Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much would you be willing to pay to have your genome sequenced ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay to have your genome sequenced (right now)? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

How much would you be willing to pay to have your genome sequenced ?

1. Only for free (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Up to $10 (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. $10-$20 (1 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. $20-$50 (1 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

5. $50-$100 (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

6. $100-$200 (8 votes [34.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

7. $200-$500 (4 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

8. $500-$1000 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. $1000 + (0 votes [0.00%])

10. I don't want my genome sequenced (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

The price of genome sequencing continues to fall, eventually it will be affordable to almost everyone, but how much would you be willing to pay to have your genome sequenced today ?

Edited by Zaphod, 17 February 2013 - 01:50 PM.

Planetnirn

Planetnirn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Today?? 200-500. It is half the price and is still alot though not as low as to be rediculous.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I am for cheap medicine costs

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Interesting.  So many of you may have your entire genome sequenced perhaps within the next 10 years or less. The question is, how will the industry cope with the demand. I think it will be a thing a lot of people wont get around to doing as the benefits are not immediately obvious. I think I would pay no more than $200, I would pay more, but the knowledge that it would probably be cheaper in a few years would make me delay.

The potential will become staggering as more is learnt about our genes and then we will begin to tailor our lifestyles/diet/drugs around what our genes tell us. Of course, current wisdom suggests the majority wont follow this advice but nonetheless I think it will have a big impact on life expectancy and medical costs.

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
I agree with Zaphod, genome sequencing has much potential. It would save thousands of dollars on check ups alone and not to mention lives.I would pay 250 for it.
Omega point or extinction.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

It's amazing the progress we've made in 20 years, in 1990 when the human genome project began it was thought it would cost untold millions of dollars and take several millennia with contemporary technology. It makes you laugh that we're now tackling projects such as the 1000 genomes project, and are barely braking a sweat.

• Cody930 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users