Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scifi Books you recommend.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
I would like to talk to you guys about Sci-Fi books you would recommend. I finished reading Isaac Asimov's foundation and relaize that its not my cup of tea (too epic in proportions). Before that, Ive read "The Host" and while the concept was great and fascinating, the chick lit element just got in the way. Also, Im more interested in a utopian novels rather than dystopic ones (no 1984 or Brave New World). I especially like fiction that talks about a post-scarcity world in the future. Right now I am reading Robopocalypse by A. Wilson, which is like a Hal-type of AI uprising. Id probably read Minority Report and The Reality Dysfunction in the future. What would you recommend?

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

If you're into that scarcity or apocalyptic-style book, I'd highly recommend Holding their Own. It's a book about a couple in the US and their journey as the world ends from peak oil and other factors. It's not a sudden nuclear apocalypse, the world ends gradually and it makes for a good read.

im actually looking for fiction that has to do with utopic or post-scarcity themes...

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 05 August 2012 - 07:15 PM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Ender's Game - I can double that. My fav book for years. I've read it in many stages of my life, as I matured I found new things in it. Best thing I've read.
  • eacao and SG-1 like this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
I loved Ender's Game as well, but after reading it I enjoyed "Ender's Shadow" better, different perspective to the same story.

Edited by CamGoldenGun, 08 August 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I'm familiar with first 3 books of "Shadow" series, but Ender's Game still remains my favorite.
  • eacao likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Anon01

Anon01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Paris in the twentieth centruy is a pretty acurate book on what life in Paris would be like in the 1960s. It was writen in 1860s.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Neuromancer. I really like that one.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Dramatism

Dramatism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
The Across The Universe trilogy is my favorite. It my not be for you, though, as it's about two teens and there is a little romance But there's no school or anything, and it's also a murder mystery. It's about a girl awoken from stasis on a generation ship.
I strive to be an apple amongst oranges.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Battlefield Earth, it is a massive book over 1000 pages, but it's so good I read it twice. The movie was terrible, but the book is set in 3000, 1000 years after aliens destroyed most of the population to mine it. What is left of humanity is in the mountains and barely surviving when the main character goes from basically a caveman to an attempt to regain control of Earth. It is awesome.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Livid

Livid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars. The writer has fairly similar interpretations to futuretimeline.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
Ringworld by Larry Niven. He also does a detective genre series of short stories set in the near future that is an odd mix of distopian and utopian called Gil the ARM. He does most of his works in his known universe setting so pretty much anything by him connects to the elaborate mythology. So from Gill the Arm to Man-Kzin Wars to ring world and Integral trees (Integral trees was actually the first of his works I ever read, and any man that could write a novel about human colonists who colonies a amospheric cloud ecosystem around a star neutron star binary and live on the trunks of giant trees in freefall conditions, and make it Hard science based. I read more of his work and to this day he's one of my top three favs). He also has a few books worth getting N-space and Playgrounds of the Mind. These are some stories and the beginnings of novels intermixed with annecdotes, abandoned story ideas, musings (Man of steel woman of kleenex, on the issues with mating for a Kryptonian on earth, Nivens Laws, Don't throw $#!+ at and armed man - don't stand next to someone who throws $#!+ at and armed man- don't fire a laser straight at a mirror...) and about the creative process and how to write good scifi. They are awesome books.

Dune. If you saw the ninties Mini series, you got decent cliffs notes on the story but crap art and design. If you saw the 80s movie, you got awesome arts and design and a very abridged and rushed story based on Dune. If you read the book you will be amazed at the level of material that is just not easily translatable to movies.

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon [Spider Robinson]. It takes place between the sixties and ninties but it is technically scifi. and I want to find that place and know those people soooo bad.

Anne McCaffrey wrote a couple of series I liked (beside the harper hall books from pern) Tower and hive series has a focus on telepaths and telekinetics though so it's a bit softer scifi. Freedom series is decent, nothing super fantastical though still less technical. It's about humans who were taken as slave labor by an alien race and then because of crimes against their masters dropped as test settlers on an uninhabited world with that strangely seems to not be as wild as it first was, and may allow for human and aliens colonist/former slaves to see about freeing their people.

But of special intrest Would be the series starting with the Ship who sang. "The Brain & Brawn Ship series is set in the future of our universe and in McCaffrey's Federated Sentient Planets. The parents of babies with severe physical disabilities but fully developed and exceptionally talented brains may allow them to become "shell people" rather than to be euthanised. Taking that option, physical growth is stunted, the body is encapsulated in a titanium life-support shell with capacity for computer connections, and the person is raised for "one of a number of curious professions. As such, their offspring would suffer no pain, live a comfortable existence in a metal shell for several centuries, performing unusual service for Central Worlds."

Other than that I can't think of a specific title right now that fits the future and is more hard scifi, with a mostly posative story. I mean I have some that are favorites from the past (children of the atom by wilmar shiras) and some like the council wars (There will be Dragons John Ringo, to start with) where they had a post singularity world where people got into games and lead lives of leisure and curiosity and then some people seeking power caused it all to crash down, leaving folks trapped in a world where nothing more advanced than swords and crossbows is allowed to work... but there are vestiges of the post singularity around. Like dragons, and elves and AI 'golems' and homonculus. Some people were wearing non human forms. It's basically military fiction though. as the two sides form behind the factions that developed as 'gods' during the collapse. It's sort sort of scifi survivor in a fantasy setting with a 20th century military perspective.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
I don't get what people love about Ender's Game, I really don't. I thought the book was OK, but nothing more. Anyone care to elaborate? I would however second the Mars trilogy mentioned by Livid and Neuromancer mentioned by LI, although Neuromancer is not particularly utopian. I would suggest not so much the Reality Dysfunction series (although they are great books), but the Commonwealth Saga books by Peter F. Hamilton, along with the Void Trilogy. As a pre-cursor to that I would also recommend Hyperion (and the subsequent Fall of Hyperion), both great books although the first one did make me blub a bit...
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

NightWolf235

NightWolf235

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSouth Brunswick, NJ
The Hunger Games. Full series. I knew about it way before the movie came out. I had to read it for summer reading a few years ago. I got into it so much that I read it again and again. I read both sequels! It's a post-scarcity world so you would be interested.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

It's a post-scarcity world so you would be interested.

Well, but it isn't an utopian but a distopian novel. The people there, they live in miserable conditions etc., so maybe not what the threadstarter is looking for. No offense, I kind of liked it, too ;)

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
yeah ive read it, i dont think its a post-scarcity world. damn, id probably just watch the jetson's.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
I just finished reading Ready Player One by Cline. Awesome book! Exactly what I was looking for...

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 03 September 2012 - 02:51 AM.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
If you're into post scarcity, read some of the Culture novels by Iain Banks (the first one he wrote mostly takes place outside the Culture though, so you might want to skip that one). I would recommend Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Charles Sheffield, but that's probably too epic in scope for you.
  • Zeitgeist123 likes this

What difference does it make?

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
it really depends on the book. what i find uninteresting are dystopian books that is futuristic but the politics and war is similar to reading the lord of the rings but with lasers and holodeck. which is why i highly recommend Ready Player One by Cline, very good book. looking close to reality to what a future be like, mostly set in an almost full immersion VR and lots of references to 80's pop culture and games. the ultimake geek fiction. btw, thanks for the recommendation, ill be checking it out right after this.

http://www.usatoday....est-cline_n.htm

"Life is so grim in this poverty-encrusted, resource-depleted future that people spend most of their waking hours logged-on to the utopian OASIS, a free massive multiplayer game that has evolved from decades of video-game design and high-tech progress into the daily online role-playing reality for much of humanity. Anyone can live whatever life they want as their avatar inside OASIS, from getting an education and finding love to making a fortune and escaping to any of thousands of planets that range from life-like to pure fantasy, magical to Star Wars tech.

Few novels set up an engaging plot as fast as this one. In the first three pages, Cline cleverly lures readers into the crux of the story. The brilliant, reclusive, multi-billionaire James Halliday, universally known as the creative genius behind OASIS, has died and left as his will a worldwide contest. Hidden in OASIS's endless virtual worlds is a treasure. First to find it becomes Halliday's sole heir, gaining his fortune and control of OASIS. Yet, after several years of searching OASIS for Halliday's "Easter egg," as it's called, hundreds of thousands of egg hunters ("gunters") have made no progress.[/background]

In its charmingly odd manner, this is Willy Wonka meets The Matrix. Wade Watts, a nerdy computer-wiz high-schooler living in Oklahoma City's "stacks" (ghettos), is the story's narrator and unlikely hero determined to win Halliday's contest. After years of unsuccessful searching, Wade solves the first of several riddles and breaks open "The Hunt." As the contest's front-runner, he gains instant global respect, new friends and deadly enemies.

Adding cultural context is Halliday's obsession with '80s pop culture. OASIS brims with '80s references, icons, trivia and nostalgia — Pac-man, WarGames, Zork, Duran Duran, AC/DC, Rush, Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Dungeons & Dragons, anime. So does the entire novel, which in its quirky way is fun."

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 03 September 2012 - 03:05 AM.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
I know it's probably been discussed elsewhere already, but I just today finished the Mars Trilogy. Easily three of my favorite books of any genre. I highly recommend it to everyone on this forum. Now I'm moving on to 2312.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Now I'm moving on to 2312.

2312 is good, but it can be dense in some parts. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it can turn some people away.

What difference does it make?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users