Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Futuristic augmentations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Pick one futuristic augmentation:

Carbon nanotube musculature
Every muscle in your body is replaced by synthetic muscle which utilizes carbon nanotube technology. Your bones are also augmented with the same technology to help keep up with the stress. You are now 50 times stronger and much faster/tougher. This new muscle is dynamic, with the ability to heal itself from damage by being linked up to your existing cardiovascular system. Your caloric needs are higher by 50 percent.

Encyclopedia drive
Your brain is augmented with a storage device using an advanced brain-computer interface. You now have encyclopedic knowledge on various subjects, such as science and history. This information is accessed by the mechanisms responsible for memory, and requires no special effort on your part; you simply know the information. However, while it grants "book" knowledge, it does NOT increase your intelligence. The drive can connect to the internet at any time to update its database.

Einstein drive
Your neocortex is augmented with nanobots that aid in synaptic firing and pattern recognition. Your IQ is now higher by 50 points.

Lazarus gland
You are surgically given a gland made from your own stem cells. This gland secretes substances which repair the ends of telomeres and clean up both inter and intra cellular "junk", thus making you age 50 percent slower.

Panacea nanobots
Your skin is seeded with tiny "nano factories" which produce disease-fighting nanobots. You are rendered immune to all diseases such an influenza, AIDS, and all types of cancer. If you currently have any such diseases you are instantly cured. This also protects from diseases not related to pathogens, such as Alzheimer's disease and neurodegenerative diseases. Tissue damage heals 50 percent faster.

Social augmentation
A neural augmentation that grants you mastery over social situations. You are able to perfectly read physical cues such as facial features in other people, and formulate the perfect response for your goals based off of personality readouts which are displayed on your retinas. You are now supremely charismatic. You are now more resistant to (but not immune to) depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses.

Discuss whether some of these may be over or under powered compared to the others.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
I think I would go with Panacea nanobots.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Why?

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
Hm, the Encyclopedia Drive seems a little underpowered. Running on an internet database, it would be susceptible to cookies and viruses, which would slow and corrupt your brain. Also it seems rather trivial, seeing as it would only really be useful in very specific fields or testing environments... but hey, you can win millions of dollars on those trivia game shows. But when people start trying to mooch and steal your money, that encyclopedic knowledge won't help much.

I'm personally torn between the Einstein Drive and the Social Augmentation. I feel like the Einstein Drive would be very cool- you could go down as a legendary philosopher or renowned scientist. However I feel like I could use the Social Augmentation to balance out my introverted personality.

Who am I kidding, I want the Einstein Drive. Besides, I'm pretty happy with my social situation anyway.

Edited by EVanimations, 04 December 2012 - 05:18 PM.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Why?

they all are very appealing. nanotube muscleture would be awesome to play some sports of the future but i think that the surrended tissues may feel some disconfort with all these forgein objects of the body. You would also need to learn how to move these new muscles.

Encyclopedia drive and Einstein drive, I am not sure yet I'd like to touch the brain or to become more intelligent. to me happiness is what realy matters not to become a living compiuter. that dosent exclude that i may augment myself in this sense in the very far future.

lazarus gland and pancrea nanobots are pretty good both of them.
but i think in case you have an injury nanobots will repair things faster. also imagine to be immune to any type of virus or bacterial diseases it would be awesome while keeping your body always young.

social augmentation is very good for psycological disorders. Since this is a very delicated moment of my life i would use it. that may help me in the short or long term. but at the same time having images in front of my eyes would give me headaches. i think many people would have some sort of side effects if social augmentation inclueds the display of images.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I think I'd go with the Lazarus gland, if for nothing else to live longer and have a better shot at getting to a point where I can get these other upgrades anyway. An extra 50 years or so of life will help me get access to technologies of the future. My second choice would be the social aug. It could help me get to some very high places and acquire wealth. I agree that the encyclopedia drive is a bit underpowered, especially when we already have wikipedia at our fingertips. I'm thinking of how I can alter it.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I would definitely pick the encyclopedia drive. Why? Even it is underpowered as other say, it will give me the know-how I need to do all the other augmentations. :) Heck, I consider it a cheat code that allows me to access all other augmentations! Lol.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,710 posts

I would definitely pick the encyclopedia drive.

Why? Even it is underpowered as other say, it will give me the know-how I need to do all the other augmentations. :) Heck, I consider it a cheat code that allows me to access all other augmentations! Lol.

Nope. You know why? Because nobody knows how to make any of these yet. All of man's current knowledge is at your disposal... but discoveries still must be made. You can learn some of the fundamental principles using the database, but you won't gain any of the skills needed for, say, constructing nanobots. You're not actually "inventing" anything, just replicating it by rote.

The Einstein Drive gives you enhanced logic, curiosity, focus, and imagination, and I would exploit the hell out of that. You bet I would immediately get to scientific research, make huge discoveries, and probably create some exceptional art on the side.

The Lazarus Gland lets you live another 50 years so you can wait for the other augmentations to come along. Why not use the Einstein Drive to help you actually perform the research needed and get a head start?

Edited by EVanimations, 04 December 2012 - 05:43 PM.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Why? Even it is underpowered as other say, it will give me the know-how I need to do all the other augmentations. :) Heck, I consider it a cheat code that allows me to access all other augmentations! Lol.

Nope. You know why? Because nobody knows how to make any of these yet. All of man's current knowledge is at your disposal... but discoveries still must be made. You can learn some of the fundamental principles using the database, but you won't gain any of the skills needed for, say, constructing nanobots. You're not actually "inventing" anything, just replicating it by rote.

The Einstein Drive gives you enhanced logic, curiosity, focus, and imagination, and I would exploit the hell out of that. You bet I would immediately get to scientific research, make huge discoveries, and probably create some exceptional art on the side.

The Lazarus Gland lets you live another 50 years so you can wait for the other augmentations to come along. Why not use the Einstein Drive to help you actually perform the research needed and get a head start?

Because you would still need time and money to get into an academic program that would open the door to do research. You would still need vast resources to do any kind of research.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The augmentations that Kombaticus listed are assumed to be available at the same time for us to pick one of them. :) He did not say these haven't been invented yet.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
These haven't been invented yet.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

These haven't been invented yet.

You used the present tense while describing the augmentations. I thought you were creating a hypothetical scenario where all of us get to pick one of the augmentations if given a choice. Or, you're just adding this after the fact? :)

If so, I'd still pick encyclopedia drive. :)

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Nope. Now you can't have any of them.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
This is tough lol I'd have to go with the Lazarus one, I don't like dying more than I like being successful.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,710 posts

You used the present tense while describing the augmentations. I thought you were creating a hypothetical scenario where all of us get to pick one of the augmentations if given a choice. Or, you're just adding this after the fact? :)

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, RAKLIAN.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
2 orders of lazarus gland and 1 panacea nanobots to go please!

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
I took this in the spirit of: If you could live in a world where one of these things existed which one would you most want to exist and why.

My answer was a hard fight between- Lazarus gland and Panacea nanobots.

Mainly the fight hinges on the unknown variable of auto immune disease. If the Panacea can shut that down for good, I have a reasonable expectation of reaching 85 years old at least based on some of my heritage. That's fifty years from now, a decade past midcentury. If we are not progressing amazingly enough by then to extend life or replace whole parts of aged bodies than I'm not sure what another fifty years will do for me.

On the other hand if the lazarus gland (really a less realistic idea than most of the others) can get me fifty years more even with my condition I could live long enough to see the cure realized and synthetic immune systems based on nano tech and tissue regrowth and replacement. So even if I only had 30 more years natural life left adding fifty to it would put me just this side of 2100. and if we haven't done half the dreamed of things by then we never will.

Ultimately it comes down to Lazarus gives me 110 years of life before anything else comes into play, if we throw in the advancment of medicine during that time to include cures for my illness it boosts my base lifespan by twenty years approximate. Throw twenty years into the 110. I can see getting a hell of a lot of use out of 130 years and I'll have been alive for the invention of the home computer industry and the first starwars movie and lived through the millenial turn over and on through a century of the new millenium. We'll see some crazy shit by then, one way or the other.

I've lived with illness long enough to know I could live with it for another hundred years provided I can either get the things I need to manage it or make them for myself (I can live on five types of veg and poultry meat near indefinately, and that's not all that hard to grow for myself). and while it puts limits on my lifestyle to a degree it would still allow me to have waaaay more time to explore what I can get out of life.

Carbon nanotube musculature came in s close second third. Simply because of being able to do things I can't do now.

Encyclopedia drive: this seems relatively useless to me. especially when conscidering that if I can get it so can others. If everybody is special than nobody is and in the end it's gotten me nothing new. whereas nanomuscles are not valuble because I want to be stronger and faster than others but because I could do things that I can't do now. So it wouldn't matter if everybody else could do it too. But encyclopedia knowledge, meh, I could look it up.

Einstein drive: I don't know that I'd much care for this one either. I'd love the rest of the population to have a bit of it. But really this doesn't amount to as much as most assume. I've known people with IQs that measure in the 140s (mine seems to wander between 128 and 135 depending on when and what test we refer to) So people with a ten to twenty IQ point lead on me and they use drugs to self medicate or lounge around doing nothing, and many of them don't bother incorporating knowledge into the equation. Sure they could logic and reason really well but they don't even know things about their world to apply their reason and logic to.

Social augmentation This really is of no use to me. I couldn't care less a if I come across as weird. I'm not awkward, I'm exactly what I should be, it just happens to be not in line with what some people want me to be... fuck 'em. This is my life and the rest of the world is just the setting and supporting cast. Just like your life is about you and the rest of the world is setting and supporting cast in your story. So I'm gonna live my life my way. If that involves building a life sized R2D2 and putting a projector, hard drive, GPS, and hacked robosapien innards in it while botting it up to follow an RFID tag in my watch on command and making the front of it open up into a small tool box: then guess what I'm gonna do? My friend says (with a fake lisp) "If this doesn't get us the girls, than nothing will." Meh, I'm not living my life to get attention from others and those that are still around me anyway are good people and we enjoy our conversations.

I do think this list needs the addition of Money and influence. Cuz most of this stuff makes a change to you on a within your own flesh sort of way. But fifty percent stronger, faster, smarter and longer lived, gets you bupkiss in the way of being known and changing the world. I have several novels in manscript form, and plans for inventions and scripts for graphic novels and movies, I've created neat works of art and can lecture on many subjects... I still stock shelves in a retail store for money and I still live in fear of a medical cost destroying my weak finances, and despite knowing things that some others don't and being creative as hell I'll never influence the study of any scientific field I explore as an amatuer. I can't afford to do these things that I imagine and I can't even get the attention of the experts with my ideas. If I had the money to get these things done myself or the influence to make them happen or a mix of the two this world would be a very different place.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Thanks for all the replies, you guys make me think twice about my own choices. Kjaggard, what do you mean by the addition of money and influence? I can see how almost all of these can lead to both. I wonder if we aren't underestimating the power of social enhancement. Imagine silver-tonging your way into powerful political offices and dealing with rich business people. The nanomuscle can make you a millionaire if you decide to become a boxer. The encyclopedia drive can make you a master at any gameshow. I'm sure anyone can find a way to make the most out of any of these. Except for Raklian, he doesn't get one.

Edited by Kombaticus, 05 December 2012 - 05:29 PM.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Except for Raklian, he doesn't get one.

Aww, how cute.

That's all right. As you can see from my avatar, I have all the augmentations I need. It comes with the beast. LOL

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have all of the augmentations listed, plus the ability to have any powers that you do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users