0ZepxM8.jpg

HalLhKN.jpg

It astounds me that we've reached this point in history.

Even three years ago, this would've cost hundreds of dollars— each. Trust me, it costs a lot to get a photorealistic commission... and now I can use an AI, via Artbreeder, to do it for free. That's insane.

This isn't perfect, and I had to do a lot of finagling to get the high-voltage hair and the eye-obscured hair alike because Artbreeder's GAN isn't exactly trained on such extreme-looking people. And it doesn't like making females/women look too angry either, plus it's impossible to add the scars, but I'm not begging right now. The fact it's possible at all and to this level of depth at that is a testament to the synthetic media era in which we're currently living.

Hell, one reason why I'm gungho about writing this story is because I recognize we're not far from the era of AI-generated media en masse, so it'd be all too easy to get lost in the coming wave of synthetic entertainment. I'd like to do one thing before that arrives and I join the cacophony. As far as I can take it, I mean; it's not like I can actually sell a product like this, especially considering... you know...

Erowind

Erowind

Kronstadt sailors did nothing wrong!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

I don't have anything to add other than that I'm excited for the 16th! I've been wanting to read a completed novel or even a novella of yours for years Yuli and somehow through all my changing interests your writing still sticks. Good luck! I'll leave you good reviews and feedback before even finishing the book. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

It'll be an ongoing serial, not a fully completed novel. If I keep at it, it might be a few million words long.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Nevertheless excited!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

Getting closer to publishing chapter 1 over on RoyalRoad

Spoiler

What's funny is that Little Miss Savage is really a spin-off, even though it's what I'm leading with. It spun off from another spin-off!

Strongest Under Heaven (on hiatus until I get this particular fic worked on) had a spin-off with The Savages and the lead character from that wound up on our Earth at the end of the story, becoming Little Miss Savage

LMS came as a result of me wanting to create slice of life arcs in Strongest Under Heaven which is otherwise a wuxia/kung fu fantasy story.

qFshDtU.jpg

However, I couldn't reconcile having arcs on both Earths (the fantastical Earth Prime and our mundane Earth) because it was too tonally inconsistent and I wound up floundering with the story for two whole years just trying to figure out how to work it out. How do you go from superhuman martial artistry to esoteric paranormality (and of my style at that, not "jumpscare ghosts and demons horror" style paranormality)? It just happened that when The Savages' plot resulted in Yulaan being forced unto our Earth, everything clicked. I could still do some slice of life bits in SUH but that story could now be limited to just the Prime universe (that's what I'm calling it at the moment, until I find a better name) and not have to crossover into our weak, pathetic, physically limited virgin reality.

And also the concept took me so hard that I put Strongest Under Heaven on hiatus. That one felt more like "Dragon Ball again, but even more grindhousey and Yulified" and I figured I could do something at least a little different with this one.

The Savages is still around too; that's basically my inevitable answer to "I (don't) like the character but don't you think you're squandering her abilities putting her in such a low-burn low-power environment?" 

Yeah, well, dude, guess what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwkhjcFy6b8

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

L1VWtYY.jpg

Or here?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

Currently up to 15,000 words. Once I finish the first 4 episodes/16 chapters and get some more art done, I'll probably start plugging this story more. And going wilder with it; these first four episodes are burning very slow, even by the standards of slice of life stories. 

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

I've been too stressed and busy to read lately but I will actually read Little Miss Savage eventually. Your writing always makes me feel like the internet is new again and all is right in the world, even when the subject of the story can be gruesome sometimes! I bought one of your books on Amazon btw, took me long enough. Posting this because the like function is eternally broken. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Little Miss Savage, Yuli Ban, fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users