Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When do you think these events of space technology will come true?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
1# Skylon/space plane that can take off from runway to orbit. -I'd say 2023? 2# Single body renewable ship that can be used from earth to moon and back again. -I'd say 2025 3# First planetary space ship. One that can carry humans from earth to Mars like the movie "mission to mars". -I'd say 2040 4# First ship made to go the outer planets -2080 5# First ship to leave solar system -2280 6# Base on the moon -2035 7# Base on Mars -2050 8# Settlement on the moon 2060 9# Settlement on Mars 2090 10# Space elevator 2060 11# Warp drive 2150 Some guesses on when these things will happen.

Edited by Matthew, 16 November 2012 - 10:36 AM.

skiier4384

skiier4384

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
I'm pretty much in agreement with you, but I gave slightly different dates.

1# Skylon/space plane that can take off from runway to orbit.

2# Single body renewable ship that can be used from earth to moon and back again.

3# First planetary space ship. One that can carry humans from earth to Mars like the movie "mission to mars".

4# First ship made to go the outer planets

5# First ship to leave solar system

6# Base on the moon

7# Base on Mars

8# Settlement on the moon

9# Settlement on Mars

10# Space elevator

11# Warp drive
  • eacao likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
1# Will be done by the ESA 2# Likely china or maybe Russia 3# China 4# A combined ship that is mostly by China, Russia and India 5# same All the rest will be done in the same. America is finished as a space power.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

11# Warp drive

I think warp drive will be feasible way before 2400. The expontential growth of technological breakthroughs will make sure of that. Remember, once an AI is advanced enough, it can solve problems in matter of minutes whereas it would take us thousands of years to figure it out.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
1# Skylon/space plane that can take off from runway to orbit. - We have the technology to do it now, it's just a matter of increasing the number of people per plane. Right now it's one, maybe two people can get into the upper atmosphere and if we wanted to launch into space, we could just strap some rockets under the wings and bingo we're in space. To get a plane that holds multiple people to do this will likely be 2025. 2# Single body renewable ship that can be used from earth to moon and back again. - 2025 (probably the same plane stated in #1). 3# First planetary space ship. One that can carry humans from earth to Mars like the movie "mission to mars". - They're trying to get a mission by 2030, so I say around 2035 this will happen. 4# First ship made to go the outer planets - once you have a ship that can go from planet to planet, you can just increase the capacity so you can go to farther planets. Likely around 2060. When we start mining asteroids it would be easier to go to a Jupiter station then back to earth for resupply. 5# First ship to leave solar system - 2170 6# Base on the moon - 2030. In conjecture with #2, it will have to have a place to land. 7# Base on Mars - 2040. The first mission might be a scouting mission for a base location. 8# Settlement on the moon - 2045. After the base has been established, it would be more feasible to have people living there than ship them back and forth. 9# Settlement on Mars - 2055. Same as #8, after the Mars "base" gets established, they'll likely need families there for various tasks like hydroponics, cleaning, etc. 10# Space elevator - 2040. If they're establishing a base on Mars, it will likely be cheaper to send it up the elevator and start transferring from there. 11# Warp drive - 2130. I think it might take about 50 years for us to strap this new drive on a colony ship. I don't know if it will be warp drive as we know it but it will be something that gets us to another star within several years.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
1# Skylon/space plane that can take off from runway to orbit.

Looking at the really long history of the project and the current economic difficulties in Europe, it seems to be far from certain they will be able to secure funding. If they manage to overcome these difficulties, I'd say 2020?

2# Single body renewable ship that can be used from earth to moon and back again.
Greatly depends on whether the flights to the moon have any commercial applications. I don't see it anytime soon, so I'll peg it at 2040.

3# First planetary space ship.
Again depends mostly whether it will appear strategic. If not "single body renewable" and more like one-way ticket, then maybe earlier than the previous one. But then, there are already companies working on it, including that of Elon Mask. Let's peg it at 2035.

4# First ship made to go the outer planets
Automatic? What about Voyager 2, Cassini?

5# First ship to leave solar system
What about Voyager and Pioneer?

6# Base on the moon
I believe the 1st ones will be purely robotic. If China goes there (seems to be the case), the process will greatly accelerate.

The robotic ones will be founded, I would say, around 2035.

7# Base on Mars
Might be around the same time as on the moon, around 2035, since much focus is on Mars today.

8# Settlement on the moon
Probably around 2070

9# Settlement on Mars
Around 2090, if any.

10# Space elevator
I don't think there will be a requirement for that. The infrastructure is so massive, difficult and expensive to maintain, and potentially dangerous, and I'm sure by the time it will be easy to build, more elegant solutions will be found.

11# Warp drive
If we are talking about an FTL drive and not a spacecraft (more like functional prototype), it may not take as long. I'll peg it as early as 2050 (and privately thinking it might eventuate earlier). For a summary of space propulsion systems, follow this: http://en.wikipedia....etical_methods.

Why? Judging by the ridiculously fast history of space exploration.

Early XX century: a deaf teacher in a small Russian town, Tsiolkovsky develops his equations. 1920s: first experiments, publicity after Oberth's papers, and Goddard's experiments. Still, no mainstream attention.

First serious development in a technological terra incognita: 1950s, while many mock the idea of launching satellites and manned flight. In less than 10 years (!) the mankind launches first an unmanned satellite, then a man into space, then boards the Earth's natural satellite. In 1970s, British researchers seriously explore a possibility to build an interstellar ship. In 2010, a solar sail ship is successfully deployed.

Back then, the people were highly driven by national prestige and rivalry. Today, there is that and the private initiative, which creates more alternatives for funding. There is a free exchange of ideas, more possibilities to convey and put ideas into practice, and no one will question that space exploration is feasible.

How was the science fiction at the time predicting space exploration? Stapledon's iconic First Men and Last Men (seemingly very well researched): the first space flight would have been accomplished after millions (!) of years after the human race will survive numerous catastrophes and reborn multiple times. Nuclear energy, according to Stapledon's assessment, would have been harnessed in 400 years (I think) since the World War I.

Edited by Practical Mind, 16 December 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
1# Skylon/space plane that can take off from runway to orbit. I hope it's soon. Less than 10 years would be great. 2# Single body renewable ship that can be used from earth to moon and back again. SpaceX is working on Grasshoper, but I'm really sceptic about this. It might just be inefficient way of doing it. 3# First planetary space ship. One that can carry humans from earth to Mars like the movie "mission to mars". 2030-2040 is likely after declarations by Mars One, Branson and Musk (independently). 4# First ship made to go the outer planets Voyager? Or manned? ;) If manned then maybe never, since there won't be incentive to do it. We have reasons to send people to Mars. By the time we'd be able to send humans to Europa or Titan, robotics will be so perfect, there won't be a reason to send humans along with food, oxygen and everything. 5# First ship to leave solar system Voyager did. 6# Base on the moon No idea. 7# Base on Mars See #3. If we send people there it will be to establish base. 10# Space elevator If Skylon works, then not anytime soon. Problem with elevator will not be a technical one, but political and economical one. Unless China can build it on it's own, it's unlikely sufficient international cooperation will emerge. 11# Warp drive 2150 Never. It's impossible.
  • Practical Mind likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
I don't think the United states will be doing any of this. I'm of the believe that the congress is going to defund nasa. Sick, really, really sucks!

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I don't think the United states will be doing any of this. I'm of the believe that the congress is going to defund nasa.

Sick, really, really sucks!

If NASA is defunded, they might do the same as Russia / Kazakhstan in 1990s: seek commercial applications. It will probably stop exploratory missions but is likely to boost whatever generates hype (not necessarily a bad thing).

The financial pressure may force them to look for other more efficient contractors and break the Lockheed Martin / Boeing duopoly.

BTW, regarding lunar outpost. A few interesting and not widely publicised bits from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....r_outpost_(NASA)

* did you know that Dubya in 2006 was planning a manned outpost by 2020?
* that the same thing is now being planned by Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency by 2030?

I'm pretty sure it's going to accelerate if China lands there and puts Chinese flag wherever they land. This is going to mark the beginning of the Lunar Land Grab. Whether we like it or not, greed and warfare assisted to the large share of what we call progress.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
Funny how the first thing cut is our science and tech edge. Just to keep hundreds of bases in other countries. MAKES ME SICK.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Companies and nations all fall when maintaining financial advantage is more important than maintaining technological advantage!

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon
Honestly I'm not too bothered about public sector funding of sci and tech. A lot of the key advancements we've had have come directly or indirectly from military r&d, whose budget will never be significantly cut. Lets also not forget the private sector (BMW driverless cars, verizon 10GB Internet speeds, Virgin Galactic.. etc)
  • Sciencerocks likes this

BgKnight

BgKnight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I believe the warp drive will come sooner then that, for reference:  http://io9.com/59632...irst-warp-drive

It might even come within our lifetime, if all goes fine. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users