Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are we living in a computer simulation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationLondon
RE: my latest blog and the study it references.

Can someone please explain the graph on page 3 to me?

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.1847v2.pdf

i.e. what happens after 80 and 140 years?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063
It looks like the vertical bands @ 80 and 140 years represent when we'll be able to create simulations with lattice sizes of 1 micron and 1 meter, respectively.

Given the significant resources invested in determining the quan-
tum fluctuations of the fundamental fields which permeate our universe, and in calculating
nuclei from first principles (for recent works, see Refs. [4–6]), it stands to reason that future
simulation efforts will continue to extend to ever-smaller pixelations and ever-larger vol-
umes of space-time, from the femto-scale to the atomic scale, and ultimately to macroscopic
scales.

Our simulations will increase in both detail and spatial extent.
Humanity's destiny is infinity

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
The more I think about it, the more I think this theory is true.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
^ Me too.

The concept that humanity might be living in a computer simulation was discussed in a 2003 paper published in Philosophical Quarterly by Nick Bostrom, a philosophy professor at the University of Oxford. In the paper, he argued that at least one of three possibilities must be true:

• The human species is likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage.
  • Any posthuman civilisation is very unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of its evolutionary history.
  • We are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.
He also held that “the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation.”

Thinking along similar lines is what caused me to stop calling myself an atheist.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationLondon

It looks like the vertical bands @ 80 and 140 years represent when we'll be able to create simulations with lattice sizes of 1 micron and 1 meter, respectively.

In other words, by around 2160-70, we could have entire "rooms" like the Holodeck in Star Trek - perfect simulations, down to the quantum level. This would provide a level of realism not available in full-immersion VR. This will make a fascinating entry for the timeline. I could extrapolate the graph to later centuries and millenia. Perhaps in 4000 AD we'll have entire universe simulations. :)

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Ourself will become Gods of some virtual words some day. I am sure we will do this.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

This will make a fascinating entry for the timeline. I could extrapolate the graph to later centuries and millenia. Perhaps in 4000 AD we'll have entire universe simulations. :)

Definitely! Another cool consequence of increasingly detailed simulations would be in science. The experimental environment would be literally as controlled as it can be. I predict that by the time our simulations get macro-sized, not only will science experiments based on simulated environments be more common than real-life lab OR field experiments; it will also be common knowledge that simulated experiments provide much more reliable and accurate data than you'd get from an experiment in any real-world setting.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationLondon
Indeed. Plus you could run them much, much faster than real-time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users