Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you smoke?

cancer addiction medical nanotechnology health singularity gene therapy

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I've been smoking on and off for 10 years.  It's an awful habit, but as you may have heard, it's hard to quit.

I've justified it in the past by expressing my confidence that cancer will be cured before I develop it (I'm only 28), but meanwhile I smell like an ash tray and my senses of taste and smell aren't what they once were.  I float back and forth between not caring to quit, wanting to quit badly enough to go a month without a cigarette, and wanting to quit but not badly enough to be successful.

Do you smoke?  Why?  Do you want to quit?  Why or why not?  Do you think we will cure cancer soon via gene therapy or nanotechnology?  How about curing nicotine addiction, or addiction in general, via neural-nanobot interfaces?

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Kombaticus

Kombaticus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Man Stanley, I understand perfectly.  I quit cold turkey for the new year...let me tell you, that wasn't the best idea.  While I actually haven't smoked more than a cigarette or two, I took up chewing tobacco...not just dip or snus, but fucking RED MAN.  At first I said, "I'll just buy one pack of it to ease into not smoking..."

Three packs later, and I'm thinking of buying a spittoon.  I noticed that having a devoted hobby really helps me when trying to quit...I don't chew it even half as much when I'm concentrating on something.  Find yourself a devoted hobby or start gaming, those things have really worked for me.  Mostly my habit is supported by boredom.

Good luck man, I feel ya...just please don't use the promise of POSSIBLE cancer cures in the future as a reason to smoke.  There are more reasons than cancer to quit, and we don't know when these treatments will come.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and I am content." -Conan the Cimmerian

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I don't smoke - not because of my fear of developing cancer but was acutely aware how revolting cigarettes smell and taste. I felt it was my body's way of informing me smoking these was something I shouldn't do.

I did dabble in marijuana during college on and off. College was a stressful environment for me (all that studying and pressing deadlines for huge papers and projects) so I needed a way to "de-stress."

Completely quit after I graduated. I was able to quit because my fear of dying before my time was too great for me to keep doing it. Perhaps, Kombaticus and Stanley, you could try enhance the fear of dying to stopping your habits. What's your biggest fear? Make it more significant than it really is and use it destroy this habit. 

Edited by Raklian, 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.

I don't smoke and never did i think it's a nasty habit and can cut your life in half.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

EpochSix

EpochSix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I smoke salvia divinorum and marijuana on occasion but I never caught on to cigarettes. I smoke the occasional cigar at parties when they're offered to me but I've never purchased any and don't plan on it for obvious physical / financial reasons.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I never had an intrest for it. As a young boy I was thought that smoking was bad and if I smoke I turned into a bad boy. My parents thought me this and I always had respect for their teachings even when I became a teenager and many were smoking around me.

Furthermore, I liked to compare my body to a nation and I visualize smoke as levels of pollution of my country/body. So I was proud to say that I never even had a cigaretts...that could have make my country/body admirable.

I also played competitive sports in the young sector of a rugby pro-team and I know smoke would have affected my performances.

Some of my team mated did smoke and they couldnt resist running as much as I could.

Until I was in my early 20s I never give a single blow to a cigarette but I decided to give a  try when 24. I even try few joints then behind the car parking of an amusment park and sometimes when I was wiith my friends at night I smoke few joints.

In total in life I  only smoke about 1 cigaretts and 8 joints.  Thats it but I dont like neither of them.

I like to stay smoke free.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Never smoked myself and don't plan to. And it is indeed hard. My father quit cold turkey a little over 3 years ago and hasn't gone back since although it was a rough few months for him. Felt bad since his mood got pretty screwed up and he started gaining weight for a bit. All the alternatives weren't really working from the gum to the patches and he wasn't a fan of the electronic cigarettes. 

After seeing both my grandmother's be taken by lung cancer is kinda suck in with us. My brother and sister both attempted it and stopped quickly after being scolded. My uncle has also just recently quit as well. 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales
I smoke salvia divinorum and marijuana on occasion but I never caught on to cigarettes. I smoke the occasional cigar at parties when they're offered to me but I've never purchased any and don't plan on it for obvious physical / financial reasons.

Same here. Hate cigarettes, I'll very rarely have one if I'm unbelievably drunk and everyone else is smoking them, but that's like 2-3 times a year. My only "smoking" is in the form of shisha (apple flavour yum!) or the occasional bit of weed.

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ

I smoke as way to deal with the headaches that space engineering seems to give me (or so I believed) . Smoking got out of hand and became a  nasty habit that will kill me slowly. I expect at the rate tech in the medical field is going they should have cancer beat in around thirty years. 

Thirty years also seems to be the time cancer starts to develop or show among smokers, and so relying on cure may be cutting it close. though addiction is a beast that will likely be tamed sooner than later. I know the head of a research firm (that I ironically met at a cigar shop) that deals with neurological based diseases using small machines to direct chemicals , and an addiction cure is one they expect to surprise people with by 2016. Quitting needs to happen anyway, but I hope the cure my friend is working on pans out.

Omega point or extinction.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

^ Me too, that's what I was waiting to hear!  Yes, you will be addiction free in four years. :)

As a performing musician, it's damn near impossible to get away from cigarettes for long.  That's the one real obstacle in my road to a non-smoking lifestyle.  At least you can't smoke indoors in most states over here anymore.

Thanks for the words everyone, and if you haven't bought a pack yet, don't do it.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Deus Ragno

Deus Ragno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorway

I do smoke. I don't have any intention of stopping. I enjoy it. Keep in mind, I'm not stupid enough to think I could quit easily at this point in any case, But that doesn't really matter since I never really wanted too in the first place.

Edited by Deus Ragno, 04 February 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

ive succesfully quit smoking 2 years ago (after several attempts at quitting btw). i also tried quitting cold turkey and it went well for a while (5 months), then one day i got stressed out from work, went back to smoking 1 cig a month, which turned to 1 per week, to 1 per day, to 1 per 2 hours, then start quitting again. these attempts happened multiple times until finally i bought an e-cigarette and started vaping instead. just after a few months, i sucessfully quit smoking entirely and never craved or think about it cigarettes at all. after sometime, ive also stopped vaping as frequently until i barely vape at all. the smoking and craving for nicotine is totally gone and never thought of coming back at it anymore, almost as if ive never tried smoking before. PS. ive smoked marijuana and meth during my younger years but smoking cigarette is the only thing that i got addicted with, (thankfully). with that said, i am curious about salvia. unfortunately, its illegal in my area. (not that mj and meth are legal lolz, but i dont think anyone deals salvia around here)

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 04 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • LocationCanada

Nope, I'm also asthmatic and therefore absolutely cannot stand smoking lol.

José Andrade

José Andrade

Waiting for Immortality and FIVR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal

I don't smoke, waste of money, bad for your health and the ones around you and smelly.

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

I know that I have an addictive personality, and thus, smoking would very likely end up being an addiction for me, too.

When I was younger and around all the kids that thought smoking cigs was cool and stuff, my asthma prevented me from every trying it out. I was so miserable even without putting my lungs under this, I didn't feel the need to look what it would feel like if I smoked. Nowadays, I just stay away from them for reasons like cancer, and overall health.

So, no, I have never touched a cigarette in my life, and I hope I won't start now.

Edited by Lily, 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

claire34

claire34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I am also smoking but i am using now a http://www.xn--shktu...fi/]sähkösavuke[/url] or electronic cigarette.Yes you're right it is really hard on quitting on smoking even you do have an motivation and inspiration and it is because of your surrounding that telling you to smoke.

Edited by claire34, 18 February 2013 - 06:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cancer, addiction, medical, nanotechnology, health, singularity, gene therapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users