Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What 2012 "area of technology" are you most disappointed in?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
What 2012 "area" of technology are you most disappointed in? Mine is SPACE.

The people of the 1950-1960's would wonder "wth" happen to us. For us not to take advantage at all of anything outside of 100 miles outside of the earths surface isn't sane.

No space planes
No solid plans to build on the moon
No nothing outside of robots. Even this people are crying over every time I turn around. Somehow these people honestly think that there's NO wealth or useful material outside of the earth. Weird?

People of the 1950s-1960's had imagined us having outpost on the moon and Mars by now. Somehow we have lost our way. Let's be honest "space" is what you think of when you're thinking of the future!

Edited by Matthew, 20 November 2012 - 09:19 AM.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
defently medicine... i dont give so much importance to 3ds tv, super cars, super planes in 2006 i remember reading that by now we would have solved so many health problems...Angelo Vescovi, a famous italian biologist, even said that some type of cancer would be cured. Also they promised cure for arthoris, theeth, intervertebral disc regenereation. All these things didnt happen, we are just slowly moving foward..but thats it... not big progresses have been made. i guess we just have keep waiting.

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
To me the biggest disappointment is space. If we had the space tech developed and had the space industry going we would have access to massive hoards of mineral wealth and future sources of energy. The oil wars that the western powers are engaged in will never have had to happen. Massive number of jobs would have created and economy will have to grow loads before it goes bust. Most nations will become wealthier instead of just a handful since humanity will have access to more and more resources. Lastly we wouldn't descend to such mediocrity that we have today and there wouldn't be people running around unemployed having spent their money on a useless arts degree, since people will actually have a reason and WANT to go to school and learn maths, sciences and engineering.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina
For me it's also space, since the moon landing there was hardly any progess achieved in the direction of space colonization.

uJelleh

uJelleh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Probably electric vehicles and solar technology. We're STILL USING GAS....PATHETIC. Absolutely pathetic. If you've seen the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car" you'll understand. Glad Tesla Motors is finally doing something about it with their Model S.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
Space..it's just a continuous lag that seems to never end. We did get a new rover on Mars which is exciting in it's own respect but otherwise it's been quiet and slow with no real ambitious plans unfortunately.

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
I'm going to be a little different here and say, after a bit of thought, that I'm most unhappy with city planning and infrastructure. Sure I'm disappointed with the lack of space travel advancements, but I think a more immediate priority is to set our sights on making better cities. We need to focus on expanding upward and downward as opposed to outward. Suburban sprawl, streets, and traditional farming are becoming quite a problem, destroying ecosystems and threatening biodiversity. Also, there's a lot of potential for digital integration into cities that I've never seen. Vertical farming is especially behind... we've had the capability to make it happen for a while but we're only starting to put out the first ones. How stupid is it that we have entire populations of millions that are dependent on food that has to be imported? Pretty stupid.
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin
I'm going to go with Italian and say medicine. The reason I may be so disappointed in this may be the fact that medical advances are what initially sparkled my interest in future developments because they seemed so hopeful and also, just on the horizon. The thing is that this kind of thinking is far too simple and naive. I know that (now). Still, as it was the first area I was really interested in and had (still have, actually) huge hopes in it, it is what creates the greatest amount of disappointment.

Edited by Lily, 20 November 2012 - 07:23 PM.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,688 posts
  • LocationLondon
This would make a good poll for our homepage. :)

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
I'm not disappointed in space because tbh i never really expected much. For the gvt to justify (obviously US) spending all that money on a program which is not seen as a priority in this time of economic hardship, is hard. No matter how much we all want them to. I am most disappointed in the lack of development in the energy department. I agree with Jellah, in that we use gas STILL. Do people not realise that we are SCREWING up our planet? Yeah we do, its just that most people don't give a shit, putting it off for tomorrow. I sure hope the technology base of the future is great enough for us to cope.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
I do not understand why people think space doesn't have the resources to supply everything we used getting there? Honestly??? I agree with EVanimations as I believe that this planet doesn't have the resources to pull humanity up to where it should be.

Edited by Matthew, 21 November 2012 - 12:43 AM.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth
Space, medicine, and energy.

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
lol, baffled that people would say they are more disappointed in things other than space, cos the technologies used in space tech finds its way to everyday uses in everyday life. For example take the communication between 2 computers. It was a necessary development to make since you needed computer at mission control to talk with computers on board the space craft. This little invention gave birth to what we call the INTERNET. Space tech will also impact medicine (allowing microbes and viruses to evolve faster in space thus being able find out new pathogens before they appear on earth), energy (massive loads of He3 available in gas giants to be used in fusion reactors), city planning and resource management (tech and methods developed to build and manage space stations and inevitable for efficient uses of very limited resources will have MASSIVE uses back on earth) etc.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
I'd say that the MOST important area in all of space is how little we're spending on creating Skylon(A2) like technology. I mean there's(One) a small private company in Britain currently making it work. Something that can take off as a plane and go into orbit over and over again is worth its value in pure gold. Why the hell does the government not develop a smaller 7 man space plane in this concept is a shame. Building a rocket that is used once is a waste.

This is an outrage. We should be doing everything in our power to make it cheaper to get into space.

Edited by Matthew, 24 November 2012 - 05:41 AM.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
1# Not that I disagree with medical being a disappointment. I'd love to see a cure for cancer, heart disease and at least a means to slow down aging within the next 20 years. I'm going to be angry if not. 2# As I said that space plane is something I want to see within the next 10-15 years. Knowing economics I wouldn't count on any plantery like space ship being built before 2030. 3# Intelligent robot. One that can do science and advance science is something I'd love to see. Too bad they're not developing it.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
I'll be angry if we don't have a reusable space plane by 2030. One that can do these things.... -Be reusable -Take off as an airplane and go into orbit -Much cheaper than rockets -Can carry 5-7 people I'll likely die bitter if this doesn't happen.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada
My biggest disappointment of the year? Tough one.

While I can understand why space and medicine can both be disappointing we have had our successes too this year Curiosity (AMAZING) and Cassini still doing good work, and New Horizons on it's way to Pluto so I can't really complain, sure we may not have a definite date to go back to the Moon or Mars but overall we can't scratch out this year for it. Medicine too we have had several moves towards an HIV cure this year, gene therapies finally began after Europe approved them for human use, and there was also some breakthroughs towards having more readily accessible radioisotopes for cancer and cardiovascular disease treatments thanks to some engineering breakthroughs with cyclotrons. So while this year was perhaps was not as spectacular as hoped for those two areas they still have successes none the less.

I'm going to have to give my biggest thumbs down to... *drum roll*... nuclear energy. Probably the second year in a row I would have to give this distinction too. I'm a big proponent of nuclear energy and do believe that it could play a big role in sustainable future if it was greatly improved. However, countries are scaling back nuclear research or shutting down their domestic nuclear power programs entirely. Technology and research in this area seems to be running aground and we have had no new major efforts, and therefore no new breakthroughs to dealing with nuclear waste, increasing efficiency, making plants safer. With all this negative publicity the industry is literally being forced into life support and while it has tons of potential I'm worried that disinterest in fission energy could ultimately affect the pursuit of fusion energy too. Not been a good year for nuclear technology, nuclear science, or nuclear energy. Could cost a lot of jobs too, and frankly we have to go back to more unclean coal and gas technologies in nuclear's place which will certainly harm the environment and increase our global emissions. Sorry, nuclear is the single biggest disappointment this year for the second year running.
  • Sciencerocks likes this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
ebooks and ebook reader. i was expecting that the price of books will go down if paper is not used, publising using less resources and skipping the middleman. turns out the price is pretty much the same, sometimes even pricier than the hardbound ones. and if its cheaper, it's only about 1 or 2 dollars cheap than a regular book. it makes my post-scarcity fantasy grim and depressing.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 26 November 2012 - 07:52 AM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

ebooks and ebook reader. i was expecting that the price of books will go down if paper is not used, publising using less resources and skipping the middleman. turns out the price is pretty much the same, sometimes even pricier than the hardbound ones. and if its cheaper, it's only about 1 or 2 dollars cheap than a regular book. it makes my post-scarcity fantasy grim and depressing.

I'm also disappointed with the fact that online college cost as much if not more. Seriously, I'm thinking??? Any way to suck you dry.
  • Zeitgeist123 likes this

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
online college and all that nonsense are just that, a nonsensical joke. Just go to khan academy or edX or coursera which provides university level education for free. The only problem is the accreditation and certification is not available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users