Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

If offered the chance, would you live on Mars?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: If offered the chance, would you live on Mars? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

If offered the chance, would you live on Mars?

1. Yes (19 votes [73.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. No (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts
  • LocationLondon
Posted Image

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Nope. It would be fun, but I don't think I'd want to live there. I would go crazy knowing I could never go home, and the technology would always be behind. Laggy internet, forget about live communication or gaming.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
maybe but not permantely

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
Same as Italian Ufo. I'd miss the Earth's great outdoors after a while and go crazy being cooped up over a period of time. :p

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
If my parents are dead or I can make sure they will be taken care of and well... Yes.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada
If for a temporary amount of time, and that we could also head out and explore the surface at times. Than yes, otherwise I would get bored methinks.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

maybe but not permantely

maybe but not permantely

Maybe to visit. A few hundred years into the future when there's a million people and everything is nearly equal to earth in technology??? Then yes.

Edited by Matthew, 27 November 2012 - 02:55 AM.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
as with most everything else, I included the stipulation that if my illness was cured, to the question. Given complete health and the chance to live on Mars, I'd go. I like to think the amount of knowledge and skills I've accumulated could be very much in demand up there. The sky would be absolutely killer for telescoping. I'd feel as strong a a mythological hero in the low G. With some very basic materials I could make paintings and sculpture and write stories and novels ect. and release them on earth via the communications system sending scans and text. Heck I could probably make a movie with CG characters on real landscapes. And there would be a whole region of uninhabited planet where there are no laws and no people and no dangerous wildlife. if bored I could literally just go and throw grenades at a mountain to amuse myself Hell if I really wanted I could probably scrounge up the materials to make a primative nuke if I had the ability to get the parts I needed for a good price. Eventually a city would begin to form around us. and then one day it'd be no real difference from earth life with maybe gravity and air domes being the biggest differences.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin
Yes. Thatt is under the condition that we were no guinea-pigs but there wold be a real colony with all the things you need. So, yes, bu I'd wait until our base at Mars was advanced enough to provide for the lifestyle I am used to living here on Earth.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
I would live on Mars but not for at least a few hundred years maybe the 23-24th Centuries.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
Living on mars would be pretty cool after its been terraformed. I would not want to live there if it meant being stuck in domes though.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
Nope. It would be awesome to visit the place after it's terraformed - I would enjoy planet hopping in general, actually, ala the Phantasy Star games (if anyone here's played those) - but to me it would just be a vacation spot; Earth is my home. And in reality, I might actually just use virtual reality if I'm ever in the mood to check out another planet, and never truly leave this one.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
lol most of the posts are "Yes, but only for a while." Maybe a third option is needed in the poll. I wouldn't want to live there in domes or a Total Recall (original) scenario. I wouldn't mind living there maybe after it's been terraformed but I'll be long dead by then.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I would definitely do a telepresence experience the second this option becomes available.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Monoceros

Monoceros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAntwerp, Belgium

... And there would be a whole region of uninhabited planet where there are no laws .... if bored I could literally just go and throw grenades at a mountain to amuse myself Hell if I really wanted I could probably scrounge up the materials to make a primative nuke if I had the ability to get the parts I needed for a good price....

I really hope such people will be denied permission to land on other planets.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

... And there would be a whole region of uninhabited planet where there are no laws .... if bored I could literally just go and throw grenades at a mountain to amuse myself Hell if I really wanted I could probably scrounge up the materials to make a primative nuke if I had the ability to get the parts I needed for a good price....

I really hope such people will be denied permission to land on other planets.

Lol, it was a joke. Meant to make the point that even 3 million people on mars couldn't use up half the surface area, and the space left unused would be so big that you could literally drop a nuke and nobody would note the boom. Theres no such thing on earth, no place here on earth can you go and be so completely seperate from the rest of humanity.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Owl

Owl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMetropolis
As long as there were some sort of colony or outpost to go to, then yeah I'd consider it.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I would if I had a skill that would be useful. But my math skills are rather poor, so that rules me out from going there in the near future.

What difference does it make?

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Only if:

* the living conditions are more or less stable and there is a chance I'll stay alive for a while
* there is a chance to do some kind of research you can't do on earth (in my case, it means decoding an ancient Martian script or stone tablet :-) )

I was considering going to Antarctica once (http://www.antarctic...s-in-antarctica), but my plans changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users