Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scifi Books you recommend.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
So I've just finished reading Existence by David Brin, a worthwhile read although it's a little all over the place at times with the plot and jumps around with characters and timeline. Certainly a lot of stuff mentioned here makes it into the book, including AR, AI, smart-mobs, space travel, medical advances, world politics etc. Of course the ultimate plot takes a new look on the Fermi Paradox, meshing it with ideas from Kurzweil to Von Neumann, with a multitude of other names thrown in the hat along the way.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I know the perfect Culture novel for you. It's called Excession. It partly takes place in the Culture itself so you might like it.
  • Zeitgeist123 and bee14ish like this

What difference does it make?

BM-91

BM-91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
If i could reccomend one book it would be this one.
Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
Posted Image
It's a collection of short stories, all based around the collapse of civilization or the end of the world! (a great read for when your feeling down! :biggrin:)
  • Tumaini12 likes this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

I know the perfect Culture novel for you. It's called Excession. It partly takes place in the Culture itself so you might like it.

so my kindle fire just arrived last week. ive got the whole culture novels in it now, though i havent read it yet 'cause im still reading stanley's mars trilogy.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 16 October 2012 - 07:38 AM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

I tried reading a couple of the culture novels a few years back but could never quite get into them for some reason, maybe now is another chance to do so...
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

so my kindle fire just arrived last week. ive got the whole culture novels in it now, though i havent read it yet 'cause im still reading stanley's mars trilogy.

Cool! Be warned though, the first Culture novel that was published (Consider Phlebas) is pretty depressing and mostly takes place outside of the Culture.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
alright. id probably start at excession like you recommend. :)

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
The Commonwealth Saga (Starting with the book Pandora's Star) by Peter F Hamilton is quite good, dealing with an advanced human civlisation in which people live indefinitely thanks to memory transfer/cloning and get around their interplanetary colonies via wormholes that link planets directly rather than using FTL spaceships. The saga deals with humanity encountering a very alien species and the conflict that ensues.

In AD 2329, humanity has colonised over four hundred planets, all of them interlinked by wormholes. With Earth at its centre, the Intersolar Commonwealth now occupies a sphere of space approximately four hundred light years across.When an astronomer on the outermost world of Gralmond, observes a star 2000 light years distant - and then a neighbouring one - vanish, it is time for the Commonwealth to discover what happened to them. For what if their disappearance indicates some kind of galactic conflict? Since a conventional wormhole cannot be used to reach these vanished stars, for the first time humans need to build a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance. But it arrives to find each 'vanished' star encased in a giant force field -- and within one of them resides a massive alien civilisation.

~Jon

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'd second the Commonwealth saga but I actually found the void trilogy which is a sequel to be even better! Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
Never heard of the Commonwealth Saga but already I'm very interested. I'll definitely check it out!
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
yeah the commonwealth saga looks interesting. im done with red mars, only the second half was exciting. still reading green mars, it doesnt seem to pique my interest. id probably skip it for the meantime and start reading the culture novels.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth
Even though someone already mentioned it, The Culture. It's awesome, I wish I could live in it, I'd pick that society over this one in a heartbeat. http://en.wikipedia....iki/The_Culture
Oh, and did I mention, they have the most badass ship names. I've also read the Xeelee Sequence and Manifold Series by Stephen Baxter. Check him out.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've also read the Xeelee Sequence and Manifold Series by Stephen Baxter. Check him out.

Neither are very rosy. This person is looking for stuff that's less depressing.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That's OK: How to Survive the Economic Collapse and Be Happy

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B009R93JR6

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

I've also read the Xeelee Sequence and Manifold Series by Stephen Baxter. Check him out.

Neither are very rosy. This person is looking for stuff that's less depressing.

They're very poetic though.

Tumaini12

Tumaini12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK
Harry Turtledove's WorldWar & Colonization series - alternate history sci-fi, in which aliens invade Earth during World War II, forcing the Allies & Axis powers to unite against them.

JG Ballard's classic vision of extreme global warming, The Drowned World.

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr, a grand sweep of post-holocaust history.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Fiasco (Stanislaw Lem) - a damn great book. It kicks off slowly, has some too far digressions, but it gets better and better. Very depressing vision of contact with aliens. Beautiful language, well thought out, with lot of attention to details (and we're talking about something from 1986). And great thing is, that it could be made into a fantastic, intelligent and exciting SF movie with low costs. Despite set pieces for spaceship, scenes in space shouldn't be too expensive (while they would be huge and spectacular). I'm quite sure it could be done with budget far lower than District 9 for example. Writing script for this would be really simple. Yet it wouldn't be for mainstream audiences, given how it ends.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Tumaini12

Tumaini12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK
Sounds interesting, I'll try to find an e-copy.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Actually you've just reminded me of a book The Sparrow by Mary doria Russell - great book about a Jesuit priest coming into contact with an alien civilisation but again not the happiest of books. Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
Tumaini12, on 23 Nov 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:
Harry Turtledove's WorldWar & Colonization series - alternate history sci-fi, in which aliens invade Earth during World War II, forcing the Allies & Axis powers to unite against them.

JG Ballard's classic vision of extreme global warming, The Drowned World.

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr, a grand sweep of post-holocaust history.

Hmm, I was looking at Turtledove's wiki page just now, May buy some of these books after Christmas with my xmas dosh. He looks like a good Sci-Fi author.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users