Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Futuristic augmentations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I have all of the augmentations listed, plus the ability to have any powers that you do.

Really? Like controlling the Force?

I didn't think so.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I can control the force, both dark and light.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon
The Lazarus gland. I was tempted to pick the Einstein drive but unless everyone close to me had it too I think it would alienate me from them

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

Social augmentation
A neural augmentation that grants you mastery over social situations. You are able to perfectly read physical cues such as facial features in other people, and formulate the perfect response for your goals based off of personality readouts which are displayed on your retinas. You are now supremely charismatic. You are now more resistant to (but not immune to) depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses.

Sorry for the size of the post. I kept it topical and coherent. I promise you can skip to the last paragraph and not miss much.

- Comparisons between similar choices
I think the Panacea nanobots would extend you to pretty much the limits of your telomere clock, where the Lazarus gland only makes that clock tick slower.
Between the two, I think Panacea nanobots is at least a bit, probably much of a better gamble on making it to a time when either is accessible to the public.

Between the encyclopedic knowledge and the Einstein drive, Einstein hands down. I think you need to be able to grapple with the knowledge you have in front of you more then just have it in front of you, that part is trivial.

- Summary of choices
So we are left with Age, Strength, Intelligence and Sociability as general choices.
You can nix strength, since that doesn't *really* help.
Age is tempting, but depending on how things unfold here in the next few decades, may be a waste.
I think it comes down to intelligence and social skills.

- My choice and why
There are a *lot* of very intelligent people in the world. It's really a matter of opportunity. Taking one fuddy-dutty (me) and making him marginally brighter wouldn't really advance society notably. It's be immensely beneficial personally but so would any of these choices.

With "master[ry] over social situations" and "perfect responce," the world would finally have a person who is able to convince and coordinate masses of people. I do not think that even the most natural people-person really has this sort of ability. We are led to believe they do in movies and the like and on night shows with scripted banter but even the likes of Obama couldn't convince you to cooperate in a task you don't feel like doing because no one fully masters body language simultaneously with "perfect response" AND a clean mental slate of their own.

The intelligence upgrades listed allows you to muddle around a bit above the other present geniuses in research. Far better personally, and for the world, to be capable of arranging people, groups and finally society with a clear set of goals and a passion to accomplish them that otherwise is lost in the rabble of disagreement.

Edited by shane_allen, 10 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
So which do you pick?

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

So which do you pick?

Well the social aug, duh . It's way powerful. You should nerf it a little.

I don't use smileys, but the duh is in jest. Why are there a trillion character smileys but no eye rolls?

Edited by shane_allen, 11 December 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

NightWolf235

NightWolf235

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSouth Brunswick, NJ
To say it quickly, Einstein Drive.

Well this could take some time. I need to write a huge explanation explaining my choice.

Aww, how cute.

That's all right. As you can see from my avatar, I have all the augmentations I need. It comes with the beast. LOL

Except that suit isn't improving your abilities, it's keeping you alive! :prankster: It's even been confirmed you were stronger before you had to get it.

Edited by NightWolf235, 11 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Bump

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Do you think that with future augmentation we can achieve a state of eternal bliss one day?

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Pick one futuristic augmentation:

Carbon nanotube musculature
Every muscle in your body is replaced by synthetic muscle which utilizes carbon nanotube technology. Your bones are also augmented with the same technology to help keep up with the stress. You are now 50 times stronger and much faster/tougher. This new muscle is dynamic, with the ability to heal itself from damage by being linked up to your existing cardiovascular system. Your caloric needs are higher by 50 percent.

Encyclopedia drive
Your brain is augmented with a storage device using an advanced brain-computer interface. You now have encyclopedic knowledge on various subjects, such as science and history. This information is accessed by the mechanisms responsible for memory, and requires no special effort on your part; you simply know the information. However, while it grants "book" knowledge, it does NOT increase your intelligence. The drive can connect to the internet at any time to update its database.

Einstein drive
Your neocortex is augmented with nanobots that aid in synaptic firing and pattern recognition. Your IQ is now higher by 50 points.

Lazarus gland
You are surgically given a gland made from your own stem cells. This gland secretes substances which repair the ends of telomeres and clean up both inter and intra cellular "junk", thus making you age 50 percent slower.

Panacea nanobots
Your skin is seeded with tiny "nano factories" which produce disease-fighting nanobots. You are rendered immune to all diseases such an influenza, AIDS, and all types of cancer. If you currently have any such diseases you are instantly cured. This also protects from diseases not related to pathogens, such as Alzheimer's disease and neurodegenerative diseases. Tissue damage heals 50 percent faster.

Social augmentation
A neural augmentation that grants you mastery over social situations. You are able to perfectly read physical cues such as facial features in other people, and formulate the perfect response for your goals based off of personality readouts which are displayed on your retinas. You are now supremely charismatic. You are now more resistant to (but not immune to) depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses.

Discuss whether some of these may be over or under powered compared to the others.

Just imagine if someone had each and everyone of those. At the same time.

Edited by bee14ish, 15 December 2012 - 10:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users