Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Manufacturing The Future: 10 Trends To Come In 3D Printing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Once considered science fiction, the ability to do 3D printing – to produce objects on demand at relatively low cost – has become a reality. And the trend is going to pick up steam in 2013. Here’s a look at 10 trends to watch in 3D printing next year and beyond.

http://www.forbes.co...in-3d-printing/

Edited by Italian Ufo, 14 December 2012 - 07:30 AM.

• Practical Mind likes this

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
printbot Jr. solidoodle start saving folks, the day could soon be here for you to jump in. I'm planning to try for one of these in the next six months if I can make it happen.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

printbot Jr.
solidoodle

start saving folks, the day could soon be here for you to jump in. I'm planning to try for one of these in the next six months if I can make it happen.

are you serious? tell us a little bit more about it...

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
the solidoodle is ready assembled and sturdy enough to hold the weight of me standing on it while it prints. I believe it's only able to print in one of the filiment types (ABS) but it has a heated printing plate to prevent warping of the materials if you put in for the pro version which is $600 rather than $500. This looks to me to be the best option for right out of the box printing of objects and has a print area of about 150 milimeters or about six inches. Printerbot junior $375. No headed base plate, and the platform can only take sizes up 4 x 4.5x 5.5 inches (10x 11.5x 14 mm) and takes only PLA filiment. It's also some assembly required and sounds like it's still got a few bugs they work out periodically. But on the plus side it has roughly the same print resolution as solidoodle. and it far more portable, can run on battery and folds up for transport and can be upgraded to run wirelessly. and That price is a huge plus. It's larger brothers get closer to comparable to the solidoodle price without resolution to some of the compromises. looks like they don't offer that one anymore anyway. They both seem to be via preorder as they can't keep complete stocks in volumes and must make them when they have enough orders to make a run and ship them when they finish each one. I favor solidoodle because it honestly seem more finished and with less chance of bugs not to mention ready out of the box pretty much. But money wise printerbot jr can be had for less. and depending on how the money saving goes that may be important enough that it decides it for me. ultimately once I have one of them I can tinker with making things that I need for projects that I can't get at stores (it's a hurdle I hit often). But it also means I can look into printing reprap parts too and expanding my capabilities.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

the solidoodle is ready assembled and sturdy enough to hold the weight of me standing on it while it prints. I believe it's only able to print in one of the filiment types (ABS) but it has a heated printing plate to prevent warping of the materials if you put in for the pro version which is $600 rather than $500. This looks to me to be the best option for right out of the box printing of objects and has a print area of about 150 milimeters or about six inches.

Printerbot junior $375. No headed base plate, and the platform can only take sizes up 4 x 4.5x 5.5 inches (10x 11.5x 14 mm) and takes only PLA filiment. It's also some assembly required and sounds like it's still got a few bugs they work out periodically. But on the plus side it has roughly the same print resolution as solidoodle. and it far more portable, can run on battery and folds up for transport and can be upgraded to run wirelessly. and That price is a huge plus.

It's larger brothers get closer to comparable to the solidoodle price without resolution to some of the compromises. looks like they don't offer that one anymore anyway.

They both seem to be via preorder as they can't keep complete stocks in volumes and must make them when they have enough orders to make a run and ship them when they finish each one.

I favor solidoodle because it honestly seem more finished and with less chance of bugs not to mention ready out of the box pretty much.

But money wise printerbot jr can be had for less. and depending on how the money saving goes that may be important enough that it decides it for me.

ultimately once I have one of them I can tinker with making things that I need for projects that I can't get at stores (it's a hurdle I hit often). But it also means I can look into printing reprap parts too and expanding my capabilities.

You know I really admire you :)))) I am impressed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users