Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Having kids in the future

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Ugh my ears, eh...

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

You couldn't pay me to at this point.

For starters rolling the genetic die with my genes a big F-U to any kid I'd produce, so if the time comes I'd adopt if anything.

But I'm not planning on it. I have hardly even begun my adventures and I'm in my mid thirties. If I want a kid who will be independant before I die I really should be doing it now. Not only am I not ready, I'm not willing to redirect my life to get ready.

I can be a good uncle, and I can be a good cousin once removed. and I can be a good friend to those friends that do go the parenting route.

I can have my fix for kids and get to have time off from them too.

As for legacies and leaving something for the future there are other things, better things for that. Nothing bothers me like people who think their kids are extensions of themselves and not free thinking people with dreams and desire that may not follow the course you wish to set for them.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I have good genes and I'd say I'm pretty responsible. I could also make a pretty bangin' career for myself if I try hard and network properly. 'Sall about networking.

I'm going to have kids someday, no more than 2 though because that's just enough. It goes without saying that I'll refrain from such a choice if I'm not as financially stable as I should be.

I would name one Shmoopy and the other Zorgath, Bane of the Crabeye Nebula and raise the latter to be a supervillain.

Edited by EVanimations, 31 January 2013 - 04:49 AM.

• Antevorta likes this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Username

Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

As long as sex isn't eliminated it doesn't matter to me how baby-making changes in the future.

Wait, scratch that. Let's take changing a babies' genes before it's born. I can see that causing problems. As it becomes more affordable more and more people would be creating "perfect" children. There's only a handful of "perfect" traits, so eventually genetic diversity would come to somewhat of a halt. Not good.

[Insert obligatory quote here]

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

kids will be created in few hours in the future both online that in a biological life.  just like in the Islamic Heaven

Edited by Italian Ufo, 31 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

José Andrade

José Andrade

Waiting for Immortality and FIVR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal

In my opinion, i am 20 years old, i always thought about having kids when i had around 25 until a few years ago. But since i started to know more about the future and the fact that our life spans will be much larger and maybe even indefinite i don't think i want kids before i am 35 or more.

• Italian Ufo likes this

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
In my opinion, i am 20 years old, i always thought about having kids when i had around 25 until a few years ago. But since i started to know more about the future and the fact that our life spans will be much larger and maybe even indefinite i don't think i want kids before i am 35 or more.

I may even have children much further. Imagine to give birth to your children in the far future where everything is free and easy...they will be thankful to you when  you describe the world we live now

José Andrade

José Andrade

Waiting for Immortality and FIVR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal

I may even have children much further. Imagine to give birth to your children in the far future where everything is free and easy...they will be thankful to you when  you describe the world we live now

I agree, i wish i was born later. xD

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I agree, i wish i was born later. xD

lol still I will have to be lonely for a while

FlowerofHades

FlowerofHades

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

One day, having children is something which I would love to do. I suppose I am somewhat maternal and enjoy the company of children. I love the idea of having a family to share your love with and to guide children guide through life. After all, I’d need a bunch of little minions to train to pwn at videogames lol. On a serious note, I strongly dislike the idea of “designer babies”, as mentioned on the timeline. Coming from someone with a background in Anthropology, to me diversity is one of the things which make the human species so beautiful. After all, genetic diversity is what has aided our survival up until this point and allowed for humans to persevere across much of the Earth. To create “designer babies” would be to rob humanity of diversity. As characteristics which are deemed “attractive” may be passed on, other traits which may aid with survival may never have the chance to occur.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

I don't think being selective about genes and stuff in a baby really hurts diversity overall. Everyone has a different opinion of what is attractive and I think most people will select things that they think will aid in survival of the child.

Antevorta

Antevorta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

As long as we are still able to adapt to change then we will most certainly survive. 

The future is a revolution against the present

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Agreed... being able to manipulate genes does not suggest to me that everyone would opt for the "perfect" genome--there is no such thing.  And even if they were, most of who we are comes from experience, anyway.  There's less than a gigabyte of data in our genome.  And around a million billion connections in the brain of an adult human.  Our environment still changes, and still changes us.

Let's take changing a babies' genes before it's born. I can see that causing problems. As it becomes more affordable more and more people would be creating "perfect" children. There's only a handful of "perfect" traits, so eventually genetic diversity would come to somewhat of a halt. Not good.

On a serious note, I strongly dislike the idea of “designer babies”, as mentioned on the timeline. Coming from someone with a background in Anthropology, to me diversity is one of the things which make the human species so beautiful. After all, genetic diversity is what has aided our survival up until this point and allowed for humans to persevere across much of the Earth. To create “designer babies” would be to rob humanity of diversity. As characteristics which are deemed “attractive” may be passed on, other traits which may aid with survival may never have the chance to occur.

Genetic evolution happens on timescales of hundreds of thousands of years.  We're already way past that.  It might as well stop completely; we wouldn't even notice, except maybe academically.  Our evolution happens with our memes, our language, our ideas, in real time.  Even if everyone in the world had an identical genome (and as I said, there's no perfect genome, so I don't see this happening), the world would still be a diverse place in a great many ways.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

FlowerofHades

FlowerofHades

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I worry that creating "designer babies" is to manufacture humans as a commodity. Though my concern also has to do with health. Our environment, along with bacteria, will keep on evolving and we will need to continue adapting to it. I can possibly see designer babies working if genetic diversity was still taken into consideration though. Of course, our technological advancements can assist with the survival process, but it is important to remember that we are still organic beings (for now anyway :p)

Edited by FlowerofHades, 02 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

after seeing the analysis of my genes, it really appears that I'm average or better than average in some areas of disease and carrier status. and my physicals come back from the docs office as being in really good health.

The chronic autoimmune disease that I do have is my problem, and it turns out my genes give me lower risk of developing it than the average person. I still have it however.

My sister from the same father also has an autoimmune disease. So while that's a bit of a question in my mind. Genetically speaking I'm not as bad as I expected and you could do a lot worse on the statistical average.

so now my only justification is that being a parent is a full time job, and a limiting factor on my capabilities, and a resource drain I'm ill prepared for dealing with.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063
I worry that creating "designer babies" is to manufacture humans as a commodity. Though my concern also has to do with health. Our environment, along with bacteria, will keep on evolving and we will need to continue adapting to it. I can possibly see designer babies working if genetic diversity was still taken into consideration though. Of course, our technological advancements can assist with the survival process, but it is important to remember that we are still organic beings (for now anyway :p)

I think that as our medical technology continues to improve at an accelerating rate, we will eventually outpace the evolution of bacteria and viruses.  We've already outpaced genetic evolution in other ways, but it's a continuing process

Humanity's destiny is infinity

MiowaraTomokato

MiowaraTomokato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

My fiance and I couldn't financially handle having a child at this point in time. In addition, there's 7 billion people on the Earth. Every child we have has the potential to produce more offspring, who's offspring has the potential to produce even more offspring, so on and so forth. When depression and anxiety are no longer widespread mental illnesses, then maybe I'd feel comfortable having a child.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I'm from Florida, US and personally i'd like to have kids one day; the future can be grim and things can turn out good or bad but we learn from history that things usually turn out a little in between but things work out in the long run (ofcourse its hard to relate history on what's going on with todays world, since our world is changing so rapidly and is alien to the world hundreds of years ago).

The weird thing that most people dont realize is that we as humans have become so advanced that as we go on we seperate ourselves farther and farther from nature (for example you can see this going on with nanotechnology to cure diseases that should kill you, or longetivity, etc.), what i mean by this is that we went from reproducing just for the sake of doing so, to the morality of the fact as whether or not our mate will be a good father/mother, am i ready to take on the huge responsibility of a child, am i a good enough person to raise a child right, am i too young too old, etc.

It takes some people longer than others to answer these questions; and along with lifespans going up, this causes people to decide to have kids later and later (as they become older, wiser, more responsible) . So in my opinion what you're going to see in the future is with a lifespan of maybe 120, and maybe even longer, is alot more people having children in their 40's, maybe even 50's or later. Knowing that they have a lot of time to give to their children, and they are no longer pressured by reaching an age of infertility, or an age where they feel it is too late to have children at that point. As they don't want to be a 70 year old for example, with a 18 year old child. Because when you have children at this age, you have to watch them grow up knowing that you will only get to see your child only partially developed into their full potential. (i.e. with a wife, children that are semi-grown, an established career, a nice house). maybe you'll die when your child just meets his wife, maybe before, maybe you won't get to see your grand children. it's a psychological and philosophical standpoint, and now with longetivity, we could see people having children much later than usual.

So in my opinion wait till you are ready, people will continue to have children for a long time, regardless of the technological advances that are to come; even as we get more and more advanced and seperated from nature, we still hold onto some primitive drives that are implanted in our brain. And if you don't want to have kids, that's okay too, but I imagine once you get married that either your wife will eventually nag you until you put your sperm inside her, or you guys will eventually have them just because. It'll take a very long time for people to stop having kids, long after the escape velocity of aging is broken.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Sam Spade

Sam Spade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC

At 26, I find I'm at an age where many of my friends - mainly from college - are starting to get married and have children. While I know for certain I'm nowhere near that point, I also question having kids even down the line.

On the one hand, it almost seems to be an act of cruelty to bring children into the world when we consider the very high likelihood that said world is going to get much worse before (if) it gets better.

On the other hand, every generation has challenges to face and overcome, and I've always liked the notion of being a father. At the earliest, I don't see it happening till my mid-30s, though.

• Italian Ufo likes this

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
At 26, I find I'm at an age where many of my friends - mainly from college - are starting to get married and have children. While I know for certain I'm nowhere near that point, I also question having kids even down the line.

On the one hand, it almost seems to be an act of cruelty to bring children into the world when we consider the very high likelihood that said world is going to get much worse before (if) it gets better.

On the other hand, every generation has challenges to face and overcome, and I've always liked the notion of being a father. At the earliest, I don't see it happening till my mid-30s, though.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think having kids at this juncture would be cruel in the slightest. The world is facing more than its fair share of problems (resource scarcity, economic problems, you all know the drill), but if I have kids (I've always imagined having four of them, spaced out from around 2017-2023) the world they were born into and will grow up in is, in many ways, much better than the world that I was born into.

In 1987, HIV was still a fairly new disease that many feared, that inspired a deep sense of hopelessness, that would destroy many lives in the future. In 2017, the HIV vaccine will likely be released, ensuring that the world my kids were born into will be a world with few horror stories about HIV remaining to be written.

The world I was born into was a world where every human was a slave to their genes, where bad genes were an invincible enemy that offered no hope whatsoever. The world my kids were born into is a world where gene therapy is at least a modestly developed science.

The world I was born into was a world where the primary method of finding fame was having your work (whether it be a novel, movie, whatever) published, a process that often takes many years. The world my kids will be born into is a world where thousands of people have risen to fame overnight just by posting their material on the internet.

The world I was born into was a world where other countries were more or less just an abstraction, something read about in Geography books but never touched their lives in the least. The world my kids will be born into is a world where one can easily interact with people from around the globe, where France is not 'that place my boring Geography teacher drones on about' but 'that place where a good friend of mine lives.'

The world I was born into was a considerably less tolerant one; I went to elementary school in a fairly trashy area where the word 'nigger' was the second most commonly used word after 'the' and the teachers' response to almost any bullying was invariably 'Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt.' The world my kids will be born into is far from perfect in that respect, but still a significant improvement.

I could use countless more examples, but yeah. Even if the world was an inarguably worse place, though, I don't think bringing kids into it would be unkind. My grandmother grew up during the Great Depression, but she had a loving family and formed many memories she wouldn't trade for anything. My step-grandfather's childhood mostly took place during World War II, during years where the entire world was gripped by fear and up to three percent of the entire human population died, but that didn't matter much to him because he loved the tiny farm where he grew up and the people he surrounded him. My dad, on the other hand (an early Baby Boomber born December 31st 1948), grew up during the greatest economic boom in American history, during a period where the United States basically enjoyed a spot as king of the world... but he grew up in a home where he was physically and emotionally abused on a daily basis, and told me just a few weeks ago that he doesn't have many good memories from childhood. Life isn't the state of the economy; it isn't the availability of energy sources or the amount of rainforests that exist in the world. Life is your experiences, the places you personally visit and care about, the people you share it with, and just your direct environment in general.

Edited by Casey, 26 February 2013 - 12:26 AM.

• Cody930 and StanleyAlexander like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users