Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Could this be the future of Space Travel?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Anon01

Anon01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Here is a video I found on this subject. Hope you like it.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
thats pretty awesome

NightWolf235

NightWolf235

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSouth Brunswick, NJ
Man this is another reason why I get a bit depressed about future space travel. I really like the aesthetically pleasing ships of science fiction. The long, bulbous, asymmetrical ships were due for look a bit cluttered. But I guess the Laws of Physics don't care about aesthetics.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Man this is another reason why I get a bit depressed about future space travel. I really like the aesthetically pleasing ships of science fiction. The long, bulbous, asymmetrical ships were due for look a bit cluttered. But I guess the Laws of Physics don't care about aesthetics.

At first we had the clunky T-model as an excuse for an automobile, but we gradually evolved into the cars we see today, thanks to the evolution of technological breakthroughs over the years.

The same will apply to space transportation.
  • NightWolf235 likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I don't know, I think spaceships of today have a kind of spindly, spidery beauty about them. To me there's something captivating about how the function creates the aesthetics. In the further future, when spaceships are refined down to sleek, gunner-gray rectangles, people will look back upon our designs as people today look back upon wooden frigates of colonial days.

The reason our ships today look so threadbare is because it's expensive to get material into space, so they have to refine the ship down to its guts. If we wrapped our space machines up in metallic, jet-shaped hulls with lots of fins and wings and stuff, we wouldn't get anything done.

Maybe when we get some space elevators we can actually start making orbital refineries and factories, which would eliminate the need for sending big, clunky machines into orbit from the ground.

Then we can start caring about aesthetics.

Edited by EVanimations, 28 July 2012 - 11:31 PM.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,976 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I don't know, I think spaceships of today have a kind of spindly, spidery beauty about them. To me there's something captivating about how the function creates the aesthetics. In the further future, when spaceships are refined down to sleek, gunner-gray rectangles, people will look back upon our designs as people today look back upon wooden frigates of colonial days.

The reason our ships today look so threadbare is because it's expensive to get material into space, so they have to refine the ship down to its guts. If we wrapped our space machines up in metallic, jet-shaped hulls with lots of fins and wings and stuff, we wouldn't get anything done.

Maybe when we get some space elevators we can actually start making orbital refineries and factories, which would eliminate the need for sending big, clunky machines into orbit from the ground.

Then we can start caring about aesthetics.

The Skylon spaceplane, if it does work out, is next in the evolution of aesthetics. :prankster:
  • eacao likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
I do agree in a way with EVanimations. One of my favorite spaceships from fiction is the Venture Star from Avatar, and that has a much more modern design to it. But really, it's just a matter of taste, and though it seems unrealistic now, Raklian is right that once things get cheap enough, aesthetics will come in towards the end, just like with everything else.

But come on, this looks cool :D :

Posted Image
  • eacao likes this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,689 posts

come on, this looks cool :D :

Posted Image

Verily.

I forgot about that thing, but I remember really liking the way it looked when I saw the movie.

Also I just thought about designing a spaceship made out of classical greek architecture. Like, with corinthian columns and abacus moldings and stuff. Beautiful. I imagine building something like that would only become possible after the space elevators, though. Then things could get really showy.

Edited by EVanimations, 29 July 2012 - 01:44 AM.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,689 posts
I know you guys probably don't care but I just sketched up this sweet-looking beast in about 15 minutes.

Posted Image

The greeks would be proud. Maybe once we get past being able to cheaply and easily design spacecraft while giving full regard to aesthetics, I can see this becoming something of a flagship for humanity.

Anon01

Anon01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
I personaly like the video. It very reminds me of a game I play called X3 Terran conflict. Good game but it makes Eve Online's learning curve look easy.

Dramatism

Dramatism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
I hate to break it to you guys, but I doubt the aesthetics will matter much at all for these future, awesome spaceships. Sure they'd look awesome, I completely agree with that. But really, would that be worth the exta time, to make it look pretty? If this ship would launch and you're just someone who wants to watch it take off, you'd see the ship. But then, the people inside the ship won't see it again until,they land. And by then, they won't be interested in their ship's design.
I strive to be an apple amongst oranges.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Well you don't see the outside of your car when you drive, but it probably looks better than a Model T. The design won't be good looking until it is cheap enough, and that will be a long way off. Cosmetics always come after functionality.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

Cosmetics always come after functionality.

I think it's a well established fact that flames on the side of your space craft makes it go faster. Functional and cooler.

Gawd... buncha idiots.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Speaking of cosmetics, why do we deorbit space stations? Can't we save them for nostalgia later? The first space station ever built is burned and destroyed after being dropped from orbit into the ocean. The same fate is waiting for the ISS, maybe we could put them into a higher orbit until we can do something with them later.

Edited by SG-1, 15 August 2012 - 05:49 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
Wow, this looks really good, looks a bit around 2040-50 tech.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Speaking of cosmetics, why do we deorbit space stations? Can't we save them for nostalgia later? The first space station ever built is burned and destroyed after being dropped from orbit into the ocean.

The same fate is waiting for the ISS, maybe we could put them into a higher orbit until we can do something with them later.

I think the main worry is space junk. The more defunct space stations we leave up there, the higher the likelihood of collision or gradual breakdown over time. And this would be more than satellites. The ISS alone could do huge damage to other things in orbit if it was eventually battered down into debris by various impacts. We would be at serious risk of triggering the Kessler Syndrom.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users