Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Human cloning could start within 50 years

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,679 posts
  • LocationLondon

Human cloning could start within 50 years insists a leading scientist whose work led to the creation of Dolly the Sheep

Heartache of losing a child could be eased, says Nobel prize-winner

Read more: http://www.dailymail...olly-Sheep.html

• Italian Ufo likes this

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

50 years? I bet they could do it in two if they didn't care about laws or ethics.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Overall I am in favour of cloning. First because it will allow us  to replace damaged organs with new ones and second because it may lead to immortality one day.

However when is about to use cloning to replace the life of a death child the idea can be both good and bad.

It can be beneficial for parents because seeing a living child with the same physicial connotations of their lost one may ease mental pain. But bear in mind that some parents ,after the first months of amazement, may also started to percive some disturbance as the new child is a different person.

I also question myself how  these new cloned children will feel ? Some will accept it with no problems while others  may feel that they were replicated just for the purpose of compensating  a lost life. In fact some cloned children may feel that the parents all they really wanted was their death child back and not the new clone of it.

Also other children may feel the "weight" of the heritage of this death kid. I wouldnt be surprised if parents or common people may have expectations on these  clones. Like  to display the same beahavioural charateristics or interests or ideas for example. I can see these children feeling to live in the shadow of someonelse and this can be harmful to them on a psychological/emotional level.

these  ethical issues must be taken into consideration.

Edited by Italian Ufo, 21 December 2012 - 10:55 PM.

• wjfox likes this

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Meh.  I wouldn't care if I found out I was a clone.  What choice did I have?  I am here, and a completely different person from the "original."  Our experiences would be different from the beginning.  Even in-vitro we would be put in different situations.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Cloning a dead child is just so freaking messed up!  It is dehumanizing, just to think that you can replace a person with something that looks similar is cold.

Not that there aren't amazing applications for cloning, but dead children is not it.

• Lily likes this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

of course it is a subjective experience, some kids may feel confortable about it while others not.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Yeah, but you can't return a living kid. 

Isn't the idea of cloning your dead son or daughter weird to you?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I don't get it to be honest. It's possible to clone humans right now. It's been possible for years, we just don't do it. And there's no reason to do it to be honest.

And cloning dead kid is just silly. It's not like bringing someone back to life.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Would cloning duplicate the person's mind or just their body? I think it would be a nice venture if both body and mind is cloned. If the body is the only thing that's cloned and their memories, relationships, and sense of identity is gone, well... that would be a tad pointless since they would be a different person in everything except the outer shell.

Edited by Casey, 21 December 2012 - 01:36 AM.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Would cloning duplicate the person's mind or just their body? I think it would be a nice venture if both body and mind is cloned. If the body is the only thing that's cloned and their memories, relationships, and sense of identity is gone, well... that would be a tad pointless since they would be a different person in everything except the outer shell.

only the body

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Ahh. Well, I don't think cloning would do a great job of helping those who lost their children then... I don't have any kids yet, but the idea of a person who looks exactly like a loved one but doesn't recognize me or possess any memories from the original would be tremendously creepy. Instead of helping me to heal, it would probably just fuck up my head even further.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Ahh. Well, I don't think cloning would do a great job of helping those who lost their children then... I don't have any kids yet, but the idea of a person who looks exactly like a loved one but doesn't recognize me or possess any memories from the original would be tremendously creepy. Instead of helping me to heal, it would probably just fuck up my head even further.

lol have you seen Artificial Inteliigence ? cloning to replace a death kid  it kind of rembers of the family of this movie who wants to replace their suspended child with one android. it is  nuts!

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I've seen it

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Yeah, but you can't return a living kid. 

Isn't the idea of cloning your dead son or daughter weird to you?

Yeah it is strange to me of course. But I may also respect who decise to clone a death child. Still I dont have a firm decision on this as it is  a questionable ethical issue. I think for how crude it sounds, the only way to find out is to start to do it when this technology is available. Then we can make studies on family relations  between parents and cloned child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users