Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I have saved the forum!

forum futuretimeline shutdown nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

It took 16 hours but I finally have a complete HTML backup of every single thread and subforum on this site! To get it, just run the command

git clone https://gitlab.com/jcoles/ftl.git

in your command line. Then unzip archive.zip and throw up any page you desire on your favorite browser and relive this place's glory days! I even configured the links so point to the archive, not FT itself, so the browse features will all work even when this forum goes down. The search features won't work since they require a backend but the rest should be usable. I was also too lazy to back up the status updates. I'm not sure if you can even automate that though.

Anyway, enjoy. My cringy 15 year old self's ramblings shall live forever now. Muahahaha...I guess?

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

If I die it shall be in vain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
Those Christians weren't lying about the second coming , huh? Also, college isn't a waste of money. You're hired!
The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

what

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

If I die it shall be in vain

• Members
  • 2,135 posts

what

The first part was a joke about you being the Messiah since you "saved" the forum. The second part was another joke about how people say college/university doesn't teach you any practical skills, and yet you did something very practical (although you may not have learned any of the requisite knowledge from uni). 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Cool! Though I imagine you might have to do this again since posting hasn't been disabled yet, unless we decide the posts made after this archive aren't worth it. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Erowind

Erowind

Kronstadt sailors did nothing wrong!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

How large is the archive? Asking so I know if I need to clean up my pc first, only 300gb of free space right now. Assuming everything works you can claim my bounty if you want!

Edit: nevermind, it's only about a gig. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,595 posts
  • LocationLondon

Thanks Jakob!

902.gif

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Cool! Though I imagine you might have to do this again since posting hasn't been disabled yet, unless we decide the posts made after this archive aren't worth it. 

I made the code public so anyone who wants to do it later can.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

How large is the archive? Asking so I know if I need to clean up my pc first, only 300gb of free space right now. Assuming everything works you can claim my bounty if you want!

Edit: nevermind, it's only about a gig. 

878 MB when zipped, about 4.7 GB unzipped

Erowind

Erowind

Kronstadt sailors did nothing wrong!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

And with this, a new era dawns on the forum. 

For anyone who can't figure out how to use git in the command line go here.  https://gitlab.com/jcoles/ftl

Just click the little download button and then click on zip here

6iSyJqt.png

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Jakob, either you did it, or right now I'm downloading a computer virus that is so big it's going to make my motherboard explode and kill me. 

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Jakob, either you did it, or right now I'm downloading a computer virus that is so big it's going to make my motherboard explode and kill me. 

;)

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Jakob, I downloaded the file and unzipped it. What app do I use to open each of the forum archive files? 

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Jakob, I downloaded the file and unzipped it. What app do I use to open each of the forum archive files? 

Just open any page in any browser.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationUK

Thanks Jakob!

I look forward to looking back at this particular forum era in a couple of decades and seeing how wrong I was.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 12,797 posts

Congratulations Jakob.  :cool:

Clearly, this is a more impressive achievement than winning a post count war.   :king:

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • LocationUK

You're a legend Jakob  :good:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forum, futuretimeline, shutdown, nostalgia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users