Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

30 of your Britishisms used by Americans

UK US Canada

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland, The Celtic Federation, 15th September, 2245 C.E.

The Magazine's recent article about the Britishisation of American English prompted readers to respond with examples of their own - here are 30 British words and phrases that you've noticed being used in the US and Canada.

Autumn, n. The season between summer and winter. "'Autumn' is being used a lot more now instead of 'fall'." Alan, New York, US

Bloody, adj. and adv. An intensifier: absolute, downright, utter. Sometimes in a negative sense. "There have been several instances where I've heard the term 'bloody' in regular conversation. I understand the urge to say it in certain situations, but I react with a jolt when I hear it. It just seems so... indecent. The use of 'bloody', in my view, is iconically British. When Americans try to use it, I think they're trying to sound like Michael Caine. I feel it's a deliberate contrivance to associate themselves with some perceived prestige in sounding British. Some Americans think that by saying 'bloody' everybody will assume that they have four more IQ points than everyone else. It's understandable. And completely true." Marshall McCorcle, Dallas, Texas, US

Bum, n. The buttocks or posteriors (slang). "I have seen an increasing use of 'bum' for a person's backside here, both from local friends and from Americans on the web. While I am still perfectly fine with sitting on my butt, everyone else is getting all fancy talking about their bums." Jim Boyd, Des Moines, Iowa, US

Chav, n. Pejorative term to express young person who displays loutish behaviour, sometimes with connotations of low social status. "The word 'chav' is starting to catch on in the US, thanks to YouTube videos. I overheard someone say, 'Nah I'm not buying those sneakers man, they are so chavvy' at a sports retailer." Jeff Bagshaw, US

"Chav is becoming rather noticeable as a few Americans understand that not 'all British people are posh'. Boston/Cambridge is rife with international college students, so it may just be a blip, but I've heard it in a suburban grocery store in reference to some hooligans outside the store." Elaine Ashton, Lexington, Massachusetts, US

Cheeky, adj. Insolent or audacious in address; coolly impudent or presuming. "I have loved using the word cheeky for about 10 years now." Daniel Greene, Phoenix, Arizona, US

"Sometimes the British expression just says it better. I particularly like 'cheeky monkey'." G Griffin, Wethersfield, Connecticut, US

Cheers, sentence substitute. A drinking toast, goodbye, or thanks. "I am hearing people say goodbye to each other with the British 'cheers'. Since I have always had a fondness for the Brits and things British, I enjoy hearing it instead of the worn out 'later' or 'see ya later'. Like it or not, the Yanks and the Brits are cousins, and that's that. Cheers!" Paul Phillips, Marblehead, US

"Use of the word 'cheers' in place of 'thank you' is on the rise, perhaps among young people who have spent time with British people." Roddy McCalley, Joshua Tree, California, US

Fancy, v. With reference to fondness or liking. "Our US friends really enjoyed fancied, as in 'she fancied him', and an item, as in 'are you two an item?'." David Fryer, Muscat, Oman

"Fancy, as in I really fancy a pint." Paul W, New York City, US
Continue reading the main story
Britishism
noun. A quality regarded as characteristic of British people, Britishness; (also, esp. in early use) pro-British influence or allegiance
Variant of Briticism - a custom, linguistic usage, or other feature peculiar to Britain or its people
Briticism in Collins Dictionary
The Britishisation of American English

Flat, n. An apartment on one floor of a building. "Just as British people are increasingly calling (particularly posh) flats 'apartments', my American friends report that property developers are now selling 'flats' in order to make them sound grander than they are." Beth, London

Frock, n. A girl's or woman's dress. "Until very recently, 'frock' only appeared in North America in British books. I first read it in the Narnia series. No-one ever said it, and no-one ever used it in print. No-one outside of readers of British literature would even have known what it meant. Now I see it in print media about fashion all the time. This just started happening in perhaps the past five years, certainly no more than 10 years." Lee Boal, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Gap year, n. A year's break taken by a student between leaving school and starting further education. "We didn't do gap years much until recently, so we didn't have our own term for it other than 'year off'. The point of language is to communicate. If a new word or term fills a - sorry - gap, then it doesn't matter where it's from." Alden O'Brien, Washington DC, US

Gobsmacked, adj. flabbergasted: struck dumb with awe or amazement. "I left the UK for the US more than 40 years ago. I first heard the word 'gobsmacked' about 10 years ago while visiting the UK. Perhaps because of the popularity of the programme Top Gear in the US, I now hear this used in the US." Duncan Connall, Rhode Island, US

"I heard President Obama use the word 'gobsmacked'. How's that for a Britishism?" Stuart Hamilton, North Vancouver, Canada

Holiday, n. A period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest, travel, or recreation. "As a child I read Enid Blyton, and as an adult I was pleased to notice, at least in advertising, the use of the word 'holiday' to replace the less preferable, in my opinion, 'vacation'." Vicki Siska, Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Innit, adv. A contraction of isn't it? Used to invite agreement with a statement. "I can't stop saying 'innit' - it's the perfect sort of ('sort of' in this usage is also a popular Britishism) ending to an informal declarative statement." Carolyn, Las Vegas, US

Kit, n. A collection of personal effects or necessities. "I've noticed the adoption of the British term 'kit' for what athletes wear, in the place of what we Americans would generally call a 'uniform' or 'gear'. I notice it among those who follow tennis closely. People will refer to a player's 'kit', which often changes several times a year depending on the surface." Ana Mitric, Richmond, Virginia, US

Knickers, n. An undergarment for women covering the lower trunk and sometimes the thighs and having separate legs or leg-holes. "My American friend just recently said 'I got my knickers in quite a twist'. I was amazed she didn't say 'panties'." Nadine, Seattle, Washington, US

Loo, n. An informal word for lavatory. "Many of my friends now call the restroom 'the loo', although they haven't converted to saying 'loo-roll' - it's still toilet paper. Funny, since most of us won't say 'toilet' for the American 'bathroom'." Heather Revanna, Colorado, US

Mate, n. A friend, usually of the same sex: often used between males in direct address. "It seems that Yanks enjoy English swear words but I don't believe British people are using typical Americanisms. I've never heard a Englishman say 'dude' but I am hearing Americans say 'mate'. I also don't believe British people are so overtly conscious of foreign influence as much as Americans care to be, especially in the Midwest." Paul Knight-Kirby, Rockford, Illinois, US

Mobile, n. Short for mobile phone; a portable telephone that works by means of a cellular radio system ('cellphone' or 'cell' in standard American English). "I think the use of 'mobile' is a consequence of more international travel and wanting to be understood. I use mobile while elsewhere and it is creeping into my US-based language as well." Stuart Friedman, Middlesex, Vermont, US

Muppet, n. A stupid person; from the name for the puppets used in the TV programme The Muppet Show. "I am a Brit living in Idaho. One of the biggest Britishisms I see, and have helped perpetuate, is the term 'muppets' to refer to brainless individuals. I love this term as it conjures images of the loveable Muppets but in reference to a person it definitely conveys a lack of intelligence or substandard education. In this state there are plenty of 'muppets'." George Hemmings, Idaho, US

Numpty, n. A stupid person. "I have heard 'numpty' many times in the last few years. I get the impression that our American interpretation is more good-natured than it might be in the UK. It's used when calling a friend a numpty when he does or says something silly. Perhaps this is because there is a 'cuteness' to the pronunciation of the word." Jeffrey Timmons, Mayville, Wisconsin, US

Pop over, v. Come by for a visit. "Recently, I've heard the phrase 'pop over' used by several different people. ('Why don't I just pop over and pick them up?')." Susan Moore, Indio, California, US

Proper, adj. Appropriate or suited for some purpose. "I picked up the British use of 'proper' (as in 'a proper breakfast') while completing graduate work at Oxford in the mid-2000s. I hadn't realised just how prevalent it was in my own speech until a coworker asked me this year if it was a North Dakota thing, as that is the state where I grew up. It's definitely not a North Dakota thing." Jacquelyn Bengfort, Washington, DC, US

Queue, n. and v. A line of people, vehicles, etc, waiting for something. "In the 'queue'. More online forms and automated voice responses to banking transactions say 'queue' instead of 'line'. I'm guessing that it makes more sense to use it because people aren't actually standing in a line if they're on the phone." Guy Hait, Chesterfield, Michigan, US

"When I was in New York and waiting with an American friend to get into a bar, I called it a queue. She told me that in the US it was called a line. However, she commented that 'queue' was becoming more common because of the use of the term 'printer queue' in computing." David, Worcester

Roundabout, n. A road junction in which traffic streams circulate around a central island. "'Roundabout' is the official word used to describe the traffic circle that was recently completed in our rather small city. Many feel that this sounds pretentious. I am originally from California where we used the term 'traffic circle'." Beth, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, US

Row, n. and v. A noisy or violent argument, a quarrel with someone. "My husband and I often use the word 'row', most likely because we've heard it so often on public television. We think of it as a very common word among the Brits (like 'bloody') and we both assumed that most other people would recognise both the word and its meaning. Recently, my husband (who is very Southern and not bookish at all) used 'row' in a conversation with a buddy, only to learn that the friend had never even heard the word. We were astonished." Catherine Graves, Georgia, US

Shag, v. To copulate with. "You guys missed the best one. 'Shag' is such a brilliant word and Brits cringe because of the vulgarity of it, while Americans don't realise exactly how rude it is and run around saying it like a toddler repeating Daddy's accidental swear word slip. I love it when you guys cringe over us picking up your words." Leona, Oxford

"Thanks to Austin Powers, many Americans are familiar with the word 'shag', but don't seem to realise how truly coarse it is. It's used in polite society, and used to shock me, but now I accept the fact that usage differs in UK/US." Linda Michelini, Port Orange, Florida, US

Skint, adj. Penniless, broke. "To hear terms like 'skint' for being broke, 'agony aunt' for opinion columnists, or 'yobbo' for upstart children has surprised me. Such words would never have been heard in this part of the world until only two or three years ago. There are only minor UK and Irish ex-pat communities over here, so to have this sudden and growing use of Britishisms is a linguist's delight." Anthony Hughes, Omaha, US

Sussed, v. To work or figure out; to investigate, to discover the truth about (a person or thing). "My favourite Britishism has to be 'sussed' - 'I finally sussed out what he was talking about', 'leave them alone, they'll suss it out on their own'. I use it a lot and I always seem to have to explain it to people, then a few days on, I'll hear them using it and explaining it. It's a word/phrase that gets used often in my close circle of friends now." Bonnie Lee, Portland, Oregon, US

Twit, n. A fool; a stupid or ineffectual person. "It seems to me the word 'twit' - a Britishism heard on Monty Python - is being used more frequently here in the US." Rachel Newstead, Appleton, Wisconsin, US

Wonky, adj. Shaky or unsteady. "Some Britishisms that I have used include 'wonky', 'bung', and 'snarky'. They're fun, innit? It's hard for me to notice hearing these words in the US, because I talk to so many Brits online, so they sound normal now." Anne E, Pittsburgh, US

Definitions from the Oxford English and Collins Dictionaries.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19929249

By the looks of it Americans use more British words than they do American words, What do members think?

Edited by Time_Traveller, 18 October 2012 - 08:11 AM.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
We are spreading! I had no idea the US called roundabouts traffic circles, it sounds so wrong..

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
All part of globalization and the Internet age, it works both ways... dude.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
I'm Canadian so these were a little more mainstream here before the U.S. but I didn't think Autumn and Holiday were exclusively Britishisms... I thought Autumn was the "proper" way of saying that particular season. Holiday and vacation I've always used almost interchangeably, the only exception is if it's a national holiday you wouldn't say vacation.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

We are spreading! I had no idea the US called roundabouts traffic circles, it sounds so wrong..

I've only heard that once, but a lot of those words I don't use. Do British people really get mad when they hear a British person using American words? To me that sounds ridiculous because I don't get upset when I hear people say British things; but, when I hear trousers, amongst, whom and whilst I laugh a little. I don't mean any disrespect from that though haha.

EDIT: I can't wait until non-English countries start to adapt the language as their own or when words from different languages are adopted into others. It is inevitable that one language will be used eventually. It will take a while, but it will happen someday.

Edited by SG-1, 18 October 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
To a certain extent, what with the huge influx of American media people worry about national identity being lost, especially while growing up its often more common to hear words such as elevator or airplane used instead of lift and aeroplane as much of the television we watch is American. Using American words such as butt or douchebag are very common and you hear few complaints its mostly directed toward words being simply swapped for the American counterpart. Personally I do twitch slightly when I hear people from home use elevator or airplane but there is little point fighting it, it's the natural evolution of language, that said i will complain vehemently when someone uses Aluminum,, it's an internationally recognised element you cannot just use something else! I am currently living with a Canadian and while playing a gam yesterday I heard him say "Tally-Ho motherfuckers", which I thought was a superb mix and I shall be using from now on. To my knowledge English is the most widely spoken second language in the world and the language of business, Chinese and to a slightly lesser extent Spanish are very widely spoken as well, however the difficulty of learning Chinese makes me think that in the end English or some variety thereof will become the worlds language

Edited by demo, 18 October 2012 - 09:36 PM.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
Forsooth, this be rather hip to me jive. I rather diggify this radical, newfangled amerislang; it's posilutely smashing! Perhaps I'll spell "colors" like "colours" someday!
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I had a teacher who spelled color like colour in the 3rd grade. As an impressionable little jerk I took her habit and I sometimes still use colour when I write it without thinking.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,136 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
Our family is american since at least the civil war. many of these have been used by generations of use who are not living now. Autumn, always have used it. Our family tends to use it. Bloody, had a camp councilor from london when I was smaller, picked it up that summer. I think it helped that I could say it and most folks couldn't call me out for swearing, lol. Bum, not so much. It tends to be something toddlers use. Chav, nope. We only have redneck, white trash, gangsta wannabe, and dregs. Cheeky, Grammy used to say I was a bit cheeky. I don't use it much. I favor Snarky, but that's because I'm so dam good at being snarky. lol Cheers, nope.Nor do I proclaim the name of a breakfast cereal on parting with others. :D Fancy, I have used this but it's been in my vocabulary so long I've not the slightest from whence it came. Flat, nope all our structures are three dimensional (four if you count time). Frock, nope I tend to think it was mixed or jumbled with smock as something of labor clothing or something a child might wear during arts and cafts to keep their clothes clean. Gap year never even heard it before, and considering the folks I know in other english speaking countries I'm surprised. Is it common usage? Gobsmacked my family has always used it. Granpa used it often, along with other words that I consider quaint like balderdash, and boondoggle. Holiday, Holiday has always meant a holy day. Vacations had to be more than a week long, days off are just days off. Innit, this is just lazy speaking. not so much borrowing another term. Kit, only found this one when working with prop makers and model geeks online. Knickers, knew it as a kid, rarely use it. It sounds more snotty then panties in a bind, or britches in a bunch, so it's a special reserved term. Loo, skip skip skip to the loo. Lol yes I giggled to this idea as a young child. Mate, I think I started using this in my eighth year of schooling based on a cartoon Aussie with a bad accent. Mobile, not round these parts. They are cell phones. Muppet, mostly used as a fond if deminutive term. Maybe we give our muppets a bit more fondness and a bit less disparagment. Numpty, never heard it before. Pop over,All my family and much of my home town use that. Proper, how the hell is that considered just a british saying. I can'y think of any other word to use in it's place very often. Not proper language, dressed properly, do a proper job of it... seriously is this really one of them? Queue, nope. maybe it's the spelling of it, It's rather like banana where you have to look twice to see if there are too many na in it. Roundabout traffic circles work best here. and people can tell you roundabout where you might find one. Row, family uses it from time to time. Mainly as a way of not suggesting that it was a confrontation and that the whole thing was just a wash and nobody can really figure out where it started and where it ended, just that it all happened. Shag is an ugly form of carpettiing used mostly in the seventies. My bedroom for much of my teens had lime green shag, and my sisters room had pale 'ice' blue shag. The house also came with avacado colored woodstoves and fridge. Skint, makes me think of skin flint, but nope not used round here. Sussed, family has used that a great deal. Twit, really, we use that all the time. Wonky, also something I've used since I could talk. But I have more fun giggling at the words that get misunderstood. It is funny to talk about going out in pants and a vest to a fancy dinner party. Or talking about somebodies fanny. Or telling folks about all the old guys wearing socks and thongs around town. These are awesome, full stop (period) Some that always threw me were: Lorry, and skip. I'm sure there are others I'm aware of but have forgotten.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
I got laughed at once (not in a mocking way) for calling our fire service the fire brigade, apparently it sounds I've the top and dramatic. Perhaps it's just me but I quite want an ott response if there is a chance my house is burning down. We once had 4 fire engines crammed onto a tiny lane due to an electric fire on the side of our neighbours house.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,136 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

... that said i will complain vehemently when someone uses Aluminum,, it's an internationally recognised element you cannot just use something else!

http://www.grammarph...-aluminium.html
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
I get where it came from but we don't call iron ferrum anymore or potassium Kalium, gold Aurum, silver Argentium. There is a reason for having globally recognised terms for things, it reduces confusion. Every country calls a Raven Corvus corax, if one country starts releasing papers using different names everything goes tits up, fortunately many papers are starting to use the international name over the common name.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
Some of these things I have never heard before, while others seem like they have been around for well over twenty years.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
You know how you learn a new word and you hear it the next day a lot? Well after this thread I had a substitute today I had never seen before and he was from northern England. I have no idea what he was doing here in Arkansas but it was a pretty big coincidence. I think there may be something to this phenomenon. I always hear the word I learned the day before more than usual the next day. Maybe I just subconsciously listen for it? lol

Edited by SG-1, 20 October 2012 - 03:10 AM.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
Well with the internet things spread very quickly. So it is actually possible someone can say something on like youtube, and people start talking about it, then like tweet it and suddenly people are saying it a day later. Things can spread quickly.

Demo

Demo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Has the word smug reached the US yet? Its a very dilute version of fuck or shit, for example; that guy is a smeg head, or this is smeging annoying.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I thought smug was just to describe a bad attitude, I've never heard those uses.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
In the U.S. the word "smug" pretty much describes someone who's way too full of himself/herself. ie. "You arrogant bastard, wipe that smug expression off your face before I physically harm it off. You think you're hot shit, huh, tough guy?" I do remember seeing the word "smeg head" from an episode of Eddsworld. I think Matt was wearing it on a hat and I remember wondering what that meant, was it like alcohol or something...? R.I.P. Edd Gould btw.
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
Only ever heard the use of "smeg" in red Dwarf, pretty sure they invented it.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland, The Celtic Federation, 15th September, 2245 C.E.

In the U.S. the word "smug" pretty much describes someone who's way too full of himself/herself.

ie. "You arrogant bastard, wipe that smug expression off your face before I physically harm it off. You think you're hot shit, huh, tough guy?"

I do remember seeing the word "smeg head" from an episode of Eddsworld. I think Matt was wearing it on a hat and I remember wondering what that meant, was it like alcohol or something...? R.I.P. Edd Gould btw.

Only ever heard the use of "smeg" in red Dwarf, pretty sure they invented it.

My brother and now me use the word smeg head when we're annoyed with someone.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UK, US, Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users