Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Roadmap to immortality

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Fascinating PDF on current and future paths to immortality.  Please enjoy and critique.

http://mariakonovale...rtality_eng.pdf

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I agree it's quite fascinating.

My only critique is that the developments aren't pegged to specific dates and they also aren't backed by references to actual research being done.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

^ The dates are represented by the rings around the "immortality" center, so each specific technology fits within a 5-year estimation.  You're right about the lack of references, though.  Maybe they should develop a webpage version where each prediction is a citation link.

My criticism is on the "reducing the exogenous causes of death" arm.  There are several dubious predictions in that one, for example: "murder-free countries" by 2025-2030 and "disarmament with the aim of complete demilitarization" by 2035.  As Raklian pointed out, there's no references, so we have no idea what developments would lead to these bold predictions.

• EpochSix likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

It looks like it's more projection of ideas based on a linear model (and I mean that in the sense of one thing following another not as a comparison to exponential growth).

Each prediction seems to be primarrily based on 'because that's the next step, and not because of any cross pollination of up coming enabling tech.

I will say that they do seem to grasp accelerating returns rather well. In some sense better than I do, mainly because I often find myself thinking in terms of decades for things because that's the experience I'm used to, but things are getting faster which enables them to get faster still.

But at the same time I think some of it is likely more about when the first partially successful lab experiment will happen in these feilds and not when will these be available to us.

• Casey and StanleyAlexander like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users