Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I was watching some sci-fi from the 1950-1960's...They sure had some real hope for the 21st century.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
I was watching some sci-fi from the 1950-1960's...They sure had some real hope for the 21st century. -Talking robots that could figure out anything. -Robots that could do things for you and were very common within society. -Spaceships that could hold hundreds of people and go to mars. -The old star trek(weath of Koln) said that by the 1990's we would be able to freeze people and bring them back by now. -Computers that could talk to you as another human being(but far more intelligent). -A large base on the moon -Fusion -Cure for diseases and longer lifetimes Some of this is still 20 years off and yet some will take an economic reason. The base on the moon and the space ships are the with "economic reason". Can't really blame technology for those failures. Sure, we're more advanced but not as advanced as some thought.

Edited by Matthew, 17 December 2012 - 06:31 AM.

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I was watching some sci-fi from the 1950-1960's...They sure had some real hope for the 21st century.

-Talking robots that could figure out anything.
-Robots that could do things for you and were very common within society.
-Spaceships that could hold hundreds of people and go to mars.
-The old star trek(weath of Koln) said that by the 1990's we would be able to freeze people and bring them back by now.
-Computers that could talk to you as another human being(but far more intelligent).
-A large base on the moon
-Fusion
-Cure for diseases and longer lifetimes

Some of this is still 20 years off and yet some will take an economic reason. The base on the moon and the space ships are the with "economic reason". Can't really blame technology for those failures.

Sure, we're more advanced but not as advanced as some thought.

well 21st century... we got still 87-88 years to complete it. i think some of these things may be achieved within this century. but yes we are a bit late.
even me i imagined more progress by now in the late 80s early 90s.

Edited by Italian Ufo, 17 December 2012 - 07:41 AM.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

-Talking robots that could figure out anything.

what like siri? Okay I'm joking... sort of. You see they were thinking about robots because computers took up entire buildings, they had no concept of a portable computer. How would you have a portable building after all. so instead they would build mechanical bodies that would be a sort of space suit for the computer minds. We have things that are on par with thinking robots today and they get better and better every four years. I fully expect by 2020 we will have robomins that could convincingly interact with a person as a person might. They will likely be on the internet or cloud and accecible through our phones.

-Robots that could do things for you and were very common within society.

roomba can do your floors, your microwave can be programed to start cooking in an hour and your washer is programable. your phone reminds you of appointments and finds locations for you and can direct your calls. We did this one already we just parcelled it out to multiple simple machines rather then one multifunction complex machine.

-Spaceships that could hold hundreds of people and go to mars.

space we wussed out on, no argument there, but we may well still see this by end of century. That includes the moon bases too.

-The old star trek(wrath of Khan) said that by the 1990's we would be able to freeze people and bring them back by now.

well we got the freezing bit pretty well down, now it may be a few decade before it's reversable though.

-Fusion

I have a feeling that's still possible before the end of the 21st

and we did cure diseases and lifespans did increase.

The thing is we have a lot of those things and we are on the cusp of others... they just don't look the same as we expected. They aren't as flashy as we wanted.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Sure, but no one or very few in 1950s predicted:
  • global communication network where any person can easily connect anywhere
  • GPS, which is a hell of an achievement if you think about it
  • self-driving cars (soon). Even in Star Trek, flying a shuttle is too much like flying a plane in 1960s - no autopilot, let alone fully automatic mode
  • e-readers and content distribution via "cloud"
  • less glitzy but more important incremental medical advances like stem cell therapy and already existing intelligent prosthetics
In general, if you feel like checking how we're doing, I suggest going here: http://www.paleofuture.com.
  • Sciencerocks likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users