Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What was the most inventive decade of technology that charged the world?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
What was the most inventive decade of technology that charged the world? I'd say 1900-1910.

-Model T(mass production of the car)
-First airplane to fly.
-Zimplin
-The first radio receiver, successfully received a radio transmission.
-Hubert Booth invents a compact and modern vacuum cleaner.
-Willis Carrier invents the air conditioner.
-Bottle-making machinery invented by Michael J. Owens.
-Benjamin Holt invents a tractor.
-Albert Einstein published the Theory of Relativity and made famous the equation, E = mc2.
-Leo Baekeland invents the first synthetic plastic called Bakelite.
-Color photography invented by Auguste and Louis Lumiere.
-The very first piloted helicopter was invented by Paul Cornu.

http://inventors.abo...a/twentieth.htm

This decade pretty much started the transformation from a horse drawn economy to a mechanical one. Not to ignore the fact that nearly every year of this decade had a mind blowing invention! You can't come close in the 2000-2009 period.

The decades between 1875-1890 and 1940-1980 easily kicked the past decade backside to the moon.

Edited by Matthew, 24 November 2012 - 08:21 PM.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

The decades between 1875-1890 and 1940-1980 easily kicked the past decade backside to the moon.

I don't quite agree with that commentary right there. The 2000s also had an enormous amount of technological advancement occur which may have been just as if not more pronounced as many of the previous decades. Whilst things like the lunar landing, nuclear bombs/energy, flight and so forth may be considered revolutionary and are undoubtedly important I still think they pale in comparison to the power of the Internet, which is really a juggernaut of complete innovation. Last decade brought us not only the widespread development of the internet, but the creation of social networks undoubtedly the most powerful kind of marketing tool and form of discourse on the planet, it made crowd-sourced science possible, it is gradually eroding away traditional universities through MOOC's, retail has largely switched to an online activity, and so forth, the amount of cultural and technological impact cannot be underestimated and the last 15 or so years may very well be the fastest period of technological/societal change in history. On top of this, we have the widespread proliferation of wireless technology, the rapid improvement of computers, the widespread introduction of optoelectronics, and so forth all of which while maybe not as romantic as devices that can take us to the moon are perhaps more important in the long run. On top of this last decade saw the Human Genome Project completed which itself was a huge advancement for humanity and it has allowed us to begin the era of new genetics and bioinformatics which is some are saying is part of the new Biology, if the 20th century was the century of Physics, than the 21st will certainly belong to Biology.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
I think we produce more and more every decade. We are about at the point where each decade we produce more than every other decade before it combined. In fact we are on that exponential growth curve at the point where we are doubling all human knowledge every few years, let alone taking an entire decade.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
That is just raw information out there. What he was talking about is discoveries and technological innovations that profoundly impact society. I think the 1940s-1950s were the biggest years for physics, as for society I think that changed the most in the 1960s. As for technological/scientific/paradigm-shifting, I would have to say the 1990s. The 2000s were 90s 2.0 when it comes to computers. It changed society a lot, people all the sudden had access to personal computers (power to run businesses and create documents), they were coming online in libraries and homes. The first iPod, laptops, cell phones got recognizable in the 1990s. The 2000s took those ideas and matured them. Sure the 2000s probably had more scientific value than any other decade (physics in the 1940s-1990s were chalk-full of discoveries in quantum mechanics, atomic and string theory in the 80s-90s), but I don't think those impacted society as a whole as much as the 1990s did, simply because that was the digital revolution and the digital world has become so meshed with our governments, schools, lives and businesses, if we stopped using anything digital society would fall in a matter of hours.

Edited by SG-1, 25 November 2012 - 06:08 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
1980s were also good for innovation

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

That is just raw information out there. What he was talking about is discoveries and technological innovations that profoundly impact society.

I think the 1940s-1950s were the biggest years for physics, as for society I think that changed the most in the 1960s.

As for technological/scientific/paradigm-shifting, I would have to say the 1990s. The 2000s were 90s 2.0 when it comes to computers. It changed society a lot, people all the sudden had access to personal computers (power to run businesses and create documents), they were coming online in libraries and homes. The first iPod, laptops, cell phones got recognizable in the 1990s. The 2000s took those ideas and matured them.

Sure the 2000s probably had more scientific value than any other decade (physics in the 1940s-1990s were chalk-full of discoveries in quantum mechanics, atomic and string theory in the 80s-90s), but I don't think those impacted society as a whole as much as the 1990s did, simply because that was the digital revolution and the digital world has become so meshed with our governments, schools, lives and businesses, if we stopped using anything digital society would fall in a matter of hours.

Pretty much agree here. On top of the 2000s, you had 9/11, the wars, and of course the bang that was the crash of 08. Technologically it was pretty good but society took a hit from all of that.

1875-1890 was nice during the second industrial revolution but in terms of society it wasn't great at all. The period started with a panic and it had 3 recessions. Society was still relatively behind and the progressive era hadn't kicked in the for US but labor was peaking in activity. The 87-88 recession was particularly bad. Zinn describes that in the People's History of the United States.

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada
I think the next 30 years are going to be dominated by Biology/Medicine and Materials Science/Electronics.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Yes, I think the 2020s will be the next 1990s, then the 2030s will follow up like the 2000s and make the technologies more mature. Especially when it comes to medical nanobots in the 2030s. With each decade the human body becomes more and more merged with technology. By the end of the 2030s and mid 2040s I think it is a safe bet to say most people will have implants and nanobots inside them. I think all of that will start in the 2020s though. Which reminds me of this thread http://www.futuretim...-cool-twenties/

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
The roaring twenties shall come again. :p
  • zen_mutiny likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users