Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any of you fellow futurists getting Cryopreserved when you die?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon
Incase you don't know; The Alcor Life Extension Company cryopreserves you upon your death in the hope that technology of the future can re-animate you. I for one will (finances permiting) will definitely be doing so. Check them out: http://www.alcor.org/ http://en.wikipedia....sion_Foundation What say you?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

This is old news. Some of us knew about Alcor for years.

The question is - can you afford it, or will you?

Alcor does suggest a few life insurance agents who are willing to cover Alcor's cost for cyropreservation for a monthly premium. Not exactly cheap but better than saving enough money for a house to pay for this.

As for myself, I'm gonna wait for a bit as I am still pretty young. There may be newer, more efficient ways of cyropreservation that will be discovered in the next few decades.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

nah, when I die I die,

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

Well if I can afford it I will and if not I'll be cremated. 

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

A redneck would say there is another way that's free... "ask your family to shove you in a glacier, damn it!" :)

• Artstein likes this

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

I am waiting because I really don't have much income at the moment and going to collage still. Though it is something I want to sign up for when I can, though I hope to never have to use it.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I probably will. As one of the responsible of the Longevity Alliance (longevityalliance.org) we are at the moment trying to widespread the use of cryonics around the world. In a short term we are trying to legalize cryopreservation in many countries around the world and try to find privites or states that invest on this technology.

But there are lots of issues at stake..it is not easy to solve.

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon
This is old news. Some of us knew about Alcor for years.

The question is - can you afford it, or will you?

Alcor does suggest a few life insurance agents who are willing to cover Alcor's cost for cyropreservation for a monthly premium. Not exactly cheap but better than saving enough money for a house to pay for this.

As for myself, I'm gonna wait for a bit as I am still pretty young. There may be newer, more efficient ways of cyropreservation that will be discovered in the next few decades.

I've also known about it for a while but i've just discovered this forum. I'm only 22 but hope to be able to afford it soon.. I'm based in London so i'm not sure if we have the option of having life insurance linked with alcor, but it seems its worth looking into. I just hope a company like this is immune to the economy lol.

I am waiting because I really don't have much income at the moment and going to collage still. Though it is something I want to sign up for when I can, though I hope to never have to use it.

Same he pal i'm in my final year of uni. The pace tech is moving by the time we're 60 they may be ale to halt the aging process altogethor!

I probably will. As one of the responsible of the Longevity Alliance (longevityalliance.org) we are at the moment trying to widespread the use of cryonics around the world. In a short term we are trying to legalize cryopreservation in many countries around the world and try to find privites or states that invest on this technology.

But there are lots of issues at stake..it is not easy to solve.

Wow, sounds interesting. So is there lobbying involved?

nah, when I die I die,

Fair enough dude. It'd be cool to be able to teleport, though.

Well if I can afford it I will and if not I'll be cremated. 

Fair enough, hope you get the scratch!

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

im with time traveler on this one. however, if i die, im not really sure if id still care to go back.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Please excuse Raklian, he seems to enjoy telling people that everything is old news.  :p

I for one am in, but again, I think it is a matter of money more than just a willingness to do so.  If I die and get preserved and nobody revives me (or can't), then so what.  But there is a lot to gain for just a shot.  Question is, should I make a huge investment for just a shot?

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon
Please excuse Raklian, he seems to enjoy telling people that everything is old news.  :p

I for one am in, but again, I think it is a matter of money more than just a willingness to do so.  If I die and get preserved and nobody revives me (or can't), then so what.  But there is a lot to gain for just a shot.  Question is, should I make a huge investment for just a shot?

The upside is too huge to ignore. Like you said, if your preserved and not revived, your none the wiser. But imagine waking up in 2300..

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

[color=#ee82ee;]I got interested but I hope they will change that law that don't permit people alive to be cryopreserved,otherwise I will have to wait till 2049,2050 to get biostasis with nanomachines.[/color]

[color=#ee82ee;]If I were about to be cryopreserved I'd like to be preserved for at least 80 years.And what about you?[/color]

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

We could put in our agreement so that we are not to be revived until at least 50 patients have been successfully revived, no matter how long it will take whether it's 50 years or even 500 years.

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

of course we are lobbying. Thats the first time in human history that there is an initiative like this.

The major problem is to convince people that cryoconservation is not only fiction but something of scientific. Then some multi-millionaires will start to invest in it.

We are getting there. Some people within our group are more optimistic while others no. I would say that in about 20  years many countries will offer the chance of cryoconservation.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Another thing when I die I will be buried, it's only fair I used earth resources for decades, this is least I could do

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I'm not planning on dying :)

• Italian Ufo likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Another thing when I die I will be buried, it's only fair I used earth resources for decades, this is least I could do

Well... if you continued to live you could help aid in environmentalist efforts, which means that your living self could contribute far, far more to the planet and to nature than the simple decomposition of your corpse ever could.

Just sayin

• Italian Ufo likes this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

You'll also need to get a bio-degradable box.  Plus there isn't much use for graveyards anyway no one plants gardens in them and you won't be fossil fuel for a long time lol

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Sent you a PM, Kabe. You can read it by clicking the envelope in the menu towards the upper right of the screen.

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

If there isn't a more reliable method of preservation when I die, then I definitely intend to go down this route (as long as I have the cash of course). I want to give myself every chance of being able to exist far into the future, it's too exciting to just die out and never return!

• Italian Ufo likes this

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users