Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Science Fiction's One Flaw...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
...is that it very often overshot personal life- or supplanted life in the future with the one in the era it was created in- to focus on the massive achievements, such as intergalactic travel or super-futuristic cities. In reality, we have phones that are so much more powerful than '40s era computers that, if you brought even one back to that time, the very future of humanity would be altered and computing power of the day would be boosted billions of times over. Science fiction- classic science fiction at least- was too concerned with the major advancements to connect them to personal life. It offered great, relatable entertainment, but is more unrealistic than I first thought it was. Only in Star Trek would people think walkie talkies and artificially intelligent spacecraft are compatible.
  • Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
and so what?

Edited by OunknnownO, 30 November 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

and so what?

I think he is trying to generate an honest discussion. Do you agree? Disagree?

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta
I for one have a hard time really appreciating sci-fi. Like you said, walkie talkies and warp drive... dumb. I really hate that Star Wars, of all things, was the big sci-fi story of our generation. There is much better sci-fi out there.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada
Of course a Starcraft II universe is much more likely. ;)

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina
I like Science Fiction, sometimes you get really interesting views about the future from it, even from that SF that is far from realistic.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
A few other problems with science fiction 1# They don't add in economics. People were bitching about the moon missions in the 1960's-1970 s. What the hell do you think they'd feel about building a moon base??? Not to even get into building one on mars. One of the first things we should be considering is finding asteroids with tons of resources. We must make it profitable to earn the support of the people. 2# The people forecasted 2000 in 1962 never thought a thing about our society becoming safety first. That's why they put rockets on trains and jet packs. You really think that our government is going to allow this??? Somehow in 62 they thought so...lol 3# A lot of SF is based outside of Physics. The flying car would need something that is way outside of physics. The warp drive is more possible than anti-gravity. This is something to think about.

Tumaini12

Tumaini12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK

Science fiction- classic science fiction at least- was too concerned with the major advancements to connect them to personal life. It offered great, relatable entertainment, but is more unrealistic than I first thought it was.

Popular science fiction, like any fiction, is primarily written to entertain - and to turn a profit for the author. Small details of mundane life in a fictional future are simply less likely to sell books, and movie tickets, than meglamaniacal supercomputers or FTL space programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users