Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Goes-R satellite is going to have the biggest technological advancement since 1994

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
Goes-R is going to have the biggest technological advancement in satellite imaging since 1994. First one is launched in 2015!!!

http://www.goes-r.go...10-06-09_v7.pdf
GOES-R Capabilities
• Spectral, spatial, and temporal resolution
improved by factors of 3, 4, and 5
• Lightning detection with real-time maps
of all lightning activity in the Western
Hemisphere
• Increased dynamic range, resolution, and
sensitivity in monitoring solar X-ray flux
improves models of the ionosphere
• Real-time solar extreme ultraviolet movies
in 6 channels improves models of flares
and coronal mass ejections
• Monitoring of low energy ionizing
responsible for spacecraft charging
• Re-broadcast provides 10 times more
data than the current GOES Variable Format

ABI covers the Earth approximately 5 times faster than the current imager.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOES-R

This should be part of the timeline. This is the single biggest upgrade since 1994 in meteorology in satellites.

Edited by Matthew, 28 November 2012 - 07:07 AM.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
This is going to be mind blowing with the visible imagines! What I'd love more is for IR to be able to be able to define low level clouds(below 3-5k)

Posted Image

Visible pic of Katrina. I've seen better over the last few years to top this cake. The area like I said that needs improvement is IR.

Felix 2007-This was soildy within the 3rd geneation.
Posted Image

Edited by Matthew, 28 November 2012 - 11:23 AM.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
http://z7.invisionfr...ost&id=10894146

This is a view from the international space station. I fully expect something like this with the 4th generation!!! Zoom right in on it.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
Very nice! Glad the satellites are getting attention again. I should bring this up for discussion on Monday for met class.

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
There's three area's that need advanced 1# IR...This needs serious improvements as you can't see the lower level structure of storms as of now at night. 2# Models need a way to eline with the current motion of storms(lows, highs, etc). This can be done with a point every miles or so over a 6 hour period being ran against the model.The model can be corrected and this would do a lot to improve short term forecasting. 3# Drones...Yes, we use thousands of drones that can look at many different levels throughout the Atmosphere. Much more data. Maybe 4# Form a global system within the satellite to act as a global(satellite based) radar like Trimm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users