Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Flying Houses and Islands

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Do you think in the future we can have houses or islands flying in the skies? It seems science fiction at this time but I think such a technology would add an incredible beauty to our world. To dont talk about the pratical side of this technology when applied to smaller objects. I was watching a commercial of the late 80s early 90s and an humanoide husband and wife wanted to take a picture of themself togheter but no one was around, so they pressed a botton and the camera remained suspended in the air while taking pictures of the two. Anyway, do you think such technology would ever be possible? and when? what are the possible solutions to create such technology by using a bit of immagination?

Posted Image

http://i783.photobuc...81239058377.jpg

Posted Image

http://suptg.thisisn...04053210610.jpg

Posted Image

Edited by Italian Ufo, 09 February 2013 - 07:47 AM.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Thats the commercial I was talking about

Also imagine to live in a house like this but with a lot of more natural beauty around it

Posted Image

http://www.nohrin.co...pict/3d/sky.jpg

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

anyone read the futuristic novels from iain banks, i like his idea of asteroids constructed both as an extremely large ship and a terraformed satellite/planetoid. these terraformed asteroids can be as small as titanic/airports/megamalls or as big as the moon or earth, but it is independent from orbiting any sun/stars.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 09 February 2013 - 09:25 AM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

http://www.dvice.com...lativity-engine

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

Wow this is incredible. Hope this works.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

It seems it violates conservation of momentum. So I'd be extremally sceptical.

As for flying hoses and islands - if it's possible it would be a terrible waste of energy.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

that would be awesome

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

As for flying hoses and islands - if it's possible it would be a terrible waste of energy.

The only way out for this problem is find another source of energy or to make it indefinite. this may happen centuries from now but as for now I am very  skeptical

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,214 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

As for flying houses and islands - if it's possible it would be a terrible waste of energy.

Yeah I don't think this reactionless drive is real, but the idea is kind of cool.

I don't know, it depends on the level of energy needed. They say gravity is one of the weakest forces in the universe, so the energy to overcome it might not be as powerful as the energy produced from nuclear energy which is many time more powerful than gravity.

And as to why anyone would do it. Imagine flying to 30,000 feet and stopping at something like an airport or train station. every time we open a corridor for travel outposts and way stations spring up at crossing points and then communities spring up around the opportunities there.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Force is force. You got gravity force on one side of equation and you need equal ammount of force on other side. There is no way around it. So while gravity is the weakest, there is 6*10^24 kg of stuff under your feet that wants to keep you down.

If it's possible one day to have house in the sky, it'll still be a waste of energy.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
If it's possible one day to have house in the sky, it'll still be a waste of energy.

There's a chance, though, that eventually technology will advance to the point where a flying house requires just a negligible amount of energy - in which case there'll be no harm in providing one for whoever wishes to have one. It would be like if someone wrote a 200 page story in Wordpad about kjaggard and Italian UFO challenging each other to a farting contest to see who can fart the loudest. That would also be a waste of energy, but since it requires nothing more than 500 kb or so on a hard drive, it doesn't matter much.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

There's a chance, though, that eventually technology will advance to the point where a flying house requires just a negligible amount of energy - in which case there'll be no harm in providing one for whoever wishes to have one. It would be like if someone wrote a 200 page story in Wordpad about kjaggard and Italian UFO challenging each other to a farting contest to see who can fart the loudest. That would also be a waste of energy, but since it requires nothing more than 500 kb or so on a hard drive, it doesn't matter much.

Lol Honestly I wont take part to such a contest. By the time We have flying islands, I think humans wont longer fart or burp. They will only do such things only if they want to preserve these capabilities.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,214 posts

Well I flatus... I mean flattered but I feel there had to be a better example than that available. Jeesh.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Do you think in the future we can have houses or islands flying in the skies? It seems science fiction at this time but I think such a technology would add an incredible beauty to our world. To dont talk about the pratical side of this technology when applied to smaller objects. I was watching a commercial of the late 80s early 90s and an humanoide husband and wife wanted to take a picture of themself togheter but no one was around, so they pressed a botton and the camera remained suspended in the air while taking pictures of the two. Anyway, do you think such technology would ever be possible? and when? what are the possible solutions to create such technology by using a bit of immagination?

Balloons and dirigibles come to mind. If we discover cheap, super-strong and super-lightweight materials, we could use them to make blimps, and lighter-than-air aircraft might become more common. You could install small houses under them, though I'm not sure why anyone would want to live in one. 

The "flying camera" device might actually be feasible soon. It would just be a hummingbird-like flying drone with an integrated camera and microphone. This seems like the next logical step after selfie sticks and the owl-sized flying camera drones people use today. A significant share of people like to record themselves and upload the videos to the internet (go watch some travel vlogs on YouTube), and they'd surely find hummingbird cameras to be useful. 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 12,717 posts

I also wonder about such flying structures being built and used in the higher atmospheric levels of of a gas giant like Jupiter or even a smaller planet like Venus.  Perhaps there is a sweet spot in their atmosphere that would be relatively conducive to human life.  I am thinking in terms of gravity, pressure, and temperature. 

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users