Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jordan Peterson Thread

Jordan Peterson Existentialism Christianity Nihilism Neo Marxism Religion Post Modernism Philosophy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

This thread is not about Peterson's political views, though that is the only way many critics comprehend him. Peterson is first and foremost a psychologist who gives insights into our psychological disposition towards the world. I hope that his presence doesn't offend members, and if members are offended, I hope they can listen to his words and see for themselves that his motives are benevolent and fundamentally oriented towards telling the truth.

Jordan Peterson is often confusing to people who haven't listened to him first hand. This thread is dedicated to his real thoughts. 

There are many videos or essays that he has authored first-hand that I can / will post in this thread. I think it's proper to begin at the beginning:

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

Opportunity lurks where responsibility has been abdicated - Jordan Peterson
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Jordan is often talked about in a political discourse based on his political views. It might be tough to remember for his adherents--and downright unexpected for people who only know of Peterson in a political sense--that the overwhelming majority of his insight is in psychology and philosophy, not politics. He's a psychology professor at UoT and a clinical practitioner of psych of 25 years. His political views are a spinoff of his other works, not his pillar. 

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

And let's not forget that it's insufficient to "act good". You have to first comprehend what "good" means, in your own ethic, and then conscientiously act that out.

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

A great and (depending on your knowledge of neuropsychological limits) perhaps necessary prequel that will give you a world-class intro to neuropsych for free

This thread is not about Peterson's political views, though that is the only way many critics comprehend him. Peterson is first and foremost a psychologist who gives insights into our psychological disposition towards the world. I hope that his presence doesn't offend members, and if members are offended, I hope they can listen to his words and see for themselves that his motives are benevolent and fundamentally oriented towards telling the truth.

Jordan Peterson is often confusing to people who haven't listened to him first hand. This thread is dedicated to his real thoughts. 

There are many videos or essays that he has authored first-hand that I can / will post in this thread. I think it's proper to begin at the beginning:

SeedNotYetSprouted

SeedNotYetSprouted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Perhaps I've stepped on the gas too hard with you. Not unusual for me; such is my temperament and such is my nature.

I personally find that his Maps of Meaning lack in topographical data and say nothing of the landscape's vegetation, but if his ideas truly do bring you comfort and offer your life some orientation, then so be it. 

I wish he and you the best.

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Perhaps I've stepped on the gas too hard with you. Not unusual for me; such is my temperament and such is my nature.

I personally find that his Maps of Meaning lack in topographical data and say nothing of the landscape's vegetation, but if his ideas truly do bring you comfort and offer your life some orientation, then so be it. 

I wish he and you the best.

no bad blood

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Big 5: Trait Openness

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Big 5: Conscientiousness

eacao

eacao

Lobster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Big 5: Neuroticism

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

EDIT: cheap shot, sorry

Animator for a living, I do things other than gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube Newgrounds Website

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jordan, Peterson, Existentialism, Christianity, Nihilism, Neo, Marxism, Religion, Post Modernism, Philosophy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users