• Spectral, spatial, and temporal resolution
improved by factors of 3, 4, and 5
• Lightning detection with real-time maps
of all lightning activity in the Western
• Increased dynamic range, resolution, and
sensitivity in monitoring solar X-ray flux
improves models of the ionosphere
• Real-time solar extreme ultraviolet movies
in 6 channels improves models of flares
and coronal mass ejections
• Monitoring of low energy ionizing
responsible for spacecraft charging
• Re-broadcast provides 10 times more
data than the current GOES Variable Format
ABI covers the Earth approximately 5 times faster than the current imager.
This should be part of the timeline. This is the single biggest upgrade since 1994 in meteorology in satellites.
Edited by Matthew, 28 November 2012 - 07:07 AM.