Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mars colonization (Mars One, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, MarsDrive, Mars Direct)

Mars Mars colonization Mars One SpaceX Virgin Galactic Mars Direct

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I'm almost sure Mars regolith is very much like the one on Moon.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Speak of the devil - I once thought about something like that:

http://techland.time...z-1-space-suit/

Posted Image
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

NightWolf235

NightWolf235

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSouth Brunswick, NJ
What would the actual colony be? A biodome that allows for Earth like activities underneath? Connected capsules? Gravity wheel? Underground base? Buried habitats?

Edited by NightWolf235, 02 November 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
First it would be connected capsules. Then dome or underground thingy. Since I've learned on forum it's possible to give good screening for radiation, dome seems very realistic. Or maybe even more feasible than buried habitats.
  • NightWolf235 likes this

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Perhaps in the long term, but in the short term it likely to be cheaper to dig tunnels, less equipment would need to be moved to Mars, although the cot of reinforcing tunnels would hardly be cheap.. The tunnels would make it easier to sustain heat, protect from UV and require much smaller areas to be sealed off.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
If you can 3-d print elements for dome from local materials, then iit will be lot cheaper and easier than infrastructure for digging and securing tunnels. Also digging would be likie changing surface capsules into underground capsules.

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
If you are using plastics it may be possible to just print out the domes, however if metals are required we don't currently have the tech, afaik. We could of course just bring flat pack domes, lightweight aluminium frames, then printable domes. I cannot imagine carbon is to hard to get a hold of.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

however if metals are required we don't currently have the tech, afaik.

Actually, we do.

https://en.wikipedia...on_beam_melting

What difference does it make?

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Huh, now that's interesting, I love this website. Womder of it would be possible to print stuff in space, you already have a vacuum and its not like the dust would blow away. It could make asteroid mining interesting, build the products then launch them at the planet you want to deliver to!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Huh, now that's interesting, I love this website. Womder of it would be possible to print stuff in space, you already have a vacuum and its not like the dust would blow away. It could make asteroid mining interesting, build the products then launch them at the planet you want to deliver to!

There's one company that's working on space based 3D printers.

http://madeinspace.us/

What difference does it make?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
My Mars prediction -The United states won't send a manned mission to Mars earlier than 2040. I'll be over 54 and I somehow doubt we will do it alone.

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
The days of NASA being the solo space company are essentially dead, when the EU gts out of this huge economic slump I would predict a much larger space programme from the ESA. Russia, China and India will also and do have booming space programmes. Mars will have to be an international venture, especially if we colonise. Last thing we need is a territorial race to Mars, we all know it would end in bloodshed.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

http://mars-one.com/...onaut-selection

Mars One Issues Requirements For 2013 Astronaut Selection

Yep, Mars One released requirements for candidates to be first people on Mars.

"Unique to all other space exploration endeavors before it, Mars One is opening the astronaut program to anyone on planet Earth that meets the base criteria. It is not necessary to have military training nor experience in flying aircraft nor even a science degree. It is most important that each applicant be intelligent, in good mental and physical health, and be willing to dedicate eight years to training and learning before making the journey to his or her new home on Mars."

"While the exact upper limits have not yet been determined, the lower age limit for applicants to apply for the selection program will be 18 years. By the time this person would land on Mars as an astronaut, he or she would be 28 years of age."

What are the qualifications to apply?

http://mars-one.com/...ualify-to-apply

How will the astronaut selection proceed?

http://mars-one.com/...nauts-be-chosen

Edited by Craven, 08 January 2013 - 06:09 PM.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I would have never imagined to see this recruitment ad for a trip to Mars! Especially early at this age!

That's, of course, as long this whole thing is really legit. Maybe it is but may just crumble right at the end before the launch.

EDIT: I just read the qualifications required to be an astronaut to Mars; one thing stands out - anyone who is over 18 years old is eligible. LMAO!

Edited by Raklian, 08 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Yeah. I have no idea if Mars One will manage to do it, but in case they do I'll try to remember when it started. That less than month when this world was supposed to end (yet again) story of new world was about to begin :)

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

anyone gonna apply?  I am legit considering it.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I don think I'd fit. Do they send fatso's in space? :)

I guess there's hard chance for being in first missions. But to be among first 80,000 colonists? Why not.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I can't go cuz I have so much to do on Earth first... As interesting Mars is, it is still a wasteland at the present time.

I'll go when the time is right - probably a time when people routinely go to Mars just like we routinely go to our vacation places like Florida, etc.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

There are two sides to me, I really want to go to Mars.  I have always thought being an Astronaut would be awesome.  I took a career aptitude test and the best fit job was Astronaut lol.

Anyway, on that extremely small chance that I made it - then I would probably never go back to Earth.  I'd love to go, but I have family and what about a wife?  Forget about that.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm quite happy on Earth thanks! ^^

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mars, Mars colonization, Mars One, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, Mars Direct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users