Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Home 3d printing = impractical ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
I'll be honest this article annoys me, but I have to wonder if it goes against my grain because I'm the type of person it doesn't apply to and he might be right about the vast majority of people, or if he's just like the people who used to say that nobody would ever need a computer at home. http://www.extremete...-in-your-garage
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
3D printers? hell i need! Ill wait longer for 3D printer to print out meat,food,gifts.

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
It depends really, what things do you buy regularly? CD's, DVD's these are already on their way out, clothes could be useful although their complexity makes me think it will be a while unless of course we change the materials they are made of. Books are going, most items webuy are now electronic which will take a long time before they are printable. Things like furniture, toasters are bought less often but with at home printers the economic side is in building better designs so innovativly speaking we should see a boom in appliance tech.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
He doesn't make a very good argument for his views. Yes, he does sound like the people who used to say that nobody would ever need a computer at home. It will be a number of years before 3D printing is simple enough for the tech helpless to feel comfortable using them. He has also overblown the extent of 3D hype. It hasn't really begun. a short visit to Ebay is enough to show that there are plenty of people out there that live for buying useless items and 'collectibles' from their computers. They would be a natural market for 3D printing.

Edited by UFG, 17 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada
Stupid argument. I'm sure that computers, the internet, any many other things were all thought to once be impractical to a common folk.

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
There is nothing you can do with 2D printer while you only can read at the content,3D printers? Million ways to use it!

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,608 posts
  • LocationLondon

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
10 years from now 3-d printers will be as normal as 2-d ones are today. A large percentage of our toys, parts and tools will be made this way... They will find away to charge you to download the information before you can print.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,608 posts
  • LocationLondon

They will find away to charge you to download the information before you can print.

And just like music and video files, people will find a way to circumvent those charges. Sites like Pirate Bay will have millions of 3D objects downloadable for free.

This will cause major copyright/legal issues and could decimate manufacturing industries around the globe. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course, if it brings us closer to the Singularity...

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
I can't wait for 3d printing machine to come out but I am glad I dont work at lego or warhammer lol

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina
I really don't need one, think I'm kind of a minimalist and always get rid of things I don't use very frequently. But I think people will do amazing stuff with 3D printers, and once they reach a technical stage that you can print things with a lot of various materials and colors they will be of high practical use. Though, don't know will we ever be able to print our next smartphone or something like that. If yes, everyone will have one.

Edited by tornado64, 13 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I just don't like it that you need separate materials for different colors instead of ink. That will get expensive and it also limits what an object can look like. It is still a great idea, I just hope that the material becomes cheap too. It isn't much good if you can only print a little, you are not saving money you are wasting it.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
most of the 3d printers available for under 1000 US dollars today use a material that you can get for thirty or fourty US dollars and can print enough material to make the pieces for 12 or so chess sets. They are single color but I think being able to custom paint something I print is a fine way to do it. Color isn't all that important in most things I'd do with it anyway or it would be so insanely complex that it'd be easier to control and do by hand. Making wall switch covers and drawer knobs are easy first steps, game pieces and simple tools for crafts. I'd likely use it for prototype jewelry designs and inventions. maybe make a few artsy pieces with it. little bit and things around the house: key holder, wall hooks for hanging things like scarves and Kitchen tools. Some novelty and decorative things for the house. Hard wallet designs. As time goes by they will improve and I can increase what I can make with them. But eventually I want to see it get to the level of being able to print clothing and foods. Once we can print clothing and food, as well as simple tools and decorative items, it's a complete game changer.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users