Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why asteroid mining is necessary

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
911 Metallurgist explains why asteroid mining is needed: many metals that underpin our modern economy are quickly being depleted.
Without any new technological advances, metals like zinc and gold are expected to run out in 100 years.

http://www.mining.co..._medium=twitter

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
We also need to learn how to live within our own means. Recycling old products to reuse metals. Maybe before the astroids are mined out we can create any element by re-arranging the electrons in atoms. That would be really hard though. I don't even know if it would be possible. If E=mc^2, does M=(C^2)/E? Does that mean we can create matter with pure energy? I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • Italian Ufo and Practical Mind like this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

We also need to learn how to live within our own means. Recycling old products to reuse metals.

Yes aboslutely, but few weeks ago a user made me think that asteroid mining is important for nanotechnology since most of nanobots are made of rare material on earth.
nanotechnlogy is fundamental for human progress.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
Efficiency will help to some degree, since tools will only use tiny amounts of the metal and still be extremely useful. For some of those metals we will probably be mining trash dumps since they are currently just thrown out, or had been in the past. We should be looking into this though, because it is extremely cool and eventually we need to and should grow to the point where we are using the entire solar systems resources to fuel our technology.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts
Humanity doesn't raise the standards for all until we do. This is how important asteroid mining will be. We're allowing 70% of humanity go without until we do...

Edited by Matthew, 15 December 2012 - 06:44 AM.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Not sure if it's cost effective, but going there will benefit the space tech in general. Also, a hundred years ago coal was a cornerstone of the world economy. Today it is not as relevant. The peak oil theory is also not relevant anymore with the shale oil.

One of the commenters said:

The decline in the Pt graph likely indicates known and proven reserves. When demand rises, geologists go looking for more and will find it, drill it, prove it and mine it. End of story. This has been the basic premise of the mining industry for centuries. It takes the perspective of a film director or computer geek to think we have to leave the planet to find the stuff.

But, having a NASA engineer at the helm might help produce useful tech.

Edited by Practical Mind, 15 December 2012 - 08:40 AM.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
We need a space elevator, and a moon base, then a mars base. Then mining asteroids are not going to seem as far fetched or as costly.
  • Sciencerocks and Practical Mind like this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I wonder when will wasteland mining become a real business.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
This could potentially also improve current tecnology (e.g. electronics), as better materials may become cheap and abundant enough for use in everyday goods as a result.

We also need to learn how to live within our own means. Recycling old products to reuse metals.

This is true. Making less wasteful products should help, aswell.

nanotechnlogy is fundamental for human progress.

Yup! I wonder when it will actualy be used for space mining, though.
Sort of a shame that the Spinhenge@Home project isn't currently active - what they did would really take nanotechnology forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users