Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mars colonization (Mars One, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, MarsDrive, Mars Direct)

Mars Mars colonization Mars One SpaceX Virgin Galactic Mars Direct

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

SG-1 what if you can bring your wife? :)

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Pretty unlikely. Unless people came in later when space travel was cheap. Do you think those colonists would be on mars for the rest of their lives?

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

That's the point. And main reason why Mars One plan is deemed realistic. Bringing people back from Mars is a huge challenge. We have whole infrastructure here to launch stuff into space. But to send something back you need more than twice as much fuel for return trip, you need spacecraft that can achieve mars escape velocity... It's way easier to just send humans one way.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Should bring some cows, although they would have to be farmed in rather a small area... as the domes get bigger more cows! Release the methane onto the planet, may as well get started with the atmosphere.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

What if there are some bacteria still living on Mars?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
What if there are some bacteria still living on Mars?

Then we'll be ruining their habitat, as humans do best.

Of course, since the bacteria would have been evolved for living a meager existence on a frigid desert world and not much else, I think the chances of it infecting humans are very small. There's always the possibility though, and if they are able to infect humans I imagine that alien bacteria is probably REALLY NASTY. Since the martian lifeforms would be completely strange to the immune system, I could see some unpleasant effects emerging from this bacteria infection.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I wouldn't think they could infect slimy, wet creatures with 36,6'C body temperature.

But we are capable of messing with their habitat. Unless only things alive there are deep beneath ground, then it would take us some time to mess with them.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
That's the point. And main reason why Mars One plan is deemed realistic. Bringing people back from Mars is a huge challenge. We have whole infrastructure here to launch stuff into space. But to send something back you need more than twice as much fuel for return trip, you need spacecraft that can achieve mars escape velocity... It's way easier to just send humans one way.

You could take fuel as supplies, and over time just build up enough for a trip.  They are sending pods and other materials that will be needed.  Mars is also a smaller planet so escape velocity should be smaller right?

I do think they could come back.. but, it would be more than 10 years probably.  They are colonists so does that mean they want the population to increase.  Are these people going to start a country eventually or what.  What is their reason for going?  Science?  Or is it just to send them and then they just sit there and live pointless lives?

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Well after giving it a thought yeah... Grasshopper could be perfect for Mars return vessel.

Still 6 months there. 6 months back. Who knows how many years on Mars. Reconvalescence after that (Mars has 1/3 Earth's gravity) would take a loong time.

Edited by Craven, 10 January 2013 - 09:29 PM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Hope for even faster transit:

http://www.theregist...fast_mars_trip/

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I'm pretty ignorant regarding this topic, or space travel in general.

But from what I've read, travelling and colonising Mars has severe health risks right now, ignoring the psychological harm that such an endeavour would likely cause.

Increased radiation, gravity related muscle and bone deterioration, lack of supplies.

I understand that you can't put off such exploration until the last minute, but why choose now; when we are on the brink of new medical technology which could radically aid those suffering from cancer, decide to start planning to send people? Would it not be smarter and safer to wait a decade for nanotech?

Or am I underestimating the adventurer's spirit/overestimating medical nanobots?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I think I've read somewhere on this forum that it's possible to make radiation shielding on Mars (possibly with 3D printers), that would be transparent to visible light, so we could raise domes like in good SF books/movies :)

Also part of why they want people to stay there is muscle/bone deterioration - it will decrease to level adequate to 0,376 of Earth's gravity. So they'll (probably) be OK on Mars, but return to Earth would probably be impossible (or make them very sick people back home). I'm quite sure that there will be much hardship for decades, but I'm very enthusiastic about this plans. I'd say we're already postponed it for 20 years too long. I mean - we will always be on brink of technical advances that will make it easier. But it's kinda like waiting with colonization of Americas for Boeings 767 ;)

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I suppose, I guess I'm just not daring enough.

I'd love the chance to be a part of colonising a new world, but the combination of the health risks and having to leave friends and family behind are too great for me to even jokingly put my name forward.

Having to rely on supplies from Earth aside, I bet the first space colonists will feel incredibly liberated and free for a time.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

You know, I'd be okay with all of this, following "everybody gotta die sometime" phrase. I would be great to take part in building new world for next generations. But I guess I've given up a little to all modern promises that my generation has a shot at mind upload and/or living forever.

If it wasn't for it then living on Mars would be great way of making some contribution to this civilisation. But who knows, maybe one day I'll go there if for example our interplanetary travel is cheap enough (for example thanks to deep space industries and planetary resources), that colonists will be getting all the cutting edge tech from Earth.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

My friend is pretty fond of sailing, likes visiting new places etc.

He's also quite a keen futurist, I think his ideal future is one where he has all tech at his disposal, with the resources and the freedom to explore the stars Star Trek style.

I kind of want to be part of his crew.

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Remember the VASIMR rocket? I remember them saying that it could go to mars in 39 days.

Yes.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Define 'simply'. One does not simply colonize Mars.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Ah, yeah, that's much simpler. Easier to duck below the dust storms than to try and stop them entirely.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Bebop is a genius piece of fiction, but it has nothing to do with realism :)

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Living in domes is a good stopgap measure, but my eventual aim would be to terraform Mars entirely.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mars, Mars colonization, Mars One, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, Mars Direct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users