Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are the chances that machines/ Robots will destroy humans because they will consider us very inferior?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
The machines in the future will not be singular. They will have their own evolutionary tree like we humans have our own, meaning they will branch out into millions of different variants, each having their own specializations and adaptions to different circumstances. It will be a literal explosion on a scale our biological minds won't be able to comprehend. Of course, many of us will go along with the ride by merging with them but even then, we cyborg-humans won't be the same to one other. Each of us will be vastly different from one other due to effects of exponential change and lightning fast self-upgrades - like a scaling slide across the electromagnetic spectrum.

But many won't become machine. My self I plan to stay human for 1000 years then upgreade myself. still i want to be more biological and mantain my phyisical characteristics even when I will upgrade myself.

EpochSix

EpochSix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of technologies that allow you to experience more, do more, and increase your learning abilities? If you want to live that long I highly doubt you'll be able to without upgrading yourself with non-biological technology. Many of the advanced anti-ageing technologies of the future will be based on incorporating nanotechnology into your body to maintain your vitals. Why would you intentionally let yourself fall far behind civilization in terms of intelligence and capabilities? Why would you stand by idly as non-biological intelligence sky rockets above your own when you could have the opportunity to advance alongside them by incorporating their systems into your own?

Edited by EpochSix, 16 February 2013 - 03:48 AM.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

My question is why would you set plans in stone now when there is a (relatively) high probability of real, fundamental change on the horizon?  I think we need to place more emphasis on recognizing and quantifying our uncertainty.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Yeah I agree but because we have time, we have to use every second of it to plan it well. one day time will speed faster and we wont have much time for choices

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

True but it is important to be able to account for change in your plans.  Especially when the change is as powerful and fundamental as what we're likely to experience.

If I saw "singularity" in the Word Association II thread, I would respond with "uncertainty."  We are going to have to deal with some extremely fundamental issues in the next few decades, and whatever happens all I'm sure about is this: that the world I have to look forward to is going to be incredibly different from the one I live in today.

Given that, my plan is to keep my eyes and mind open and be as adaptable as I can.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I really hope things work best for humanity :)

I apologize but somtimes I fear that we are going to merge in one big compituer and loose individuality. Thats one of my main concern.

I hope we manage to preserve our individuality and some biological features even in the very far future.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

I hope so too!

I'm optimistic about it though... I think it is unnecessary to assume that transcending implies the loss of individuality.  I think that assumption is a mirage caused by the fact that we're "under" the singularity, looking up at it as we accelerate toward it.  If that makes sense.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
I hope so too!

I'm optimistic about it though... I think it is unnecessary to assume that transcending implies the loss of individuality.  I think that assumption is a mirage caused by the fact that we're "under" the singularity, looking up at it as we accelerate toward it.  If that makes sense.

it does make sense absolutely. I should try to be more optimistic thats for sure. According to you when do you think singularity may occur?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Kurzweil thinks 2045... I'd say later, maybe 2050-60... I think of it more like a process than an event that you can pin a date on, though.  Depending on how you look at at--how far out you zoom--you could say we're in the midst of the singularity right now.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I always consider that singularity will occur on the 60s. I always picture myself being old man with grey hair but pretty health at this time.  By looking at the window I start to see some flying cars and robots cleaning the trash outside along with humans with some colorful clothes. I feel that I dont loger fit in this world but at the same time I am excited to live more and more waiting for the day earth will become a real heaven.

A robot pet is next to me and we watch TV as I sit on a very confortable couch and some AI announces that  there is a countdown to achieve singularity. Once is reached there is a world celebration and a lots of philosophical debate. In matter of 1-3 years we do the progress that at this time we would achieve in 10 years....we will start to see some real exponetial progress.

Thats when I picture singularity, Now it will be funny to read this article in 2069 for example :) if the futuretime line will still be on :)

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Haha I like it.  I'll meet you there

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Personally I like to imagine is being a long process and that we are already in the first stages of it. If you go by the definition of the singularity being a point where you can no longer predict what the future will bring, then technology is already coming at as so quickly that most people have trouble seeing all the technology. Every day stuff shows up that surprises people. No one can really keep up with all the technology. Economics and politics are lagging behind a bit and when they catch up we will start to see some really crazy stuff and then we will truly enter the singularity I believe.

Of course, for the purpose of this thread we seem to be talking about the singularity in terms of having super intelligent computer. I am optimistic in thinking more of in the 20-30's. Once we get small break through rapid increases in technology should be expected. When we have a computer that can simulate a child's level of intelligence it will probably only take 5 years to jump from that to superhuman level intelligence in a computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users