Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When might these technologies become reality?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
1. Clothing that offers absolute, 100% protection against hot weather and cold. (By 'protection' I mean in terms of comfort, not actual safety.) I know that there's many articles of clothing such as jackets and gloves that protect against the cold, but even with thick layers of clothing freezing weather is often penetrating enough to make me tremble and shiver, and there's no equivalent brand of clothing at all to make a person feel cool under intense heat. FutureTimeline mentions clothes with special properties arising by the late 2030s, such as clothing with geckolike properties that allows people to stick to vertical surfaces ala Spiderman. It would be great if there was some manner of nanotech clothing that's able to make someone feel a perfectly comfortable temperature no matter what their surroundings. 2. The ability to reliably cure someone's fears or phobias, whether through medicine or physically altering the brain through some manner of surgery. Current treatments such as exposure therapy aren't nearly as concrete or reliable, and they're often incredibly expensive to boot... I wish I could take some medicine for my arachnophobia and have it cured, it's no fun being deathly terrified of one of the most common creatures on the planet.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I like the idea of curing phobias using technology. I assume it would require an understanding of how emotions are linked to perceptions, and somehow disrupting that association in the brain. Maybe with nanobots altering neural patterns? Anything psychological is physiological as well. Call me a reductionist, but if you can manipulate the parts, you can manipulate the whole.
  • Casey likes this

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
Thats a good point. If I had to guess it would likely be 2025. 2030's seems a bit late to me. In any case would it not be the nanobots rather than the clothes that would give you that comfortable feeling. The nanobots inside you could make you feel comfortable no matter outside temperatures (or what clothes you wear) But isn't that dangerous? I thought the whole reason we felt cold was for our own safety. If that got overridden, we could die of a heatstroke without eve realizing.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I would assume they just keep us warm, not trick us

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

But isn't that dangerous? I thought the whole reason we felt cold was for our own safety. If that got overridden, we could die of a heatstroke without eve realizing.

We could design so that the nanobots as a whole is more intelligent and efficient than the part of our brain that regulates our response and sensitivity to temperatures.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063
As sectors like materials technology continue to experience exponential growth we'll start to see high-end clothing made out of material that will regulate body temperature. We have things like this right now: http://www.fastcodes...cools-in-summer but creative competition will produce cheaper, more efficient and more stylish designs... I could see "smart" clothing that could change the shape, thickness, or heat transparency of your shirt based on localized measurements of your body temperature. Expensive/high end models: ~2017-2020. Ubiquitous and affordable: ~2027-2030

2. The ability to reliably cure someone's fears or phobias, whether through medicine or physically altering the brain through some manner of surgery.

I also like the idea of curing phobias directly. How about curing addictions? God, how great would it be if quitting smoking was EASY?
Humanity's destiny is infinity

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

1. Clothing that offers absolute, 100% protection against hot weather and cold. (By 'protection' I mean in terms of comfort, not actual safety.) I know that there's many articles of clothing such as jackets and gloves that protect against the cold, but even with thick layers of clothing freezing weather is often penetrating enough to make me tremble and shiver, and there's no equivalent brand of clothing at all to make a person feel cool under intense heat. FutureTimeline mentions clothes with special properties arising by the late 2030s, such as clothing with geckolike properties that allows people to stick to vertical surfaces ala Spiderman. It would be great if there was some manner of nanotech clothing that's able to make someone feel a perfectly comfortable temperature no matter what their surroundings.

2. The ability to reliably cure someone's fears or phobias, whether through medicine or physically altering the brain through some manner of surgery. Current treatments such as exposure therapy aren't nearly as concrete or reliable, and they're often incredibly expensive to boot... I wish I could take some medicine for my arachnophobia and have it cured, it's no fun being deathly terrified of one of the most common creatures on the planet.

To answer your first question. Clothes are associated with fashion and local cultures. So while I think that we will be able to achieve clothes adjustble to various temepratures around 2030, I don't think we will see them in the market until 2050. They will have to be fashionable to become widespread. Just my thought. As for clothes with spiderslikes properties they eventually will happen. Possibly at the end of this century or in the next one. Also one should increase building securities if such clothes are put into market. Clothing with geckolike properties would be a bliss for thiefs. In any case mountain climbers would love them and a serious of new sport activities could be created thanks to these clothes.

To answer your second answer, exposure therapy as a pretty good success rate, but i am aware it dosent work for everyone. Bear in mind that a psycological thearapy to treat these disorders is not an easy process. it takes time to improve. We also need to understand exactly how some these type fear orginates in the brain order to propose a phaurmacetical treatment. There is only little research on that. In Europe only 3% of the population suffer of severe arachnophobia. So that dosent make phaurmacetical companies and reserch projecst to dont invenst much on a treatment.
Also for how much I respect the subjectivity of a pathology, i think there are more important medical problems to invest money on.
Moreove, remember...any kind of pills will be only a paliative. you may need to take pills all the time.
Therefore i suggest you to work your best in your brain to cure yoruself.

Also visit this site. You will find it interesting. http://www.feardrop.com/index.php

Edited by Italian Ufo, 22 November 2012 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users